27 replies to this topic

#1 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

8rI3v.jpg

According to a recent article on Win8China, the latest internal builds of Windows 8 no longer feature the desktop gadgets, and the platform might not include them as the RTM milestone is reached.

These gadgets were still present in the Consumer Preview and Release Preview versions of Windows 8 but, as Microsoft is moving towards the general availability of the product, they are bound to disappear. The internal builds of Windows 8, in the 844x area, no longer feature mentions of these features in the control panel or desktop mode.

Microsoft originally introduced a desktop widget engine in its Windows Vista operating system, utilizing a special sidebar. The mini-apps are based on HTML and can obtain information from web feeds. Microsoft removed the sidebar part of its gadgets implementation in Windows 7, but continued to support the standalone gadgets. The apparent removal could be linked to Microsoft's continued Metro push and the fact developers can build HTML Metro style apps.

Microsoft is expected to make Windows 8 RTM available before the end of this month.

#2 Darren 54

Darren 54

Active WinMatrixian

• 548 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Metro live tiles are gadgets! :D

#3 Chrominator

Chrominator

Active WinMatrixian

• 671 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

If the Metro mode can be used side-by-side with the classic desktop then we don't need these old Dashboard style gadgets. ;)

#4 Tataarujin

Tataarujin

Fight to the end. Be in the shadows.

• 422 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

Gadgets can do few things at the same time. Metro tile only have one function. M$ really sucks.

#5 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 575 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

If the Metro mode can be used side-by-side with the classic desktop then we don't need these old Dashboard style gadgets. ;)

but MS is not trying to integrate metro to classic ui. they are taking things away from classic ui in the false hope that it will make people use metro ui. the ms ui development team really need some proper guidence. They really lack imagination.

#6 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

but MS is not trying to integrate metro to classic ui. they are taking things away from classic ui in the false hope that it will make people use metro ui. the ms ui development team really need some proper guidence. They really lack imagination.

Where are they taking away from the Classic UI? The Desktop is still there in all it's glory.

#7 NazarSoulful

NazarSoulful

New WinMatrixian

• 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

finally Posted Image

#8 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Where are they taking away from the Classic UI? The Desktop is still there in all it's glory.

Really? And where's the start menu? Or why should I go through the metro screen when I want to turn the PC on & off?

PS: I'm not really waiting for an answer. I know it - Microsoft is definitely not forcing us to use Metro. Yea...

Edited by mediar, 06 July 2012 - 02:44 PM.

#9 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

yeah, another thread that turned into metro hate...i'm not even going to bother.

#10 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:01 AM

Really? And where's the start menu? Or why should I go through the metro screen when I want to turn the PC on & off?

PS: I'm not really waiting for an answer. I know it - Microsoft is definitely not forcing us to use Metro. Yea...

Why are you clicking into the Start Screen to shut down? The Charms bar can be invoked on the desktop, or just press Win+I. And if you really think the Start Menu had any life in it, it's time to smell the coffee.

#11 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

Why are you clicking into the Start Screen to shut down? The Charms bar can be invoked on the desktop, or just press Win+I. And if you really think the Start Menu had any life in it, it's time to smell the coffee.

Well, yeah, it seems I struggle to remember the 30 new hotkeys, present in Windows 8, in order to do really basic operations...damn.

And, please tell me, what do you mean with "life in Start menu"?
Can you open all your installed apps from there? Yes.
Can you open your key folders from there ( My Documents/Pictures/Music/Computer/etc )? Yes.
Can you search from there? Yes.
Is it small and handy? Yes.
Has everybody already go used to it? Yes.

What's the deal with changing it? It lacks the live tiles, but you have/had widgets.

#12 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

Well, yeah, it seems I struggle to remember the 30 new hotkeys, present in Windows 8, in order to do really basic operations...damn.

Can you open your key folders from there ( My Documents/Pictures/Music/Computer/etc )? Yes.

What's the deal with changing it? It lacks the live tiles, but you have/had widgets.

I dont get it either why this sudden change, because there is no such thing as "the time is right to do a change" because why fix something that isnt broken?

#13 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

You're arguing just to argue now. It changed to get rid of the God awful 32x32 and 16x16 icons that can't exist on tablets, it changed because we now have access to different forms of I/O devices - touch, motion, mouse, etc. The Start Screen is about "always on" functionality. It's evolved to become a dashboard to your PC just like the XBox and Windows Phone. Hence, "Three Screens and A Cloud". Still want to argue now? :rolleyes:

Edited by Frylock86, 07 July 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#14 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

You're arguing just to argue now. It changed to get rid of the God awful 32x32 and 16x16 icons that can't exist on tablets, it changed because we now have access to different forms of I/O devices - touch, motion, mouse, etc. The Start Screen is about "always on" functionality. It's evolved to become a dashboard to your PC just like the XBox and Windows Phone. Hence, "Three Screens and A Cloud". Still want to argue now? :rolleyes:

Dude...don't bother replying...

This topic was about Desktop Gadgets...and as expected, it somehow just had to become another reason to hate on Windows 8. This is becoming tiresome - and not to mention, ridiculous.

Very few people used desktop gadgets. Developers also made really low-quality gadgets. In my opinion, the gadget platform as a whole was poorly engineered. Each gadget took up an entire process, contributing to pointless memory usage and CPU cycles, impacting startup times, and even contributing to adverse battery life on laptops. Gadgets were ugly, and didn't work with existing apps and services on your PC. Gadgets occupy real estate on your desktop without much benefit. There are plenty of reasons on why Microsoft is killing it. Just let it be. Even Dashboard widgets on Mac OSX are starting to rot.

To haters: please don't reply to my post if you're not interested in staying on-topic.

Edited by FalseAgent, 07 July 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#15 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

I haven't used gadgets since Vista days, end even then they were more gimmicky than anything. Not really sad or anything that they're being removed.

Also, Frylock, don't waste your time with mediar, he's got one hell of a hard-on for you and is just trying to piss you off for no good reason. Kinda sad really.

#16 William N Stl

William N Stl

New WinMatrixian

• 23 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Perhaps in Windows 9 or Windows 10 Microsoft will announce they are going to group the programs, control panel, search box, and the shutdown in one location, and call it a new feature.

#17 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

And you guys still don't think Windows 8 is the worst thing MS has ever made? YOU MAD?!

#18 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

And you guys still don't think Windows 8 is the worst thing MS has ever made? YOU MAD?!

I'd say the worst was Windows ME or Windows Vista, or even Windows XP before Service Pack 2.

Windows 8 is different, that's all.

#19 William N Stl

William N Stl

New WinMatrixian

• 23 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

Windows 8 is worse than 'BOB'.

#20 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Windows 8 is worse than 'BOB'.

Posted Image

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: widget