Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

It's here! Windows 8 CP downloads links!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Ok, first review:

- Still doesn't support installing on a GPT drive. No Microsoft I WILL NOT RESIZE ANY PARTITIONS ON MY MASTER HDD TO ACCOMODATE ANYTHING MORE!

Edited by Afzal, 01 March 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#42 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Bottom line for me is I don't need all this touchscreen, fullscreen fuss for my desktop, the only computer I have still on windows mainly for gaming.

Then uninstall the fullscreen apps. All your old apps will still continue to work.

Let me correct this for you:

Then don install windows 8. Windows 7 will continue to work.

#43 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

Ok, first review:

- Still doesn't support installing on a GPT drive. No Microsoft I WILL NOT RESIZE ANY PARTITIONS ON MY MASTER HDD TO ACCOMODATE ANYTHING MORE!

GPT will not work with x86, but Microsoft has had support for this since Vista SP1 for EFI only.

Edited by Frylock86, 01 March 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#44 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

What OS is constantly turned down by the consumer market? Linux.
What OS can never reach past 1% market share? Linux.
What OS is constantly pushed and pulled in new directions, by warring developers? Linux.
What OS has a UI that is quite literally, all over the place that makes its use impossible? Linux.
What OS has little to no backing or support by third parties? Linux.
What OS has to constantly mask itself to look like Windows to get people to even *look* at it? Linux.

Android ( Linux ):
1. 300m Android devices, 12m tablets, 850k activations every day;
2. 50.9% of the sold smartphones in 2012;
3. Just no;
4. I just don't get that part - is it a problem? To have a unified UI across the entire OS, unlike Windows 8? I'll count it as a plus.
5. Bitch please - Android market with more than 500000 apps available. No support from third parties?
6. Nothing to prove here - just look at Android's UI ( especially for tablets - still better story than Windows 8 ).

Are we really comparing a mobile OS to a fully fledged OS like Windows? We're talking about the desktop OS market here. Which Linux is absolutely pitiful at.

Even so Android is arguably the least unified and slapped together mobile OS on the market, and it's activation numbers are inflated by those who can't afford to shell out actual money for an iOS device. This especially shows when you take away market subsidization.

So i'll restate mainstream Linux for desktop PC's is garbage.

I find it funny that you even made this comparison. It's about as relevant as comparing Windows to a Roku box or SmartTV.

#45 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

Windows is fully fledged OS? It is, right, but which part of Windows? The desktop one. But you're not going to use the desktop on your tablet, because it is not optimized for touchscreen. The only part of Windows 8, which you're going to use on your tablet is the Metro UI, which provides only some basic functions, like checking the weather or calendar, browsing in internet, checking facebook, listening to music and such... So, is it really that revolutionary? It doesn't even have file explorer...

On the other hand, the only real competitor among the tablets, is the tablet version of Android, which I find really advanced, especially after 4.0. Comparing Android with the desktop Windows is not right, but comparing the Metro UI with Android is absolutely normal. And for me, Android wins.

Microsoft is trying to combine two different type of devices with one UI, but it actually screws them both. When you use normal PC, you'll constantly switch to the Metro UI, because of the lack of Start Menu and normal CP. And when you use tablet, you'll constantly switch to the desktop UI, because many apps don't support Metro UI. So Windows 8 is wrong on so many levels.

Edited by mediar, 02 March 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#46 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Well, you seriously underestimate the power of the tablet version of Android 4. But it's ok for you - you didn't even know it's linux. And the printing argument is stupid - I have a Xperia Pro ( I'm writing this post with it ) and I can prove you that I can print anything with it, despite it not being even a tablet. I can still use third part apps, like this one - https://market.andro...re.printershare , but I don't really need to. Do you have anything to tell me? So, what exacly the tablet version of Windows 8 is more capable of Android? Office? No. Internet browsing? No. Using projector? No. AutoCAD? No. Connecting to a big screen? I have HDMI. Editing video and photos? I have Photoshop touch, which is not even compatible with Windows Metro. So?

But let me remain you, that the discussion is not Windows vs. Android. It's that the Metro is not suitable for normal PC.

Have you used a Windows tablet before? no? Well try Windows 8 on your desktop. And then imagine everything that is on your desktop, everything that your desktop can do, as it is - on your tablet. That is Windows 8. In fact, i'd argue that Windows Tablets will be able to do more than Windows desktops because of the mobility of tablets and the sensors they have.

Do I have anything to tell you? Yeah, sure. Android lack tablet-specific apps. Google is just aimlessly hoping that developers will make tablet versions of Android apps, which obviously isn't happening. Microsoft on the other hand, isn't just hoping for tablet apps - they're betting on it. That is the difference. Also, I know that Android is based on Linux.

The printing argument isn't stupid. It was a figure of speech, and it wasn't meant to the taken literally.

Office will run on ARM with touch capabilities, so yes, Windows Tablets will be better at office, hands-down.

However, Windows 8 isn't even gold yet - how can you expect photoshop touch on it? We do not know, but it is entirely possible that Adobe is working on porting the full-fledged photoshop to Metro. It's just that Adobe can't sell it just yet because the Windows Store just opened with the CP - and it only allows for free apps now. Same goes for AutoCAD.

Windows is fully fledged OS? It is, right, but which part of Windows? The desktop one. But you're not going to use the desktop on your tablet, because it is not optimized for touchscreen. The only part of Windows 8, which you're going to use on your tablet is the Metro UI, which provides only some basic functions, like checking the weather or calendar, browsing in internet, checking facebook, listening to music and such... So, is it really that revolutionary? It doesn't even have file explorer...

On the other hand, the only real competitor among the tablets, is the tablet version of Android, which I find really advanced, especially after 4.0. Comparing Android with the desktop Windows is not right, but comparing the Metro UI with Android is absolutely normal. And for me, Android wins.

Microsoft is trying to combine two different type of devices with one UI, but it actually screws them both. When you use normal PC, you'll constantly switch to the Metro UI, because of the lack of Start Menu and normal CP. And when you use tablet, you'll constantly switch to the desktop UI, because many apps don't support Metro UI. So Windows 8 is wrong on so many levels.

There IS a metro file explorer. But that's ok - you didn't know that it's windows.

To be fair - Windows 8 is in a middle of a transition. Once all of the apps go metro, we no longer will need to use the desktop just for our legacy apps, and no more switching back and forth. For now, we will have to put up with the switching, which honestly, isn't as bad as what everyone makes it out to be. In fact, what is worse is how most of the Android tablets on the market are still on Honeycomb, when 4.0 has been around for some time already. Sorry, but rooting your device is a no-go for the mainstream market.

Are we really comparing a mobile OS to a fully fledged OS like Windows? We're talking about the desktop OS market here. Which Linux is absolutely pitiful at.

Even so Android is arguably the least unified and slapped together mobile OS on the market, and it's activation numbers are inflated by those who can't afford to shell out actual money for an iOS device. This especially shows when you take away market subsidization.

So i'll restate mainstream Linux for desktop PC's is garbage.

I find it funny that you even made this comparison. It's about as relevant as comparing Windows to a Roku box or SmartTV.

This.

Edited by FalseAgent, 02 March 2012 - 10:47 AM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!