Using USB 3.0 as an alternate to SSD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RUY

RUY

Active WinMatrixian

• 682 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

Is USB 3.0 is faster than SSD or equal to it? or atleast faster than standard hard disk? I wanted to USB 3.0 as SSD alternate. THanks

#2 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Is USB 3.0 is faster than SSD or equal to it? or atleast faster than standard hard disk? I wanted to USB 3.0 as SSD alternate. THanks

Using regulard mechanical hard drives with USB 3, you really need to get a fast HD at like 10,000 RPM to achieve a fast experience with USB 3 to get something near SSD. But SSD is fast already at the beginning and mechanical HDs isnt as fast.

So we can say:

USB 2 + HD = slow
USB 3 + HD = faster
USB 3/eSATA + SSD = fastest

Edited by Preath, 02 March 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#3 RUY

RUY

Active WinMatrixian

• 682 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Using regulard mechanical hard drives with USB 3, you really need to get a fast HD at like 10,000 RPM to achieve a fast experience with USB 3 to get something near SSD. But SSD is fast already at the beginning and mechanical HDs isnt as fast.

So we can say:

USB 2 + HD = slow
USB 3 + HD = faster
USB 3/eSATA + SSD = fastest

I am planing to install software to USB 3.0 so that they load fast directly into ram is this a good idea? Thanks for your reply.

#4 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,438 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

USB 3.0 is just an interface with high speed transfer rate, used for external HDD. Why you are comparing it with SSD?

Edit:

I am planing to install software to USB 3.0 so that they load fast directly into ram is this a good idea?

Oh, so you mean an external HDD with USB 3.0 interface? Yes, it'll be faster than USB 2.0 and as good as internal HDD, but slower than an SSD.

Edited by SurB86, 02 March 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#5 RUY

RUY

Active WinMatrixian

• 682 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

USB 3.0 is just an interface with high speed transfer rate, used for external HDD. Why you are comparing it with SSD?

Edit:

I am planing to install software to USB 3.0 so that they load fast directly into ram is this a good idea?

Oh, so you mean an external HDD with USB 3.0 interface? Yes, it'll be faster than USB 2.0 and as good as internal HDD, but slower than an SSD.

I want it faster than standard hdd not ssd

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!