Problem with my Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

So I have an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop which likes to overheat a lot. I've recently used compressed air to clean our as much dust as I could and I decided to flip my laptop vertically so it would get more air intake, and thus hopefully not overheat. I use a wireless keyboard and an external monitor as a result of the laptop being closed.

So usually when my laptop overheats, the screen goes black, and anything going on in the background still goes on (I can still hear music/video going on when the screen is black). Then after around a minute, the computer turns off or goes into hibernation mode. When I turn it on, I get a message saying Windows 7 went into hibernation mode because it overheated blah blah.

So yesterday I was playing Portal 2 for a few hours, I could hear the fan on my laptop going, but it didn't seem too hot. So after a few hours of playing, my laptop suddenly turned off, no background music on. I felt the laptop and it wasn't too hot, but it was a little hotter than usual. When I turned on the laptop, there was no message of overheating, and the computer actually turned off this time, and didn't go into hibernate mode. This actually happened twice while playing Portal 2 (non-steam) and only happened after a few hours of playing, which is pretty good because my laptop could easily heat over 30 minutes of playing a game.

So I'm wondering what exactly happened, and if the shutdown happened as a result of overheating or not. This has never happened to me before so hopefully you guys might know what this might be.

#2 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Yup overheating, except this time the BIOS / Motherboard shut it off to prevent damage rather than windows doing it (Which I have never heard of unless you use a temp monitoring program with hibernate temps set)

Are you keeping the intake vent clear and off soft things like bed / lap / cushion ?

I would take the back off and see if there is a big lump of fluff stuck in the vents, there usually is. Maybe reapply thermal paste too while your in there

#3 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hmm, it's on my desk behind with the bottom side of the laptop facing toward me, and it's actually facing the back of my LED monitor. It should be cooler than when the laptop is is sitting on a desk, because there's limited airflow and I remember the bottom of my laptop used to get really hot, but now it doesn't. Also, the vent which spits out the hot air is very clear and has lots of space to work with. I don't have a temp monitoring program but I think I'm interested in knowing the temp of my laptop so can you recommend one for me?

And yea, I was thinking about taking apart my laptop to have a look at the vents, and the fan, but to do that, it's a mission and you have to literally take everything out (ram, dvd, keyboard, bunch of screws, wires etc)

#4 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Yep its a big job taking them to bits, I used to do it for a living, but if you think of it like a jigsaw puzzle and have labeled pots for screws from different parts and lay the layers on top of each other as you take them out, you should have no problem remembering which way it goes back, as the 1st bit should be on the top of the pile and so on down.

Sometimes a good hard blow into the intake while the fan is spinning can clear them, but also if you only move the fluff it might jam the fan completely and you`ll have to keep blowing into it until it spins again

Coretemp is what I use to monitor my CPU temps, it gives a temp per core, or a single temp of the highest etc
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

If you decide to take it to bits, first Google for the disassembly instructions for that laptop, sometimes there will be a detailed photo or video tutorial

If not, just remember not to force anything, if it doesn't just fall to bits, you have missed a screw, they hide no matter how many times you think you have looked, sometimes under the keyboard etc

And be careful of thin speaker wires

Good luck, its not hard, just needs patience and a steady hand and good memory ;)

Maybe stick the vacuum cleaner hose on the vents and see if you can suck it out first

Edited by Phenom II, 07 April 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#5 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

You have really 2 options. Ditch the POS laptop (which is what I recommend) or take it a part and clean the dust out.

You don't need to take it all a part, just remove the keyboard. It's pretty easy (I have a compaq that I don't use that's about 3 or so years old that I bought used from someone. Remove the keyboard, take a can of compressed air and blast the dust out.

But really, look at replacing the laptop. The heat will eventually cause the hard drive to burn up, or cause a capacitor or something to blow. HP laptops are of pretty piss poor design and have been notorious for overheating.

Here is a forum post from HP's support site:

http://h30434.www3.h...ting/td-p/90573

Their designs are just pure shit. That's why they're dirt cheap to begin with. I always laugh when people talk about buying laptop coolers and crap to work around the piss poor design that they bought. My Acer laptop that is 6 years old has never overheated, my Macbook Pro has never overheated, my Compaq gets hot just sitting there and the fans are on wide open, my ASUS netbook never overheats nor does my little 11.6" Samsung laptop overheat.

#6 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

You have really 2 options. Ditch the POS laptop (which is what I recommend) or take it a part and clean the dust out.

You don't need to take it all a part, just remove the keyboard. It's pretty easy (I have a compaq that I don't use that's about 3 or so years old that I bought used from someone. Remove the keyboard, take a can of compressed air and blast the dust out.

But really, look at replacing the laptop. The heat will eventually cause the hard drive to burn up, or cause a capacitor or something to blow. HP laptops are of pretty piss poor design and have been notorious for overheating.

Here is a forum post from HP's support site:

http://h30434.www3.h...ting/td-p/90573

Their designs are just pure shit. That's why they're dirt cheap to begin with. I always laugh when people talk about buying laptop coolers and crap to work around the piss poor design that they bought. My Acer laptop that is 6 years old has never overheated, my Macbook Pro has never overheated, my Compaq gets hot just sitting there and the fans are on wide open, my ASUS netbook never overheats nor does my little 11.6" Samsung laptop overheat.

haha, get a clue

My HP laptop is 3 years old, I removed the single core CPU and fitted a dualcore, using the same cooler, and because I took care of it, fitted it correctly and keep it clean, it is as good as the day I bought it minus the battery which can't be helped

No need to throw away anything if it still works, especially not because of an overheating problem that can be fixed for either free or a few £ for thermal paste

Mac fanbois, haha, you're all the same, if it aint a mac its a pile of shit, try reversing that, you fools buy the same hardware for twice the price as us, and you run a locked down version of Unix/Linux they call OSX lol Buy a £200 laptop and put linuxmint on it, tadaaa a Macbook Air !

Edited by Phenom II, 07 April 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#7 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:19 AM

haha, get a clue

After you.

My HP laptop is 3 years old, I removed the single core CPU and fitted a dualcore, using the same cooler, and because I took care of it, fitted it correctly and keep it clean, it is as good as the day I bought it minus the battery which can't be helped

Ok? And I have a compaq that also has a dual core and the sonuva bitch runs hot just sitting there with the fans ablazing. It's a known flaw in HP's designs that their laptops run hot. The Envy? Runs hot. Their consumer PCs? Runs hot.

No need to throw away anything if it still works, especially not because of an overheating problem that can be fixed for either free or a few £ for thermal paste

I personally like using something that works without me having to dick around with it and use work-arounds to some half-assed thermal design. Yeah, he can blow some of the dust out and it will be better, but he'll have the same problem again and again and again and again. You shouldn't have to go around replacing thermal paste in a desperate attempt to make it work. That is NOT how a company should sell their computers to cut costs. It just leaves a bad after taste in the consumer's mouth.

Mac fanbois, haha, you're all the same, if it aint a mac its a pile of shit, try reversing that, you fools buy the same hardware for twice the price as us, and you run a locked down version of Unix/Linux they call OSX lol Buy a £200 laptop and put linuxmint on it, tadaaa a Macbook Air !

Look you infantile pisant. Don't come in here and pretend you know shit about me based on my past purchasing history. If you were literate enough to have read all of my post, you would have recognized that I had bought an Acer laptop, I have a Compaq (that I bought used because it had a busted screen that I had to tear a part and replace, giving me some insight into why the snapped together mess that HP calls a laptop is a shitty design) that's 3 years old, I have a 1 year old ASUS netbook and a 6-8 month old Samsung laptop that is excellent! I have purchased 2 Macs 2 weeks a part because the first one fell victim to some asshole who decided to spill water on it. That was over 4.5 years ago.

If I am, as you say, a "Mac fanbois" (seriously, are you fucking 2 or something, or did you fail grade school at the young age of 16 and you're now a pizza delivery boy?), why have I bought so many PC laptops? Why in the past 6 months have a built myself a custom desktop with my previous desktop running about 6 months old?

With that said, the Macbook Pro is by far the best laptop I have ever owned, and if I had to do again, I would have made the same decision 4.5 years ago. The build, features and experience could not be beat. Were there laptops that were cheaper? Sure. And they are all lacking in either the build quality (such as shitty HPs) or features as well as the experience (at the time, there were no laptops with the low weight, speed and high build quality available from anyone). I certainly paid a price for it, but as I said, it's 4.5 years old (at least) and it is STILL going strong. I only bought the Compaq because it was $80, I was bored and I wanted something to do. Other than that, I don't use the damn thing. The ASUS was bought because I wanted something small I could lay in the bed with and use for Skype. And the Samsung was bought for the same purpose and because I got a hell of a deal on it and it was faster and I like technology!

As to your most stupid comment regarding buying a 200 euro laptop and putting linuxmint on it and you have an instant Macbook Air, you are most certainly full of shit!

For all purposes my Samsung is "closely" spec'd to a Macbook Air and I got it for $350 (50% off of the usual price). It came with a 1.3 Ghz Core i3 ULV, 4 GB of RAM a 320 GB HDD a 11.6" screen (1366x768 screen resolution). Now, speaking of Linux Mint (2 words, not 1), I do actually have it on my Samsung! Lets see, my CPU is slower than a Macbook Air, I have a standard HDD instead of a SSD (or NAND Flash modules) found in the Macbook Air, my screen is not as nice as a Macbook Air (though it is quite good), the battery life is well over half that of a Macbook Air and Linux Mint is sure as shit no Mac OS X (good luck putting Photoshop on Linux Mint; and don't tell me GIMP is just as good, because as a long time user of GIMP, it IS NOT; or putting Steam on it either).

As to Mac OS X being a locked down version of Unix/Linux, let me be 100% clear here! MAC OS X IS NOT LINUX! IT DOES NOT HAVE THE LINUX KERNEL OR ANY PART OF LINUX IN IT!" With that out of the way, Mac OS X is 100% Unix compliant. Meaning that any Unix program can work without a problem on Mac OS X, and as luck would have it, most Linux programs are Unix complaint or can be compiled for Unix with ease. There are projects out there that allow people to easily install Unix programs on Mac OS X and many programs for Unix have been re-compiled to work with Mac OS X (usually packed as a standard .app program which is really nothing more than a container that has the entire program contents inside of it instead of being a separate folder). Linux/Unix in all honesty can't really duplicate Mac OS X's experience or really even run Mac OS X's programs.

Now, please point me to a 200 Euro laptop that is 100% the same (ok 90%) the same as a Macbook Air! Come on, do it!

After going over your past literacy problems, let me make it clear that I was suggesting that he look into replacing his laptop due to some very obvious and likely issues that you seem to have skipped over. Overheating on a computer is a very serious problem, and with laptops, it's not one that is likely to go away with the gentle spray of a can of compressed air or a reapplying the thermal paste. These can help, but the issue is generally routed in lack of space and poor airflow, which cooling pads attempt to remedy. But still, your route cause is still there. If he wants to use it till it goes, that's his choice, and an understandable one as not everyone has money to replace a piece of crap.

TLDR: You're a moron.

#8 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

BTW, where can you get thermal paste, where is it applied, and what exactly is the purpose of it? How can something as simple as applying thermal paste help my laptop?

Also, could there be something wrong with my laptop sensor because sometimes it shows high temperatures even when my laptop doesn't feel that hot. I'm assuming not, but is there something that could be done about the sensor?

Edited by hab, 08 April 2012 - 03:59 AM.

#9 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

Thermal paste can be found at Newegg (Arctic Silver Five is a good paste). It is usually applied to the CPU (in a laptop, you pretty much have to tear it apart). Your CPU has a heat sink. The purpose of the heat sink is to absorb heat from the CPU so that air can pass over it an remove the heat through convection. The heat sink has a much larger surface area than the surface area of your CPU.

The heat sinks are typically fastened tightly against the CPU to minimize any air between the two surfaces (air has a significantly lower conductivity than any metal, and will actually act as an insulator. Because the surfaces aren't 100% smooth and instead of small little pores, air will end up between the two surfaces, unless some type of "filler" is added between them. This is what the thermal compound is for, to act as a filler. Compound is made from zinc and aluminum oxide with small traces of silver in it in Arctic Silver's case. The zinc and aluminum oxide doesn't have a particularly high thermal conductivity (measurement of how conductive something is), but it is MUCH higher than air. The silver which has a higher thermal conductivity of copper helps boost the conductivity.

With that said, with thermal compound you can easily have too much or too little. Remember, it is simply a filler. Anything more than necessary will actually act as an insulator because of it's lower thermal conductivity than the Aluminum and copper (maybe?) in the heat sink. Too little, and you don't have good conduct and air is in there.

The thing is, if it was a thermal paste issue, it would have been present since day one! I have no doubt that using a better thermal paste may help. But it may only drop the temperature 1-4 C, especially since manufacturers typically use the stock thermal pad that comes with the heat sink (it's a pad that does the same function. It is hard when new and the heat melts it like a wax. It's typically a pain in the ass to remove and can actually make it very difficult to separate the CPU from the heatsink, but usually it's not too much of a problem). The thermal pad, even when you "remove it" will leave traces of itself on the heat sink and the CPU, so you will never get the full benefit of the thermal paste you would replace it with.

Unless this thing was shutting down and running hot the day you got it (I seriously doubt it), I don't think this will fix this issue, but rather prolong you getting to the cause of the problem.

I personally think you have a bit of a dust problem. Dust will act as an insulator and cause parts to overheat. Just because the case doesn't feel hot (remember, it's plastic, an insulator in and of itself), doesn't mean nothing is hot. IIRC, often times the heatsinks on CPUs for laptops don't have dedicated fans, so it leaves you open to having dust build up ontop of the heatsink.

With all of that said, if a laptop has a good thermal design, dust isn't really much of an issue, as good airflow will help keep dust from being able to settle.

Another thing is you need to check to see if your fans are working. Just put your hand over a vent where a fan is and see if air is coming out. If it is, then the fan works.

Seriously, this is a big problem with HP laptops. it seems from some research that instead of HP addressing the problem, they have issued BIOS updates that just shut the laptop down when it overheats.

http://h30434.www3.h...ng/td-p/1324231

And here is a video of a guy attempting to "fix" HP's shitty design:

The fans are prone to collecting dust inside of them. The video card's heat sink is barely on it (no, I don't recommend putting copper pieces between the heat sink and the GPU in an attempt to act as a highly conductive shim). Just plain shitty air flow that's made worse over time as dust collects in the fans and everywhere.

But what do I know as a "Mac Fanboi." :whistle:

#10 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

haha, get a clue

After you.

Ok? And I have a compaq that also has a dual core and the sonuva bitch runs hot just sitting there with the fans ablazing. It's a known flaw in HP's designs that their laptops run hot. The Envy? Runs hot. Their consumer PCs? Runs hot.

I personally like using something that works without me having to dick around with it and use work-arounds to some half-assed thermal design. Yeah, he can blow some of the dust out and it will be better, but he'll have the same problem again and again and again and again. You shouldn't have to go around replacing thermal paste in a desperate attempt to make it work. That is NOT how a company should sell their computers to cut costs. It just leaves a bad after taste in the consumer's mouth.

Look you infantile pisant. Don't come in here and pretend you know shit about me based on my past purchasing history. If you were literate enough to have read all of my post, you would have recognized that I had bought an Acer laptop, I have a Compaq (that I bought used because it had a busted screen that I had to tear a part and replace, giving me some insight into why the snapped together mess that HP calls a laptop is a shitty design) that's 3 years old, I have a 1 year old ASUS netbook and a 6-8 month old Samsung laptop that is excellent! I have purchased 2 Macs 2 weeks a part because the first one fell victim to some asshole who decided to spill water on it. That was over 4.5 years ago.

If I am, as you say, a "Mac fanbois" (seriously, are you fucking 2 or something, or did you fail grade school at the young age of 16 and you're now a pizza delivery boy?), why have I bought so many PC laptops? Why in the past 6 months have a built myself a custom desktop with my previous desktop running about 6 months old?

With that said, the Macbook Pro is by far the best laptop I have ever owned, and if I had to do again, I would have made the same decision 4.5 years ago. The build, features and experience could not be beat. Were there laptops that were cheaper? Sure. And they are all lacking in either the build quality (such as shitty HPs) or features as well as the experience (at the time, there were no laptops with the low weight, speed and high build quality available from anyone). I certainly paid a price for it, but as I said, it's 4.5 years old (at least) and it is STILL going strong. I only bought the Compaq because it was $80, I was bored and I wanted something to do. Other than that, I don't use the damn thing. The ASUS was bought because I wanted something small I could lay in the bed with and use for Skype. And the Samsung was bought for the same purpose and because I got a hell of a deal on it and it was faster and I like technology!

As to your most stupid comment regarding buying a 200 euro laptop and putting linuxmint on it and you have an instant Macbook Air, you are most certainly full of shit!

For all purposes my Samsung is "closely" spec'd to a Macbook Air and I got it for $350 (50% off of the usual price). It came with a 1.3 Ghz Core i3 ULV, 4 GB of RAM a 320 GB HDD a 11.6" screen (1366x768 screen resolution). Now, speaking of Linux Mint (2 words, not 1), I do actually have it on my Samsung! Lets see, my CPU is slower than a Macbook Air, I have a standard HDD instead of a SSD (or NAND Flash modules) found in the Macbook Air, my screen is not as nice as a Macbook Air (though it is quite good), the battery life is well over half that of a Macbook Air and Linux Mint is sure as shit no Mac OS X (good luck putting Photoshop on Linux Mint; and don't tell me GIMP is just as good, because as a long time user of GIMP, it IS NOT; or putting Steam on it either).

As to Mac OS X being a locked down version of Unix/Linux, let me be 100% clear here! MAC OS X IS NOT LINUX! IT DOES NOT HAVE THE LINUX KERNEL OR ANY PART OF LINUX IN IT!" With that out of the way, Mac OS X is 100% Unix compliant. Meaning that any Unix program can work without a problem on Mac OS X, and as luck would have it, most Linux programs are Unix complaint or can be compiled for Unix with ease. There are projects out there that allow people to easily install Unix programs on Mac OS X and many programs for Unix have been re-compiled to work with Mac OS X (usually packed as a standard .app program which is really nothing more than a container that has the entire program contents inside of it instead of being a separate folder). Linux/Unix in all honesty can't really duplicate Mac OS X's experience or really even run Mac OS X's programs.

Now, please point me to a 200 Euro laptop that is 100% the same (ok 90%) the same as a Macbook Air! Come on, do it!

After going over your past literacy problems, let me make it clear that I was suggesting that he look into replacing his laptop due to some very obvious and likely issues that you seem to have skipped over. Overheating on a computer is a very serious problem, and with laptops, it's not one that is likely to go away with the gentle spray of a can of compressed air or a reapplying the thermal paste. These can help, but the issue is generally routed in lack of space and poor airflow, which cooling pads attempt to remedy. But still, your route cause is still there. If he wants to use it till it goes, that's his choice, and an understandable one as not everyone has money to replace a piece of crap.

TLDR: You're a moron.

Shh.. Zip it.

Wasted words but glad I seem to have been a type of therapist to your obvious mental issues.

#11 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

My Acer laptop that is 6 years old has never overheated

My mum's Acer overheats all the time.

Buy a £200 laptop and put linuxmint on it, tadaaa a Macbook Air !

Ofcourse then you're not going to get the Macbook Air hardware, which is the only good thing about Mac's. But I +1'd your post just for suggesting Mint. :lol:

did you fail grade school at the young age of 16 and you're now a pizza delivery boy?

Since in this thread he's been talking in £'s and not $'s I'd say he's British, us Brits finish school at 16, without needing to drop out and deliver pizzas.

#12 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

wouldn't using the laptop when it's closed will cause it to over heat more?

anyway, it's true that HP laptops have pretty poor thermal design. The only laptops that overheat and turn off are Acer and HP from my experience, and even Acer has been stepping up their game and their laptops are pretty good now. I'm surprised that the dv6 actually overheats. Thank god I got a Dell instead.

Also, could there be something wrong with my laptop sensor because sometimes it shows high temperatures even when my laptop doesn't feel that hot. I'm assuming not, but is there something that could be done about the sensor?

That doesn't sound like a sensor issue. I think your issue is with the fan's speeds - they simply aren't powering up when needed, or, the fans are simply not working. Of course, if this is the case, only HP can fix it, not you.

Use your laptop in a dead silent room and try to hear if the fans power up when the CPU usage remains consistently high.

#13 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

Shh.. Zip it.

Wasted words but glad I seem to have been a type of therapist to your obvious mental issues.

Funny you haven't a response in regards to anything after you make a huge assumption based on someone's buying history in a horrible attempt to discredit them instead of posting facts. :rolleyes: It's true that some children like yourself need to be talked down to and you have to go down to their level to reason with them. I hope you learned your lesson and learned a thing or two.

My mum's Acer overheats all the time.

Heh. I don't doubt it for some of the newer Acers. My Acer is 6 years old and is friggin massive (this was just before laptop manufacturers started following in Apple's steps and started making thinner laptops). I hate the thing, and it could definitely get warm when trying to play a game, but it never shut down.

Since in this thread he's been talking in £'s and not $'s I'd say he's British, us Brits finish school at 16, without needing to drop out and deliver pizzas.

You may finish school at age 16, but you finish grade school at a much younger age:

In the UK, schools providing primary education are now known as primary schools. They generally cater for children aged from four to eleven (Reception to Year Six or in Northern Ireland and Scotland P1 to P7). Primary schools are often subdivided into infant schools for children from four to seven and junior schools for ages seven to 11. In the (diminishing) minority of areas where there is a "three-tier" system, children go to lower school or "first school" until about 9, then middle school until about 13, then upper school; in these places, the term "primary school" is not usually used.

Edited by The Flashing Fish, 08 April 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#14 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Shh.. Zip it.

Funny you haven't a response in regards to anything after you make a huge assumption based on someone's buying history in a horrible attempt to discredit them instead of posting facts. :rolleyes: It's true that some children like yourself need to be talked down to and you have to go down to their level to reason with them. I hope you learned your lesson and learned a thing or two.

No I just couldn't be fucked on to read all your shite if you want the honest answer, I have no interest in your views / opinions / corrupted view on life or whatever else you were waffling on about in that GCSE essay

Hey Fool;

Quote:
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something

Edited by Phenom II, 08 April 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#15 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Yea try into my 30's - I wish I was just out of school again

Those fools with a lot to say, don't even bother to check a profile for a DOB

Edited by Phenom II, 08 April 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#16 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

No I just couldn't be fucked on to read all your shite if you want the honest answer, I have no interest in your views / opinions / corrupted view on life or whatever else you were waffling on about in that GCSE essay

Hey Fool;

Quote:
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something

Oh the irony of you saying that.

I guess these were all little trinkets of wisdom:

Mac fanbois

Shh.. Zip it.

A lot of words, and a whole lot of nothing said. But continue to backpedal after your little childish comment.

Yea try into my 30's - I wish I was just out of school again

Those fools with a lot to say, don't even bother to check a profile for a DOB

What does your DOB have anything to do with you graduating grade school at the age of 16 to only get a job as a pizza delivery boy (I guess in your case, pseudo-man)? With all that you have to say son, you could save some time and read what has been said or simply shut the fuck up.

But anyway, I guess you haven't anything relevant to say nor would you like to defend your comment in regards to me being a "Mac Fanbois" (seriously, in your 30s? :no: ). I guess I'll just leave this thread knowing that I have actually provided him with good, sound advice that is all around better than the advice provided by a self-proclaimed expert.

#17 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

I'm pretty sure the fan works because as soon as I run something CPU intensive like a game, I can easily hear the fan work, but like some of you said, maybe the fan isn't working as it should be because of the dust.

Also, when I first had my laptop (like soon after I bought it), I could really feel the left part of my laptop heat up, so I know how hot it can get before it shut down of over heating.

And a HP Pavilion dv6 is actually aluminum, which conducts heat very well.

They look like this:
Posted Image

It kinda sucks that the vent is right beside the VGA port because part of the VGA port blocks one of the vent hole things.

#18 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

The top is aluminum. But I believe the bottom is plastic.

Like I said, this is a pretty common problem with this laptop:

https://www.google.c...67&pf=p&pdl=300

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!