Request "advice" on overall posting standards

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 deema

deema

Splavage

• 256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

EDIT, NO NEED TO READ, I AM OVER IT. VILLAIN AND PREATH WERE ALL THAT WAS NEEDED. i'M TAKING A STEP BACK FROM ANYTHING OTHER THAN SPLOSTS, ANYWAY. I HAVE SOME REALLY GOOD SHIV COMIN (I THOUGHT THAT ALL OF THE EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS I GOT WERE DIRECTED, SPECIFICALLY TOWARD ME HAHAAHAHAAHH. I'M A DUMBA)

WOULDNT MIND DELETING THREAD, BUT LEAVE THAT UP TO ADMINS.

So, "quickly", apologies to the community for my many overly detailed posts. I will only say that I, sometimes, have an issue due to "metallosis"(metal poisoning) that causes lapses in my explanation and conveying of things. Should be getting "fixed" soon.That said, for my OWN ease, I request some advice on some posting best practices(as i get tired of comments about my posts structure)

1 Length - What is "standard"? (I am of belief that unless you understand something fully, an accurate conclusion can not be made. A "few" lines about something accurately giving enough info is something that isnt always possible. Also, this f'n post window is twice the size of the thread window, so I often am unable to accurately measure what it will look like.

2-Content-I rarely, if ever, talk about "random" shiv. I only have one goal in life and that is to dramatically improve end user experience and expedite its evolution. So, in some threads I see, I realize that the topic is somehow related to (usually UDE stifling from bigger companies) this broader goal of mine. And I attempt to point out where it hurts the end user. I sometimes get "flamed{(?) about my post not being in right place or whatever (not true if i clearly see an end user impedance) So, what is GP in this regard?

3-Humor- As I am not, ever, a less than 100% "serious' person normally, I don't do 'humor', in general. But sometimes I see something and have a funny (i think) reply and so post it, even though it is not specifically targeting the topic of the thread, just a post in it. Is this GP?

4- Splinter- I realize that at times, in my comparisons and complaints about MS and such, that I point out that "this is why I implemented x". And I realize, now, that may seem like "advertising" or some shiv. So I am going to reword things and not call it Splinter from now on, but randomly create some Spl - word in its place. I also removed the "splinter" logo from my signature, as it may appear as spam when i have multiple posts in a thread.

I have NEVER belonged to a forum as I always thought that "you' guys were strange for spending time on one. My belief changed only after spending time on here. So, I want to , IN GENERAL, follow some standards so that I can "fit in" better(only cause I dont want to disrespect the community, not cause I care about socializing. Rather have a relationship with Splndy than Cindy)

Any other advice welcomed. And no matter how my posts "sound", never trying to INSULT anyone, or sound "full" of myself, only trying to help the larger end user group and so speak in a way that "showing" that I know wtf I am talking about, regarding UDE. Unless someone insults me first, then I (foolishly, maybe) take it personal and hit em back in a condescending manner.

And my question is regarding OTHER people's threads , not mine. Splindy is nothing if not understood, so miss me with any comments about Spli posts being too long, please. I spent 14THOUSAND hours on its design and concept and so I care not about "tldr" in that thread, cause "you" have no idea what "long" is, regarding "it". I still have ten years of implementatiion in a list that has over 100 future functionalities, so "long" to you is what is necessary when conveying all that it is, as it requires a completely new understanding of the "desktop environment and what its possibilities are. And I will get supremely aggro if I get hyped that I got a reply again to that thread and find some bull shiv about post format, structure, length, etc. Just sayin that the thread is important to me and it isnt cool to talk about something other than its topic

And, YES, I realize that THIS post is longer than standard, thank you.

Thanks

Edited by deema, 27 March 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#2 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hi deema. Welcome to The Life of a Forum Poster.

I myself tend to do over large, and long posts. More then once have I recieved a message about how some people (on WM and off) have had there "eyes glaze over a the sheer amount of words in a single post" ... and somthing about "if they wanted to read a book, they would read a book, not get on the internet and find (my) posts".

As far as the "correct" format... hate to break it to you, but it does not exist. What you post is a reflection of who you are. I am a bit obsessive, i love details, the more information the better, helps me make informed decisions.

Som epeople can get by with a three sentience discription of whatever the topic is about, or such, and thats fine. I am not one of those peoples. Some things that people do infuriate me to no end. Especially the currently trending "+1 ^" or "+1 this" posts. "+1" to me is a math term. why not say "i like this post" or "good post" or "i agree". The whole "+1" is stupid and wrongly used, unless if some one has a basic mathematics error. Also, i bet that without using a search engine at all, a moajority of the "+1 ^" have no idea that ^ is also a math symbol, nor do they know of it's function.

Anyway (my mind, it does wander) every one has a style to themeselves. dont worry about it.

#3 orcus

orcus

Active WinMatrixian

• 714 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

can you compress that and give it to me Barney style?

#4 deema

deema

Splavage

• 256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

I myself tend to do over large, and long posts. More then once have I recieved a message about how some people (on WM and off) have had there "eyes glaze over a the sheer amount of words in a single post" ... and somthing about "if they wanted to read a book, they would read a book, not get on the internet and find (my) posts".

As far as the "correct" format... hate to break it to you, but it does not exist. What you post is a reflection of who you are. I am a bit obsessive, i love details, the more information the better, helps me make informed decisions.

Som epeople can get by with a three sentience discription of whatever the topic is about, or such, and thats fine. I am not one of those peoples. Some things that people do infuriate me to no end. Especially the currently trending "+1 ^" or "+1 this" posts. "+1" to me is a math term. why not say "i like this post" or "good post" or "i agree". The whole "+1" is stupid and wrongly used, unless if some one has a basic mathematics error. Also, i bet that without using a search engine at all, a moajority of the "+1 ^" have no idea that ^ is also a math symbol, nor do they know of it's function.

Anyway (my mind, it does wander) every one has a style to themeselves. dont worry about it.

LOL, super funny. Your experience sounds like what I am getting. Thanks, appreciate the advice and agree that it is all about the details.

#5 deema

deema

Splavage

• 256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

can you compress that and give it to me Barney style?

no

#6 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

LOL, super funny. Your experience sounds like what I am getting. Thanks, appreciate the advice and agree that it is all about the details.

Yes, i agree with all this too, but i feel that i am kind of too lazy to type a whole book on every thread i wish to reply on. And second, sometimes i cant get any good words to explain and type stuff - that i would have wanted to.

#7 deema

deema

Splavage

• 256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Yes, i agree with all this too, but i feel that i am kind of too lazy to type a whole book on every thread i wish to reply on. And second, sometimes i cant get any good words to explain and type stuff - that i would have wanted to.

lol. thx

#8 tinkerer_svk

tinkerer_svk

is my zipper open? oh, shit...

• 90 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

get a room already you two.

example of an average post.

#9 deema

deema

Splavage

• 256 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

get a room already you two.

example of an average post.

lol...that's 3 for 3

#10 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

Oh, lovely.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!