Ubuntu 12.10 Has Been Officially Released
Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:19 PM
Powered by Linux kernel 3.5 and the GNOME 3.6 desktop environment (with an enhanced Unity interface on top of it) the Ubuntu 12.10 release brings overall improvements, updated apps, and lots of new features.
Quantal Quetzal comes in the following official editions: Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Cloud Server, Ubuntu ARM, Ubuntu Netboot, Ubuntu Core, Ubuntu Studio, Edubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and Mythbuntu.
Under the hood of Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal):
· Unity 3D interface 6.6;
· GNOME 3.6 packages;
· Linux kernel 3.5;
· X.Org 7.7;
· Xorg Server 1.13;
· Mesa 9.0;
· GCC 4.7 toolchain;
· Python 2.7 and 3.2;
· Compiz Fusion 0.9.8.4.
The Ubuntu 12.10 feature tour:
· DVD only release - this is the first time when Ubuntu Desktop image comes only on DVD, as the CD images were dropped. The Ubuntu Server remains on CD though;
· No Alternate version - the Ubuntu Desktop Alternate edition was also dropped from this release - only the Desktop version remains;
· Enhanced desktop experience powered by Unity - now with Previews, Amazon search, new Lens and Scopes, suggestions, Web Apps integration, cleaner panel, as well as numerous fixes and refinements;
· LVM and full disk encryption support - implemented right in the installer;
· Web Apps - this is also the first release of Ubuntu to integrate native support for web applications;
· Up-to-date office suite - LibreOffice has been updated to version 3.6.1;
· Up-to-date web browser and email client - powered by Mozilla’s Firefox and Thunderbird 16.0.1 products;
· 11 new beautiful wallpapers - from various photographers and artists around the world;
· Improved login screen - now with support for remote logins too;
· ...and many more other small features for you to discover!
Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:34 AM
Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:53 PM
I use Lubuntu (the 'lite' version of linux) - do you think I'm missing out on anything?