• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,438 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Posted Image

Most all-in-one desktop computers are bulky. Meet Lenovo ThinkCentre M92z all-in-one PC which looks like a simple monitor than an entire machine. This Windows 8-ready touchscreens computer will come in two 20-inch and 23-inch versions, have Intel Ivy Bridge processors and arrive in July, according to Verge.

#2 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

THIS IS REVOLUTIONARY! :rolleyes:

The iMac does a better job of it.

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

THIS IS REVOLUTIONARY! :rolleyes:

The iMac does a better job of it.

but the iMac isn't a PC....and no, bootcamp doesn't count. And this actually supports touch.

Edited by FalseAgent, 18 March 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#4 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Macs are PCs. They have the same exact hardware as a Windows computer. They are, in every sense of the word, a PC. That is why they can run Windows natively. So to say they're not PCs is just stupid.

And touch on these all in ones is a useless gimmick. Ever used an HP Touchsmart PC? Horrendous. It's uncomfortable and impractical. You have to sit like 5 inches away from your monitor for it not tire your arm out, and even then, it's uncomfortable.

Macs do it better with the touchpads and gesture enabled OS.

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Um, no, Macs don't use the exact same hardware as a Windows computer. That's the biggest lie ever.

To begin with, Macs do not use Windows keyboards. And Macs do not use BIOS to boot, unlike typical PC's. Bootcamp on macs use a BIOS emulation layer to boot into Windows. Macs are capable of running Windows natively, but only thanks to a non-native boot up. That ruins the startup experience, and it is very much a gimmicky workaround on Apple's part, especially when Windows has support for booting with EFI since Vista.

When I say 'PC', i'm talking about the stuff Windows computers have. Like, y'know, separate mouse buttons for left and right click. Using a a mouse designed for gestures on OSX, such as Apple's magic mouse, on Windows, is a no-go. Just because it works with Windows doesn't make it a PC (where PC = a shipping computer with Windows, complete with the usual two-button mouse and windows keyboard).

I agree about touch for now, but I have never used a desktop touch PC, and i'm sure neither have you. HP Touchsmart PC's are not representative of Windows 8 hardware; they only support 2 touch points, which is below the requirement for a Windows 8 certified device. Even if you have really tried Windows 8 on a touchsmart PC (which, again, I doubt), the experience would have been extremely sub-par. I'll also add that HP's Touchsmart PCs have terrible responsiveness, a problem that is beyond Windows and Microsoft's hand.

To be fair, just like how people with iMacs think that touch on desktops are a gimmick, there are also plenty of people that think that gestures on OSX with apple's proprietary mouse are a gimmick as well.

Everyone out there these days are prematurely judging everything in favor of comparing them to Apple's expensive stuff (while two-thirds of the world continues to work to only make ends meet). Ultrabooks to Macbook airs, and all-in-ones to iMacs. Enough of it. Macs are not PCs.

Edited by FalseAgent, 18 March 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#6 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

Um, no, Macs don't use the exact same hardware as a Windows computer. That's the biggest lie ever.

To begin with, Macs do not use Windows keyboards. And Macs do not use BIOS to boot, unlike typical PC's. Bootcamp on macs use a BIOS emulation layer to boot into Windows. Macs are capable of running Windows natively, but only thanks to a non-native boot up. That ruins the startup experience, and it is very much a gimmicky workaround on Apple's part, especially when Windows has support for booting with EFI since Vista.

When I say 'PC', i'm talking about the stuff Windows computers have. Like, y'know, separate mouse buttons for left and right click. Using a a mouse designed for gestures on OSX, such as Apple's magic mouse, on Windows, is a no-go. Just because it works with Windows doesn't make it a PC (where PC = a shipping computer with Windows, complete with the usual two-button mouse and windows keyboard).

I agree about touch for now, but I have never used a desktop touch PC, and i'm sure neither have you. HP Touchsmart PC's are not representative of Windows 8 hardware; they only support 2 touch points, which is below the requirement for a Windows 8 certified device. Even if you have really tried Windows 8 on a touchsmart PC (which, again, I doubt), the experience would have been extremely sub-par. I'll also add that HP's Touchsmart PCs have terrible responsiveness, a problem that is beyond Windows and Microsoft's hand.

To be fair, just like how people with iMacs think that touch on desktops are a gimmick, there are also plenty of people that think that gestures on OSX with apple's proprietary mouse are a gimmick as well.

Everyone out there these days are prematurely judging everything in favor of comparing them to Apple's expensive stuff (while two-thirds of the world continues to work to only make ends meet). Ultrabooks to Macbook airs, and all-in-ones to iMacs. Enough of it. Macs are not PCs.

First of all, there is no "Windows keyboard." You need to just drop that notion right now. You also need to recognize that a BIOS is not what makes a PC a PC. Do you even know what PC means?

http://en.wikipedia....rsonal_computer

Go look at that for starters, because you are obviously defining "PC" by the Microsoft marketing definition of a computer running Windows, which is not the definition of a PC at all.

Second of all, yes they DO use the same exact hardware. They have x86 processors, the same type of RAM, expansion slots, connectors. EVERYTHING! Also, a BIOS is not a part of the hardware. It is firmware that is loaded from a ROM, which is quickly being replaced with UEFI which is also loaded from a ROM that is found on both Windows and Macs.

As to the BIOS, all new computers are coming with UEFI, which is what Macs have used for the last 5 years. The fact that Apple emulates a BIOS for the booting of Windows means nothing (and actually, I think it's only emulating it for 32-bit versions of Windows, 64-bit Windows isn't using emulation on Macs. I know this as on some Macs, you have to modify the installation media to work with the Macs EFI as the EFI found on those Macs is of an older version not supported by the installation media. This is only applicable on older macs from 2006 to late 2007). Once when the copy of Windows is booted, it is running 100% natively.

As for the "stuff Windows computers have." That has no bearing on whether a computer is a PC or not. Physical mouse buttons does not make a PC. You can use normal mice with Mac OS X just fine, as well as normal keyboards. You also realize that there are many different types of mice for the PC, from trackballs, to trackpads to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ect button mice, to mice specifically used for certain applications (such as AutoCAD). I even know of people who prefer using normal mice with Macs, because they are a bit simpler (and I'm one of them).

As for the touchsmart. I'm not talking about how many touch points it has. Did you even read what I wrote? I said it was awkward to physically use. You know, in that having a vertical screen was uncomfortable to use. And I don't know about you, but my monitor sits over an arms length away. Do you think it would be comfortable having to hold you hand up to use the computer?

In terms of gestures on Mac OS X being a gimmick, that would be your opinion. But I personally find them useful. Not to say that touch in Windows 8 is useless, but on a monitor that is standing vertically distanced a 2 or so feet away, I personally don't find it at all practical, and that they're simply adding touch because that's what's trending.

Ultrabooks to Macbook airs, and all-in-ones to iMacs. Enough of it. Macs are not PCs.

People compare ultrabooks and all-in-ones to iMacs and macbook airs because they are DIRECT COMPETITORS! Macs are PCs, and you stamping your feet and saying that just because they run a different OS, come with a slightly different keyboard and a little bit different mouse does not mean they are not PCs. You citing slight peripheral differences and that they boot into Windows OSes slightly different from other PCs doesn't prove that they aren't PCs. It just makes you look like a mindless fanboy who has been swept up into Microsoft's and Apple's marketing (MS trying so hard to be associated with the PC moniker and Apple trying so hard to distance itself from the PC moniker). But what it all boils down to is that the hardware Mac OS X, Linux and Windows is running on is all the same. The peripherals is all a bunch of irrelevant bullcrap that has no bearing on whether the actual computer is a PC or not.

Edited by The Flashing Fish, 19 March 2012 - 12:27 AM.

#7 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Enough of it. Macs are not PCs.

-snip-

Calm down, take a deep breath and accept reality.

PC means Personal Computer, you see what I did there? ;)

For further explanation I refer to the post above.

OT: having used the hp touch smart I must say I like all in ones for casual computing and the touch screen is a nice extra/gimmick, which will not be used much in the long term.

Edited by Borix, 19 March 2012 - 11:22 AM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!