• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,057 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

POPULAR

Before I start, yes I know there's a few of you that have denounced the "Metro" operating environment, but I just wanted to discuss my first initial reactions after having spent the whole day with it, and wanna see what the rest of you though after you installed it. I wanna say, that this is not a thread to post "I HATE METRO!", Yes, I know you do, but I wanted to post my thoughts of it, after having used it, and it is my hopes that you will actually read through what I have to say before posting.

I hope to have some screenshots up later tonight after I get done with classes. So, without further ado...

The learning curve was smaller than I anticipated, and for those NOT wanting to use Metro apps, the learning curve is actually smaller than the curve we got from moving from XP to Vista! Yes, I'm serious, the curve is almost non existent for "classic" desktop users.

First, let's start with the obvious: Metro. I honestly think there's a lot of people confused as to what it is, and what it's meant to do. Having installed the CP on my laptop (Bare metal install), I wanted to give the CP a thorough test on a keyboard/mouse system, and so far, I'm loving it. Interacting with the "larger" tiles is no more different, than increasing the size of your desktop icons in Windows 7 to "large". The mouse wheel works great to slide the screen side-to-side, and I LOVE that I can pin 'tiles' to groups. I feel like I have a neat and organized start menu.

Now, onto the subject that is throwing people off. Metro apps. A lot of users seem put off using full-screen touch centric apps. After having played with them on a laptop, I can say they are not for everyone, but if there is one to use, it's the Bing Weather app. But, if you DO NOT want to use the metro apps, the can be un-installed completely, and you never have to see them again! What you're left with then is a Start Screen reminiscent of the Office 2010 "Backstage" Menu. Metro is gone. The Start Screen becomes a full-screen Start Menu full of your "classic" desktop apps, complete with "classic" start menu functionality (type to search, etc...).
So far, all my "classic" desktop apps have worked without a sweat, the only exceptions being the Windows Live Suite, and Wireshark, which I had to run in compatibility mode to get the WinPCap driver to install. Windows Live runs, but a lot of things are missing compared to Windows 7.
The metro apps included with this release are largely incomplete and lack a lot of basic functionality, so it's hard to write about many of them, but I do have to say the Bing Weather app is beautiful and the most feature complete out of them all. It's not a "desktop app", but it works well with the keyboard and mouse, and does a wonderful job at presenting the information you want.

Next up, "OMGZ NO START BUTTON! WTFBBQ!". Let me get this out of the way: DON'T PANIC! The 4 corners of the screen now act as "hotspots" for different functions.
  • The upper left corner will display your open Metro apps. Don't use them? Then this won't work for you.
  • The bottom left corner still acts like the good ol Start Button. Move your mouse down here to access the Start Screen, or right-click for a nice little menu full of shortcut goodies.
  • The upper and lower corners on the right side of the screen trigger the charms bar. Here you will find the options to Search, Share, Activate the Start Screen, Open the devices options, Networking, Power options, and PC Settings.

Desktop. So with the Metro UI, what about the desktop? There is much to say here except, that if you know your way around the Windows 7 desktop, you know your way around the Windows 8 desktop. Almost nothing has changed. The ribbon is nice to use, and is minimized by default. If you have used it at one point or another, there is no learning curve here. Keyboard shortcuts are still the same, along with the tray icons. Despite some wierd looking "metro" icons seen in leaked pictures, ALL the desktop icons are the same as they are in Windows 7. Desktop users rejoice, for your options are all still here!

#2 tinkerer_svk

tinkerer_svk

is my zipper open? oh, shit...

• 90 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

Skipping Windows 8. Nothing new except the UI and the Application store...

#3 Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP

• 529 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Although Microsoft has removed Start button and start menu from Windows 8 Consumer Preview, you can get them back using ViStart freeware. It works perfectly in Windows 8 as well. I have written a detailed guide about it. Interested people can follow it: :)

How to Enable Good Old Start Button (ORB) and Start Menu in Windows 8?

Personally I dont have much problem with the removal of start button and start menu but sometimes I feel their requirements when I want to restart the system or access installed programs. I need to click on Taskbar and press ALT+F4 keys to show shutdown dialog box. Or go to Start Screen to access it.

#4 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,057 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

There's under the hood changes as well. Integrated MSE protection and system-wide SmartScreen filter. ;)

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

Posted Image

Personally I dont have much problem with the removal of start button and start menu but sometimes I feel their requirements when I want to restart the system or access installed programs. I need to click on Taskbar and press ALT+F4 keys to show shutdown dialog box. Or go to Start Screen to access it.

You can shut down Windows 8 from anywhere via the Settings charm, no?

Anyway, I think it's obvious by now that I think Windows 8 is great.

Windows has always been in a position where it could only envy all those cool apps on iOS and Android, but now, finally, that is going to change, thanks to Metro and the Start Screen. PC app development has been at quite a standstill ever since app development moved to simpler and less complex apps found on our mobile OSes such as iOS and Android. In recent years, it has become clear that users find alot of value in the simplicity of their smartphones/ tablets.

In fact, PC apps, up till Windows 7, are bulky software suites that, IMO, have become overly complex. PC apps have become stale over the years. The only real PC apps remaining today are the ones that we can't afford to avoid, such as our browsers, MS Office, Adobe's CS suite, Antivirus suites, and so on. In fact, these bulky software suites are one of the main reasons on why the desktop couldn't be killed from Windows 8.

With the complexities found in PCs, even the much-praised Windows 7 has failed to nail some of the fundamentals that one would expect from a computer. Think about it for a minute here: Windows 7 doesn't even ship with a Calender or an E-mail client out of the box. You'd need to install Windows Live Essentials (yet another bulky software suite) to get those things, or you'd need to find some other 3rd party calender app/ e-mail client (with no App Store to discover and easily buy any of these apps). It doesn't end there - the most hilarious part is this: after booting up and typing your password to log in to Windows, most users simply only need to open up their browser and guess what? Log in (again) to their web services that they care about.

Windows 8 is going to change all that. It challenges all of the assumptions of what we describe today as a 'PC'. People call it a "child's coloring book". I call it going back to basics. It's about time our computers took a simpler form. Personally, as much as I am known as 'the IT guy' in my family, I am sick and tired of messing around with drivers and troubleshooting for my siblings. As great as Windows 7 is, it is still sad to see many of the complexities of the PC carrying over to Windows 7. I still see people with 4-5 toolbars installed on Firefox. I still see Flash and other plugins crashing an entire browsing session for people. I still see bluescreens when people try to print at my school's library (god knows what the problem is, it could be anything). I still see people who have their entire desktop filled to the max with icons. I still see crapware in start menus that the user has no idea about. I still see people with laptops that forever to boot up and shut down (unlike us, most users out there don't know that they still have programs running in the background that slow down their shut down - now Windows 8 manages closing apps for you, problem solved!). The list goes on and on. There seems to be no remedy for this.

Another thing I take issue with is how the identity of the user is tied to a machine. You may be using both a Windows 7-based laptop and desktop, and yet, with the same user, both of these machines are going to feel worlds apart from each other, with no seamless way to share settings and files across your PC's, without having to resort to 3rd party tools. The identity of the user should be tied to the user, not the machine. With Windows 8, your purchased Apps and settings are tied to your Windows Live ID (if you have chosen to enter one when creating your Windows user account), essentially moving the identity of the user away from the machine and to the user itself, via the Windows Live ID.

The solution to all this is to start over, similar to what Microsoft did with Windows Phone 7. Like what I have stated in my sig, Windows 8 the reset that computers always have needed.

As for all these people who dismiss Windows 8 simply by saying that they can't get used to it, sorry to say this, but you do not understand Windows 8.

Edited by FalseAgent, 01 March 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#6 Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP

• 529 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Whenever something gets changed, people need time to get used to it. Thats what happened with Windows Vista and Windows 7 and now happening with Windows 8. :)

#7 CAS91572

CAS91572

Active WinMatrixian

• 640 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'm loving Windows 8. There was a bit of a learning curve. I figured everything out though! Windows 8 runs fast compared to Windows 7. At first I was worried about how it would work with a mouse. It works amazingly well with the mouse. I'm using it as my primary OS. I liked that I didn't have to burn an .iso, just download and install. I hope MS does the release that way. It would probably be cheaper then buying a disk! The metro apps are stunning! For those of you who don't like change, get over it! Windows 8 is a good change!

#8 Rehab Uddin

Rehab Uddin

New WinMatrixian

• 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

I liked the Metro.
But I think it is a bit complicated, the apps which came as default, is a bit complicated to use. the hotmail app, to go into my mail folder I had to right click and select. It was time consuming.
Same with the contact app.
But again its just a consumer preview and the app preview. It might get better.

Btw, I still did not find anything better which I use in daily life, I wish they would had implemented OSX like Expose.
Are they missing something like notification bar ? or I am not able to see it

Edited by Rehab Uddin, 01 March 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#9 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 818 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Seems like when you have a negative view on W8 you are a troll, so wont be joining the discussion.

#10 Som

Som

Som

• 448 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

heres a little problem and why windows 8 will not work out well for people who want to do something other than browse the web.

Editing a picture in photoshop but i want to look at a preview first....

assuming you start from explorer because you can't actually do it with the metro start screen

1.. open explorer, open pictures
2.. double click picture to preview (opens metro start screen and pictures "app")
3.. press the start button to bring you back to the start screen
4.. press the desktop tile to bring you back to your picture (in explorer)
5.. right click and open with photoshop

see in previous versions of windows you get to open a preview in whatever picture viewer you've installed, with metro its added these extra two steps that take you away from the picture you want to edit....

oh and don't say you can press "win+d" to bring back the desktop, thats not the point, the point is you shouldn't have to....

Edited by Som, 01 March 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#11 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,057 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

heres a little problem and why windows 8 will not work out well for people who want to do something other than browse the web.

Editing a picture in photoshop but i want to look at a preview first....

assuming you start from explorer because you can't actually do it with the metro start screen

1.. open explorer, open pictures
2.. double click picture to preview (opens metro start screen and pictures "app")
3.. press the start button to bring you back to the start screen
4.. press the desktop tile to bring you back to your picture (in explorer)
5.. right click and open with photoshop

see in previous versions of windows you get to open a preview in whatever picture viewer you've installed, with metro its added these extra two steps that take you away from the picture you want to edit....

oh and don't say you can press "win+d" to bring back the desktop, thats not the point, the point is you shouldn't have to....

Program Defaults. Yup, still there. ;)

#12 Secured Tim

Secured Tim

Call me Tim

• 2,079 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

• Power efficiency
  • ARM support
  • Systemwide Spell checker
  • Systemwide SmartScreen file protection
  • Xbox Live
  • Picture password
  • Skydrive explorer integration
  • IE10
  • Gestures
  • USB 3.0 Support
  • People, Music, Mail, Messaging Apps
  • Enhanced Copy Experience
  • Many more features other than Metro UI and App Store...

Edited by Secured Tim, 02 March 2012 - 04:00 AM.

#13 Darren 54

Darren 54

Active WinMatrixian

• 510 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

Posted Image

Sorry for trolling. I know Win8 is great! :lol:

#14 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 460 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

• Picture password
  • IE10
  • Gestures
  • USB 3.0 Support

1. I'm not american ( no offence ), I know how to write in English, German and Bulgarian. Without mistakes.
2. I have an antivirus.
3. Well, using a third party apps, I can set password to all kind of files in Windows 7, not only pictures.
4. Possible in Windows 7, Vista, and probably XP.
5. IE is shit. I have Chrome.
6. Right, I should remember a couple of different gestures, different from the pinch-to-zoom and slide right/left/up/down.
7. Windows 7 supports USB 3.0.
8. Windows Live or many third party apps.
9. Really? Show me.
10. Sure...

Many of you say, that if we don't like Metro, we're Linux fans. OK, so Windows 7, Vista and XP are Linux then. And now Linux has much bigger market share than 1%. Problem?

Edited by mediar, 02 March 2012 - 08:40 AM.

#15 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 818 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

• Power efficiency
  • ARM support
  • Xbox Live
  • Picture password
  • IE10
  • Gestures
  • USB 3.0 Support

Enough to warrant the mark Windows 7.01

#16 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Download and installed. So far it's good and I don't see what the big issue is. I will do more exploring and write back.

#17 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,057 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

Honestly, the more I use it, the more it feels "natural". It's nothing more than a natural progression in Windows development like Windows 7 was to Windows Vista.

After 3 days of use, my only irks are that we now have two Control Panels (Where's our unified Panel?), and I think Microsoft needs to unbury the shut down options.

#18 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

Honestly, the more I use it, the more it feels "natural". It's nothing more than a natural progression in Windows development like Windows 7 was to Windows Vista.

After 3 days of use, my only irks are that we now have two Control Panels (Where's our unified Panel?), and I think Microsoft needs to unbury the shut down options.

I totally agree about the control panel thing. The metro control panel in the DP had a link to the desktop control panel, but now, the desktop control panel is nicely buried in the settings charm of the desktop. I guess it makes sense, but I miss how you could jump to the desktop control panel from the metro one in the DP.

Also, I must say, Windows 8 multitasks like a pro. Just like how Windows 7 multitasks better than XP when it came about.

Have you guys found any cool apps? Please share them! (and can I just say how much I love Cut The Rope? :D )

For people like me staying in south-east asia, check out the NAVITIME app. It's a pretty bare bones GPS app, but my god, the voice guide is amazing!

Edited by FalseAgent, 02 March 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#19 RUY

RUY

Active WinMatrixian

• 682 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

win 8 has whole new architecture and consumes less ram than win 7 and it has reset features and there are alot more features I dont have time to tell Bing it.

#20 Tataarujin

Tataarujin

Fight to the end. Be in the shadows.

• 418 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

I have only 1 feeling about Windows 8.

PURE HATRED.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!