Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Microsoft removed Windows Start button because people stopped using it

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Start Button (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you really stop using start button in Windows 7?

1. Yes (6 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. No (42 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#21 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:09 PM

Not sure I understand this reasoning, as the Start Button is still there. In fact, there's three now on Windows 8, two of them being on screen.

What they should have said was that the Start Menu of old was ready to evolve, and fit to today's PCs. The Start Screen is a lovely addition to Windows 8, and I can't wait to see it's potential unleashed in the next few years.

Just stop it, really.

Stop what? There's no denying the old paradigm wasn't sustainable. PCs are moving on from being mouse-only point and click machines, to smaller, mobile, and more interactive and dynamic machines. Had Microsoft kept the desktop paradigm in Windows 8, they would be in trouble by the time Windows 9 rolls around.

Edited by Frylock86, 01 July 2012 - 12:10 AM.

#22 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 575 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Microsoft is being very self centered here. They want to promote metro and windows app store and the way they found is to force metro ui to desktops. Cleaver? No. Idiots, somebody is going to find a way to remove all those metro craps from our PCs and all your work in bringing metro to windows 8 is in vain. MS just wasted their time and resources here. It is a flawed business strategy. You are forcing us to hate metro.

#23 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Microsoft is being very self centered here. They want to promote metro and windows app store and the way they found is to force metro ui to desktops. Cleaver? No. Idiots, somebody is going to find a way to remove all those metro craps from our PCs and all your work in bringing metro to windows 8 is in vain. MS just wasted their time and resources here. It is a flawed business strategy. You are forcing us to hate metro.

Yeah but if Windows 8 was just an improved version of Windows 7 then people like you still wouldn't upgrade anyway.

#24 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

No one is forcing you to use Metro apps.

#25 pataoengineer

pataoengineer

@pataoengineer

• 1,155 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

"People had stopped using Start button." -- Oh dear, so what am I? :blink:

#26 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

"People had stopped using Start button." -- Oh dear, so what am I? :blink:

A guitar with a blue shirt.

#27 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 575 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

Indeed MS is forcing us. If not why replace start menu with metro start screen? MS could have retained start menu and also include metro apps in windows 8. If that was the case 99% of users wont be using metro UI. So they had this evil plan to replace start menu with metro.

#28 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Indeed MS is forcing us. If not why replace start menu with metro start screen? MS could have retained start menu and also include metro apps in windows 8. If that was the case 99% of users wont be using metro UI. So they had this evil plan to replace start menu with metro.

This +1

#29 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

Because the Start Menu was old and limited. The new Screen is built for today's and future PCs by offering higher resolution icons, and greater customization. I can literally pin anything to it, and am not limited by screen size. Just like the Dashboard on XBox, the Start Screen is acting as a Dashboard to my PC.

Metro is just the beginning of a new era of interactive, dynamic, and convergence computing. Computers are changing - No longer are we kept behind desks all day to complete our tasks. To have increasing mobility, we need an OS that can play equally with ALL machines. Maintaining an odd number of different operating systems for different platforms is a long term nightmare, and the mouse first desktop paradigm isn't sustainable. Microsoft tried Windows 7 tablets, and they failed, and had Microsoft tried that again, they would have still failed miserably. Take a look at the Surface transformer, and you'll see the need for change is there. The Surface and devices like it are going to be the next step forward in computing.

Edited by Frylock86, 02 July 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#30 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 575 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Because the Start Menu was old and limited. The new Screen is built for today's and future PCs by offering higher resolution icons, and greater customization. I can literally pin anything to it, and am not limited by screen size. Just like the Dashboard on XBox, the Start Screen is acting as a Dashboard to my PC.

Metro is just the beginning of a new era of interactive, dynamic, and convergence computing. Computers are changing - No longer are we kept behind desks all day to complete our tasks. To have increasing mobility, we need an OS that can play equally with ALL machines. Maintaining an odd number of different operating systems for different platforms is a long term nightmare, and the mouse first desktop paradigm isn't sustainable. Microsoft tried Windows 7 tablets, and they failed, and had Microsoft tried that again, they would have still failed miserably. Take a look at the Surface transformer, and you'll see the need for change is there. The Surface and devices like it are going to be the next step forward in computing.

I agree that the future is convergence computing. But metro in windows 8 is flawed because there is divergence in UI in the same PC. If convergence is the plan why two such contrasting UIs that does not fit together at all. It is like for the sake of convergence lets have metro too in windows 8, Now your PC can sync everything with your tab, phone blah blah..

Desktop UI is fully evolved and we dont need any revolutionary change there. What we need is integration of old and new interfaces. If metro was like a sidebar on your desktop that expands to full view when you slide it to left with in your desktop with start menus and taskbar at bottom i would have loved it. That would have enhanced user experience. Now there is a start menu from which i can launch normal apps and i can switch between my apps fluently including metro apps.

But now to start an app i have to go to metro start screen (or even if i click that charms it takes me to metro). Then i somehow managed to find it and clicked it. But the app is not a metro app so UI switches back to conventional UI. All this switching between contrasting UI is really a pain. I am browsing something in metro IE. I want to copy some text i was reading to notepad. I copied and opened notepad from charms bar. Now i am back to desktop with notepad. If i want to copy paste more again go back to metro switch back to notepad (because if i open IE from desktop task bar it opens a new instance of IE which has no relation to metro IE), look how such a simple task becomes a complicated procedure if you add metro to the equation. The point is metro should not run over desktop. It should run within desktop for fluent UI experience. This is were MS design of metro UI in PC is flawed. Metro is great for tablets and phones where content consumption is the main aspect. For PCs content manipulation is the thing. In that case metro sucks and conventional UI rocks. Metro in windows 8 will be good only if it obeys the rules of desktop UI else metro is the hunchback of windows 8.

Edited by theapu, 02 July 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#31 CAS91572

CAS91572

Active WinMatrixian

• 640 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:57 AM

I agree with you. Besides, I've gotten use to NOT having the start button!

#32 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

I guess Windows Explorer is next. We will have apps for photos, music, documents, and more. No need for cd burners, since everything is moving away from it at high speeds.

This is not going to be good.

Edited by yanike, 04 July 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#33 Tataarujin

Tataarujin

Fight to the end. Be in the shadows.

• 422 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

Yeah yeah yeah, you're edgy, I got it.

#34 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Actually Microsoft IS forcing Metro on us. Wasnt Metro originally just pretty much HTML5 apps on the desktop?
I have had a LOT of peole tell me that i need to stop doing Desktop apps now and start doing Metro apps.
fuck that, i hate XAML. Hell I hate HTML. how about we keep the Web on the Web and the Desktop on the Desktop?
Seriously, Metro is what you get when Web developers want to try and play with the real application developers.
Web apps = not real apps. cant compile in to a self-hosting exe? not real app.

final note, frylock said
"to smaller, mobile, and more interactive and dynamic machines"

yeah it is going to work so great on my 32 inch monitor that i use as my second display. FAIL. Also, dont know if you know this, Metro will NOT extend itself to a second display. the second display is a Traditional Desktop display. Lol, MS cant even get there own shit right. Shouldnt a true Metro extend to Display:1 and Display:2?

#35 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Actually Microsoft IS forcing Metro on us. Wasnt Metro originally just pretty much HTML5 apps on the desktop?
I have had a LOT of peole tell me that i need to stop doing Desktop apps now and start doing Metro apps.
fuck that, i hate XAML. Hell I hate HTML. how about we keep the Web on the Web and the Desktop on the Desktop?
Seriously, Metro is what you get when Web developers want to try and play with the real application developers.
Web apps = not real apps. cant compile in to a self-hosting exe? not real app.

final note, frylock said
"to smaller, mobile, and more interactive and dynamic machines"

yeah it is going to work so great on my 32 inch monitor that i use as my second display. FAIL. Also, dont know if you know this, Metro will NOT extend itself to a second display. the second display is a Traditional Desktop display. Lol, MS cant even get there own shit right. Shouldnt a true Metro extend to Display:1 and Display:2?

Majority of Windows users use Windows with just 1 screen. On top of that, majority of Windows users are actually on a laptop or some kind of mobile device with a small screen (probably <17"), so it's understandable that they're optimizing for these smaller screens rather than large.

I haven't tried a multi-monitor setup on Windows 8, but I heard that you can now drag metro apps from one screen to another? I'm not sure, but yeah, multi-monitor support needs to improve.

Edited by FalseAgent, 04 July 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#36 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:31 AM

I haven't tried a multi-monitor setup on Windows 8, but I heard that you can now drag metro apps from one screen to another? I'm not sure, but yeah, multi-monitor support needs to improve.

Yes, you can. However, you cannot dual-display Metro anything. I'm hoping that will change.

#37 orcus

orcus

Active WinMatrixian

• 714 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

99.9% of my users will be lost without the start button.... :unsure:

#38 pCgv r t x

pCgv r t x

WinMatrixian

• 161 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

I agree with this.

#39 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

There's no Start Button on any other tech device I'm sure they use, why would they be so lost here? I agree, initially it will be a change, but the lack of a traditional Start Menu isn't that big of a deal.

#40 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 575 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

There's no Start Button on any other tech device I'm sure they use, why would they be so lost here? I agree, initially it will be a change, but the lack of a traditional Start Menu isn't that big of a deal.

Why Microsoft windows dominates over those traditional other tech devices? Because it is so easy to use compared to those other operating systems. The classic UI is so self explanatory that even a child could learn to use windows easily. The start menu has played a major role in that. Now suddenly it is taken away without any reason and windows becomes a bit more difficult to handle.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!