11 replies to this topic

#1 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

Posted Image
When Microsoft announced about the Ribbon UI for Windows 8 Explorer several months ago, some Windows users felt that the Ribbon UI would make the explorer look bloated, and voted against it. That's why the ribbon interface in Windows Explorer is minimized by default. There's even a tool available on WinMatrix which removes Ribbon UI from Windows 8 explorer.

Now a recent tweet from Microsoft confirms that people are actually liking the new UI. 22% of those who installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview keep the ribbon expanded. Considering the fact that it came minimized by default, this shows interest from users.

Posted Image
Windows 8 CP usage stat -- in 22.5% the Explorer ribbon is expanded (closed was the default) and kept that way.

#2 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

Ok well half the ppl are noobs who don't even explore windows 8 properly and didn't even know the option to expand the ribbon was there so lets say 45% of ppl actually chose to keep the ribbon, and 55% didn't like it/small screen resolution.

Personally, I hate Windows 8, but this new ribbon is actually helpful.

Also, this stat doesn't take into account ppl who use the ribbon on only certain occasions. An example is I remember that you could unhide hidden folders which I sometimes do when going to the hidden app data folder. So instead of going to folder options and going through all the menus, I can just show the ribbon, and then check show hidden folders (and uncheck it after I'm done). Same thing for copying the folder path or w/e else the ribbon offers.

Edited by hab, 26 March 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#3 netbox

netbox

Customizer

• 379 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

I like the Ribbon in Explorer in Windows 8 but I keep it minimize :D use it only when really needed..
actually most of the right-click and keyboard shortcuts can be done w/o using the ribbon..

I like the ribbon minimize coz explorer looks clean, tidy and minimal, and focus on files, where suppose to be FILE manager :D

#4 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Posted Image
Windows 8 CP usage stat -- in 22.5% the Explorer ribbon is expanded (closed was the default) and kept that way.
[/quote]

And THIS is my problem with 8 and Metro. WHY does MS KNOW that? Public survey? Not a chance. Prompt for "helping to improve"? Dont think so. F this new era of being followed and patterned. It doesnt benefit the end user

#5 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,392 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

Windows 8 is in beta stage. They can collect user data.

#6 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

So, then they are NOT when it is retail? THAT is the only way the argument would stand up. Still, SHOULD allow people to see WHAT info is being "collected", in a log or SOMETHING.

Edited by deema, 26 March 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#7 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

I love the ribbon in explorer. It is extremely useful. And the best part? You can tuck it away when you don't need/want it.

It's a win-win. Honestly I think Microsoft has nailed the desktop in Windows 7 and the same goes for Windows 8's desktop (putting aside metro here for a while, PLEASE do not bring it up kthx).

#8 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

oops, delete me

Edited by deema, 04 April 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#9 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

Well, yes, good point. BUT nothing will change once retail hits. Except that they will be more efficient at "collecting data" (that is as pc as it gets.

The rest of this post is just you arguing with your own hypothetical points :/

#10 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

yep

Edited by deema, 04 April 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#11 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

So, then they are NOT when it is retail? THAT is the only way the argument would stand up. Still, SHOULD allow people to see WHAT info is being "collected", in a log or SOMETHING.

The whole point of a public beta is to collect user data to see if the new improvements/changes MS made are actually good, aka the new ribbon in explorer. People at MS are like, Will people use the ribbon? Should we leave it hidden by default? Now with this stat, they know they should keep it hidden by default.

#12 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

oops

Edited by deema, 04 April 2012 - 09:32 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!