11 replies to this topic

#1 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,438 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

POPULAR

vQLPT.jpg

Microsoft's Windows Store protection has been cracked. Pirates have released a hacking application that allows users to turn trial versions of Windows Store apps into full versions. The package includes programs to sideload unsigned apps so that they can be run on Windows 8, as well as source code and documentation.

Betanews reports that installing the hacking application Wsservice_crk requires patching system files before it can be used so it's definitely risky because replacing core system files can lead to various stability and security related issues. Afterwards, pirates only have to press a single button to turn the trail version of Windows Store apps into full version but they won't be able to update the cracked apps in future.

The crack is compatible with x86 based systems so it will run on Windows 8 only. Windows RT devices are not compatible.

Note: Cracking is illegal and risky which can lead to stability and security related issues.

#2 Elhuyar

Elhuyar

Active WinMatrixian

• 364 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

I bought a few apps on Windows Store so I'll stay away from it.

#3 Darren 54

Darren 54

Active WinMatrixian

• 548 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

First the OS itself got cracked and now the Windows Store apps... :no:

#4 Secured Tim

Secured Tim

Call me Tim

• 2,085 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Well, that was inevitable.

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

This was bound to happen.

Anyway, this is not a good idea at all, unless you actually want Microsoft banning your Microsoft Account from signing into Windows 8 altogether or something.

#6 Abador

Abador

Abador

• 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

I was expecting something like Jailbreak as in iOS to get a notification center or other tweaks.

#7 Guest_Asian_*

Guest_Asian_*

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

windows 8 is not being cracked

#8 R@6271M3

R@6271M3

Donnie

• 347 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

It's just a start. I believe there will be a jailbreak or custom pirated edition. :lol:

#9 CAS91572

CAS91572

Active WinMatrixian

• 640 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Well, that was only a matter of time :no: I am staying away from it though! :no:

#10 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

considering that most of the Windows 8 apps is HTML + javascript, very few are actual precompiled binaries, yeah, bad move, the submitters to the Windows store, if they are not using a compileable language, is basically selling you the source code, then you can do whatever you want with this.

Long story short: if you cant compile the app + obfuscate it, dont use that language. It's what i have been saying for YEARS. HTML as a programming language is useless.

#11 Guest_Techie_*

Guest_Techie_*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

I'm against piracy but Wsservice_crk allows users to sideload unsigned (unofficial) apps. This crack is great for distributing homebrew apps. ;)

#12 JKTJogi

JKTJogi

WinMatrixian

• 86 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Cracking is illegal and risky which can lead to stability and security related issues.

Were that, this statement could prevent piracy.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows store, piracy