Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Microsoft removed Windows Start button because people stopped using it

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Start Button (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you really stop using start button in Windows 7?

1. Yes (6 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. No (42 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#1 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

Microsoft claims it took the controversial decision to remove the Start button from the traditional Windows desktop because people had stopped using it. :o

It had been widely assumed that Microsoft removed the Start button to force people to familiarize themselves with the new Metro Start screen, which is the centerpiece of the Windows 8 overhaul. However, speaking to PC Pro at TechEd in Amsterdam, a senior Microsoft executive told them that the old Start menu had already fallen out of favor with users of Windows 7.

When we evolved the taskbar we saw awesome adoption of pinning [applications] on the taskbar. We are seeing people pin like crazy. And so we saw the Start menu usage dramatically dropping, and that gave us an option. We’re saying 'look, Start menu usage is dropping, what can we do about it? What can we do with the Start menu to revive it, to give it some new identity, give it some new power?

Do you guy think it is really true? I click on the start button on my Windows 7 PC every other second. :mellow:

Source

#2 Tataarujin

Tataarujin

Fight to the end. Be in the shadows.

• 422 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Microsoft is insane. I use Start button all the time. I launch apps, I search trought it, I TURN MY COMPUTER OFF from it!

#3 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

Since when did I stop using the Start button?

#4 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Well...it seems...Microsoft is full of idiots.
YYYEEEAAA

#5 Mellexx

Mellexx

StanceWorks Addicted

• 329 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

So clearly when I'm clicking on that little orb in the left corner I'm just doing it for shits and giggles! Or even, when I use the win key on my keyboard, hit tab twice and then enter to shut my computer off without having to turn my monitor back on :o Way to go Microsoft..

also I have two apps pinned to my taskbar, and I'm using the settings so it acts like the old taskbar from vista. Sigh

Edited by Mellexx, 28 June 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#6 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

0 Votes for Yes
9 Votes for No

It's conclusive

Also, the search function in the start menu was one of the best parts of Windows 7 - it made it really easy to find basically anything.

#7 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

I love Windows 8 but this is downright bullshit.

#8 parry

parry

Active WinMatrixian

• 710 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

What a load of rubbish. I use the start button all the time! :unsure:

#9 Gragier_521

Gragier_521

WinMatrixer

• 1,785 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

I think lots of people will be using third party apps to enable the start button in Win 8.

#10 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

POPULAR

The people who don't use the start button are the people who just boot up and goto facebook, and also do not disable the Customer Experience Improvement Program, so the only people who's info MS are getting are the dumb facebook fk's

The people who do use the start button are also the ones who disable stupid programs like the customer improvement one so MS is not getting a true look at who is using what

#11 netbox

netbox

Customizer

• 380 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

I think MS got that stats are from people that doesnt know where is start menu.

most of those people are using OEM's with crapware, they just turned the new pc on and use it to check email and social networking and that is why they stop using the start menu...

but for geeks and techy gurus Start Menu on Windows 7 is the place you can make your work done a lot faster.

Edited by netbox, 28 June 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#12 William N Stl

William N Stl

New WinMatrixian

• 23 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

Microsoft is so full of it! Ubuntu is looking more and more like the desktop OS for the PC.

#13 Mayankoo

Mayankoo

Mayank Agarwal

• 177 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Might be, Microsoft collected information from only those who stopped using Start Button...
We who use Start Button like crazy were not included in Microsoft's information gathering thing.. :P

#14 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

POPULAR

The sky is purple, thus the start menu is no longer needed.

That would have made more sense.

#15 Mellexx

Mellexx

StanceWorks Addicted

• 329 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

The sky is purple, thus the start menu is no longer needed.

That would have made more sense.

QFT. No one could argue with that one

#16 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:19 AM

POPULAR

well i guess it needs to be said. MS's focus group for this version of windows was a bunch of retards. or mac users, your choice.

#17 ayoshi

ayoshi

Active WinMatrixian

• 722 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

well i guess it needs to be said. MS's focus group for this version of windows was a bunch of retards. or mac users, your choice.

Agree. :yes:

#18 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Not sure I understand this reasoning, as the Start Button is still there. In fact, there's three now on Windows 8, two of them being on screen.

What they should have said was that the Start Menu of old was ready to evolve, and fit to today's PCs. The Start Screen is a lovely addition to Windows 8, and I can't wait to see it's potential unleashed in the next few years.

#19 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

Not sure I understand this reasoning, as the Start Button is still there. In fact, there's three now on Windows 8, two of them being on screen.

What they should have said was that the Start Menu of old was ready to evolve, and fit to today's PCs. The Start Screen is a lovely addition to Windows 8, and I can't wait to see it's potential unleashed in the next few years.

so the more i develop my Metro Start Menu app, the more i see how it can be useful. only problem is that it is useful... on a tablet. we dont need a full screen on a PC, the PC's monitor resolution is high enough to show a great deal with out needing a bigger start menu. so we all need to face the facts, the start screen is great for lower-reolution monitors and tablets.

I DO enjoy being able to either press the windows key or being able to just to mouse-over a corner. i do enjoy that. having web links in the menu is great also, and i can see how MS thought that it was all good.

on a tablet UI. however.... not for a PC that can reach, say, 1600x900 resolution. huge tile icons like that is a waste.

however, i should say that due to popular request i do have full screen in my app... although i never use it. not for me.

so in the end, through all my rambeling, MS has a good idea with the new start-screen, i dont agree with a full screen, i like the mouse-over and the html tiles in the app.

#20 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Just stop it, really.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!