New to the wallpaper making scene

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Gardnjam

Gardnjam

New WinMatrixian

• 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 11:04 PM

Hi all I am new here and was wondering if you guys could give me any tips on making wallpapers. I have never really had a proper go at it before , but want to make some to put on my friends website.

Tips would be apreciated such as what sort of wallpapers are popular?
sort of effects to use?

Thank you

#2 Areus

Areus

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,282 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 11:07 PM

Your best bet is to get a program, familiarize yourself with it, and start making things on your own. Then possibly use some tutorials to fuel your creations.

thats what I did at least.

Welcome to WinMatrix.

#3 giuliame

giuliame

Using Powerbook night and day

• 626 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:44 AM

Welcome. Just let your fantasy roam free!

#4 Matchbook

Matchbook

Matchbookgirl

• 230 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:59 AM

You don't necessarily need a briefing on making wallpapers as much as you need to find a good graphics editor then continue honing your skills to bring out the best of what you'll have to offer. Don't spend time trying to do "what's trendy", but instead focus your energies on what kind of wallpapers YOU can make that reflect you. Taking note of various web trends/styles is always good [for any graphics designers] but try not to let them dictate your work but instead GUIDE you.

As for programs, there are several and ultimately it comes down to your budget.
If money is no object I 150% suggest Photoshop.
Posted Image
:bulletgreen:Visit Abode's site for more photoshop details.

Next down the list and in no particular order is the less-expensive, but almost as good,
:bulletgreen:Photoshop Elements. All PS Elements is, is basically a "scaled down" version of the fully featured Photoshop CS. Elements is a good start.

Next is
Posted Image
:bulletgreen:Jasc's PaintShop Pro which is, to many a competitor of Photoshop, only much more affordable. I tend to lean towards Photoshop myself, but you'll have to ultimately decide for yourself which YOU prefer.

There's also Corel's Creative Suite which is, by most means a very substantial program. Especially handy for icon making.

Lastly, there IS a free option and I know many who use it:
:bulletgreen:Gimp
It's freeware, licensed under the GNU [general public license]. I'd say it's at least worth a shot if you can not afford a graphics program.

Before you even delve into a 3d application [Bryce, Vue d'Esprit, 3DS Max, Lightwave8, Cinema4D or Maya] I'd suggest fully familiarizing yourself with a good graphics editor. This includes, but is not limited to, web site template making, custom banners, bullets, sigs, avatars, wallpapers and so forth. Photo manipulation is also a good means of familiarizing yourself with any given graphics tool.

As for popular effects, there's many. I'd suggest browsing this site to start with, starting with the wallpaper section then moving onto other sites.

:bulletorange:WinCustomize
:bulletorange:SkinBase
:bulletorange:DeviantArt
:bulletorange:MillaMeter.com -- [A Friend]
:bulletorange:depthCORE

- Those sites should get you started, at least on deciding for yourself what styles/effects you're after or wanting to learn.

If you're wanting a good photoshop tutorial site, the only one I have ever frequently visited is Good Tutorials. All of the tutorials there are user-submitted, so there's literally thousands there to give you a nice heads-up.

If you'd like to check out some of my work, you'll find 60 or so at WinCustomize.com, several here and some on my site.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this was a help... Happy wall-making! :)

Edited by sbgFX, 11 February 2005 - 02:00 AM.

#5 cmkumar2k

cmkumar2k

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:26 AM

that's right. sbgFX gave U a big list with the links to visit. now spend time on them and start the journey!

ALL THE BEST!

#6 Aqua Structure

Aqua Structure

long-time listener, first-time caller

• 1,595 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:59 AM

I use CorelDraw. I find that it has a very intuitive interface, is a snap to learn, and can still be used for very complicated stuff (just check out some of [Mormegil's] stuff to see what I mean. Morm also has some great "CorelDraw for Skinners" tutorials on that site.

Edited by Aqua Structure, 11 February 2005 - 04:59 AM.

#7 Gardnjam

Gardnjam

New WinMatrixian

• 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:57 AM

Hi everyone and thank you for your replies. I have decided that I will use Adobe Photoshop cs and am getting it today.

I will take the advice you have given. Again many thanks and I look foward to sharing some of my work with you in the future.

#8 +mw.pmi

+mw.pmi

Masterworks®

• 763 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, SBG-FX said it all in a knutt-shell! Photoshop 7.0.1 and CS are the best to use. If you wanna do 3D, programs like Poser, Bryce, Lightwave 7, 3DSMax 5, and/or 6, and Maya 4, 5, or 6 are also helpful.

Like SBG-FX said, get familiar with the program that suits you best, and DO NOT BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT and do CROSSOVERS between programs, like Ulead Photo Impact 8 crossover with PS CS and others.
:yes: :) B) ;)

Also, if you desire other additional member sites to display your "masterpieces" of Wallpaperism, here are other links too:
Posted ImageTSS2000.NL
Posted ImageBELCHFIRE.NET
Posted ImageSHADOWNESS
Posted ImageSKINBASE

For Signatures/Avatar Submissions and Competitions:
Posted ImageCLAN TEMPLATES
Posted ImageANIMEDD FORUM

Posted Image Good Luck!

Edited by Level1, 11 February 2005 - 01:41 PM.

#9 Siraka_Serion_Semi

Siraka_Serion_Semi

S3

• Global Moderator
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 12:22 PM

And check the Wallpaper websites thread ;)

#10 Neofall

Neofall

Matrixian

• Elites
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 02:26 PM

Remember practice makes a man perfect.

#11 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 08:29 PM

Shouldn't this thread be pinned? :D
Thanks for the posts.

Thread Pinned

#12 tinkupuri

tinkupuri

Tinku Puri

• 117 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:46 AM

there is no such a defination of Wallpaper creation...but when you making a wallpapers somethings you should keep in mind

:bulletblue: Requierment: One Computer that works best For Any Lattest Softwares....Like Photoshop CorelDraw ,Illustrator CS etc... i recommend you to use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator CS for Wallpaper Creation.....And Knowladge to use them......

Here are some Tips For Wallpaper designing.

:lamp: Colors: use such cool colors which any can see them for longer....it means wallpapers should have propers colors which gives you cool look and anybody keep that Desktop for longtime....And if you are posting your wallpaper here ...than everyboly here is color lovers it means all are fan of cool colors ...basically blue....green...red...yellow ...etc....

:lamp: Keep your themes: Keep your sub in focus and highlight them .... and your wallpaper should tell story as you mentioned in tittle....dont try to put any unnessesary things in your wallpaper...

:lamp: Size: size is matter when you are posting your wallpaper....Genrally its 4:3 aspect ratio means (1600px x 1200px,1280px x 1024px...) Try to keep your size 1600px x 1200px so everybody can resize them as their needs....
if you are designing wallpaper for HDTV screen then you should have your aspect rastio 1.85:1 its for wide screen TV
if you are designing wallpaper for Dual Display then size should be 3200px x 1200px

after apply all this principals you can create Standard Wallpaper.

(Y) All the Best for Wallpaper Creation....

#13 gsrdemon

gsrdemon

Evangelist

• 425 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:05 PM

I learned a lot...
Awesome thread :star:

Edited by gsrdemon, 15 February 2005 - 01:07 PM.

#14 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:34 PM

And when you make a wallpaper you shouldn't expect that everybody would like it. It's possible that for you your wallpapers is the best but for someone else that can be worst. So don't be disappointed by reading unlikely comments. Try to learn out of that criticism.
Rest you well understand :)

#15 Dx™

Dx™

-Lonely.

• 151 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:06 PM

Another reason for me to start making wallpapers.:D

#16 Voofeek

Voofeek

New WinMatrixian

• 23 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:11 PM

Gardnjam the best way for your inspiration, is to go to the tutorial pages, then after learning some useful things you will amaze us :o ;)

Tutorial heaven

#17 Siraka_Serion_Semi

Siraka_Serion_Semi

S3

• Global Moderator
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:20 PM

And here are all the nice tutorial websites: Click Here

#18 Kyuubi

Kyuubi

Active WinMatrixian

• 544 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:35 PM

And when you make a wallpaper you shouldn't expect that everybody would like it. It's possible that for you your wallpapers is the best but for someone else that can be worst. So don't be disappointed by reading unlikely comments. Try to learn out of that criticism.
Rest you well understand :)

Yes, I agree....just do you own thing and don't be afriad to show us what you got man!...:yes:

#19 akkasone

akkasone

WinMatrixian

• 91 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:34 PM

See this link for anything more

What is the Most Sexiest thing you look for

(Y)

akka
:)

#20 kenshinmf

kenshinmf

New WinMatrixian

• 23 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:10 AM

:D
I am wondering what does it means to render an image?Or why should I do this?
Please enlight me!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!