What's the catch with this laptop?!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

I was browsing Currys's(Not sure if you have that shop in America?) website yesterday and they had laptops with 8GB of ram for £330! There must be something seriously wrong with them, right? Anyone know anything about them? I already have a perfectly good laptop but that price for that much ram is hard to resist!

Link

#2 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

RAM is cheap

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

the catch is that they're all on AMD processors with ATI Mobility Radeon 4xxx graphics, of which the latter is pretty dated but still solid. Not sure about the AMD processors themselves though.

#4 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

I've never seen a laptop with that much ram that cheap before though! For that sort or price you usualy only get 3 or 4 gig

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

I've never seen a laptop with that much ram that cheap before though! For that sort or price you usualy only get 3 or 4 gig

Intel's core processors require DDR3 RAM, but AMD's processors do not. That could explain how they managed to fit in so much RAM in there for so cheap.

Or, the store could be desperate to clear these models.

#6 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Intel's core processors require DDR3 RAM, but AMD's processors do not. That could explain how they managed to fit in so much RAM in there for so cheap.

Or, the store could be desperate to clear these models.

They seem pretty new though
I can't even find any proper reviews of them

#7 mhunkeyz

mhunkeyz

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

Its like never heard branded laptop models and the currency are Euros, so if you convert it to US$, just add like $100 or so.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!