• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

Ubuntu 12.10 now includes both Amazon ads in the user's dash and by default an Amazon store in the user's launcher. The reason for these 'features'? Affiliate revenue. Despite previous controversies with Banshee and Yahoo, Canonical is 'confident it will be an interesting and useful feature for our 12.10 users.' But are the 'users' becoming products?"

The ad looks like this:

Posted Image

Source: Slashdot, Benjaminkerensa

#2 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Bye bye Ubuntu, not using your OS if it is pulling ads

#3 hb860

hb860

Super WinMatrixian

• Developer
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

I am never consider Ubuntu as candidate for my desktop OS.
:no:
Debian :wub:

#4 demortes

demortes

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

Open source is going to mean that someone, if not Canonsense, is going to make it optional.

#5 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

DD-WRT = Block Ads at the router anyway, but still a crappy move

#6 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

Gonna test it and then judge 12.10. Not really a big issue i think.

Rather see some ads than give up my privacy. But nowadays both can hardly be avoided if you wanna use a "free" product.

Edited by Borix, 24 September 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#7 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

Whoops. Canonical struck an iceberg here.

#8 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Ubuntu selling out???? Wow, Microsoft must be laughing their heads off. If all open source programs follow up with this like Linux Mint we're in serious trouble because those ads will grow if anyone even realizes that is the evolution of advertisement it starts off small in a little corner and its just in your face all the freaking time. Screw you Ubuntu I see what's coming and I'm not standing for it!!!!

#9 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

Ubuntu selling out???? Wow, Microsoft must be laughing their heads off. If all open source programs follow up with this like Linux Mint we're in serious trouble because those ads will grow if anyone even realizes that is the evolution of advertisement it starts off small in a little corner and its just in your face all the freaking time. Screw you Ubuntu I see what's coming and I'm not standing for it!!!!

MS hasn't even noticed it. Linux isn't a threat to them.

#10 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:45 AM

??? Ads built into the OS... Where the fuck is my Windows 7 disc?

#11 GhostMatrix

GhostMatrix

New WinMatrixian

• 37 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Bah!

Just open up a terminal and run:
sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping

bye bye ads! :whistle:

GM

#12 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

MS hasn't even noticed it. Linux isn't a threat to them.

What do think Windows "tiles" are a pre-text for? Windows soon enough will be running live TV style commercials in those tiles as you work.
Adwords and banner ads are penny-ante stuff. Big money is in video commercials. That's the ball Microsoft has their eye on, and the first step was to devise a delivery system - Windows 8. Why do you think they are willing to take the huge lumps they are getting right now? Microsoft isn't stupid, they are greedy. Microsoft knows that after the dust settles, they will be left with a delivery system in place to pipe live video commercials without the user being able to do anything about it. They'll drop the price of the OS $20.00 and advertise how advertiser's will cut the cost to the consumer, and all the Windows users will grumble a little then accept it.

How do I know this? ;-) ;-x

#13 Gr8

Gr8

New WinMatrixian

• 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

If it breaks their TOS or whatever to somehow remove these ads, then its officially not open source (right?). 

I'm not against companies earning affiliate commissions in exchange for letting me use something of theirs for free, but an operating system is a little different. well, WAY different. 

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!