• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

This market share reports for security industry includes both worldwide and North American market share for antivirus softwares. The
data used was collected between March 23, 2011 and February 15, 2012, by Opswat and comparisons are made to data from March 23, 2010 through February 15, 2011.

Worldwide Antivirus Vendor Market Share

Avast! Software has had a strong lead in the worldwide antivirus market for the past few years, with 16.26% in the last year and 17.27% the previous year. Avira, AVG, Microsoft, and ESET follow in this year's rankings, each with over 10% of the market. Microsoft has made the
biggest gains in the past year, increasing its share from 7.27% a year ago to 10.08% today. Symantec holds the fifth position with 9.97% of the worldwide market. While some shifting has occurred between 2011 and 2012, the vendors that appear in the top 10 remain the same, with the exception of Trend Micro, who rose to push PC Tools from the 10th position.

Posted Image

North America Antivirus Vendor Market Share

Symantec continues to lead the North American antivirus market at the beginning of 2012 with 16.09%, a slight decrease from their 16.65% in 2011. Microsoft leaped from fourth to second place in this year’s ranking with an increase from 9.94 to 14.92% over the last year. This increase by Microsoft pushed AVG into third place despite an increase in market share for AVG as well. Avast! dropped from 12.59% to 11.96% and lowered its rank from third to fourth. Trend Micro knocked PC Tools off the top ten, while Avira and Kaspersky made gains from last year.

Posted Image

Source: Opswat Report (PDF)

#2 Maximum Payne

Maximum Payne

Active WinMatrixian

• 351 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

After trying cracked version of Kaspersky and Nod I was:''I don't want to be hassle with this anymore''
Since then I am using Avast and I never regret.

#3 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

After trying cracked version of Kaspersky and Nod I was:''I don't want to be hassle with this anymore''

The only thing I hate about the subscription model is that they never give you the latest version of the software. So not only are you paying for definitions your shelling out the amount it cost for the updated suite.

This is especially frustrating when only a handful of paid suites are actually superior to the free versions.

Edited by InlineSkate, 18 March 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#4 M.Sudoku

M.Sudoku

Super Duper WinMatrixian

• 2,191 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

Wow, didn't know that Avast is that much popular worldwide.

#5 pataoengineer

pataoengineer

@pataoengineer

• 1,155 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

Microsoft clearly shows its potential in anti-virus marketing.

I'm sure its product is not that decent but seems better than other major brands due to the price and support.

#6 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

How Avira managed to get to the second position? The software is buggy and displays false positives all the time.

#7 Ammarx

Ammarx

GeneralfeldmarschallROMMEL

• 934 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

The only thing I hate about the subscription model is that they never give you the latest version of the software. So not only are you paying for definitions your shelling out the amount it cost for the updated suite.

This is especially frustrating when only a handful of paid suites are actually superior to the free versions.

Yeah you are right, though i have been kaspersky user for last 3+ years and never experienced any of this nonsense..

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!