Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

It's here! Windows 8 CP downloads links!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

Yeah...sorry about that. I realized that I was being stupid and edited my post. I guess i'm just tired of seeing hate comments on literally every single Windows 8 thread here on WM. *shrugs*

It's funny that the trend is hate comments on Windows 8 threads.... which means Microsoft is obviously doing something wrong that is pissing off A LOT of people. And it's not just on WM, it's on any thread on any forum. I just think Metro UI is one of those things that's a huge hit or miss, as in some people will like it, some people won't mind it, but lot's of people can hate it.

I personally hate it.

Edited by hab, 01 March 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#22 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:50 AM

Downloading it now. Thanks for the links. :D

#23 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

It's funny that the trend is hate comments on Windows 8 threads.... which means Microsoft is obviously doing something wrong that is pissing off A LOT of people. And it's not just on WM, it's on any thread on any forum. I just think Metro UI is one of those things that's a huge hit or miss, as in some people will like it, some people won't mind it, but lot's of people can hate it.

I personally hate it.

You don't hate it, you just are unable to embrace change...
both OSX and Windows are heading towards the same future. Same future, two different paths.

And sorry, Linux doesn't count in the consumer market.

#24 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

POPULAR

What OS is constantly turned down by the consumer market? Linux.
What OS can never reach past 1% market share? Linux.
What OS is constantly pushed and pulled in new directions, by warring developers? Linux.
What OS has a UI that is quite literally, all over the place that makes its use impossible? Linux.
What OS has little to no backing or support by third parties? Linux.
What OS has to constantly mask itself to look like Windows to get people to even *look* at it? Linux.

Android ( Linux ):
1. 300m Android devices, 12m tablets, 850k activations every day;
2. 50.9% of the sold smartphones in 2012;
3. Just no;
4. I just don't get that part - is it a problem? To have a unified UI across the entire OS, unlike Windows 8? I'll count it as a plus.
5. Bitch please - Android market with more than 500000 apps available. No support from third parties?
6. Nothing to prove here - just look at Android's UI ( especially for tablets - still better story than Windows 8 ).

#25 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

What OS is constantly turned down by the consumer market? Linux.
What OS can never reach past 1% market share? Linux.
What OS is constantly pushed and pulled in new directions, by warring developers? Linux.
What OS has a UI that is quite literally, all over the place that makes its use impossible? Linux.
What OS has little to no backing or support by third parties? Linux.
What OS has to constantly mask itself to look like Windows to get people to even *look* at it? Linux.

People like you really piss me off.
You could do the world a favor by shutting up when talking about stuff you obviously don't know about (the Linux part).

You sound like one of those commercials by Microsoft that twists the truth so much it becomes a lie, i didn't think people actually believes that shit.

That's why others shouldn't be knocking Windows 8, *which they know nothing of*.

BTW, I do run Ubuntu on the side, and as a consumer it holds little value to me. I can't game on it, I can't listen to Zune on it... About all it's good for is doing my banking. It's a mess, literally and figuratively.

Well that's another techies will have to get over and deal with. Your average computer user is not a techy. I mean how often do you meet someone offline that you could have a technical conversation with about computers. Companies need to appeal to the majority not the minority lest they want to file Chapter 8.

This is EXACTLY the point. Well said. I hate to say it, but "power users" are the minority. You're inconsequential to the tech world. That's great that you can sit there and tweak the OS to the core, but no one does that. No one. Apple knows this, and Microsoft knows this. Windows 8 has simply been a long time coming - Just look how everyone bitched about the "simplicity" of Windows 7. Consumers have a one track mind, they give very little attention, and if anything is too complicated, then forget it, your product is DOA *cough* Linux *cough*.

The thing of it is, there IS a shift in computing. There's no denying it now. Consumers want simpler devices, simpler methods of computing. Metro delivers that. iOS delivers that. Desktop Linux.... Not so much.
Microsoft could either remain in the past with you power users, or move forward with the consumers. What choice would you have made?

check out gnome 3 and then tell me that desktop Linux is not simplifying.

#26 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

wow, many Linux fans here. It's a no wonder people here hate Windows 8.

#27 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

I said it earlier, but Windows is a consumer first, power user second OS. If Microsoft listened to every little, whiny, power user there is, Windows would look very much like Linux, and be forever grounded... Just like Linux. Being consumer oriented doesn't sit well with power users, but that's just the way things are.

#28 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

I'm going to try it out and write about it. As a Linux user, I can say that Ubuntu is way ahead of the other Linux OSes when it comes to the user.

#29 yoni5002

yoni5002

Active WinMatrixian

• 345 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

I might sound exceptionally biased but I do not like what Windows 8 is offering as "revolutionary".

I'm planning on buying a tablet to honestly evaluate it. As a PC user I can't stand the lack of my Start button. The sidebar "start" replacement does not seem to fit me (perhaps because I'm not used to it).

Why in the planet do I need to see the huge black stripe with Time and Date every time I'm trying just to access a file, a setting or a document from the SideBar? I use the PC for mostly work and going back and forth from-to the Start screen to my desktop for word processing, excel and doing things that I haven't found do-able from the welcome page is simply disorienting in my experience. What's the difference between getting used to a new interface in a 15 years consistent OS that has worked for the most part for most people and the learning curve of a completely new OS such as Ubuntu Linux or Mac OS X to name the most common ones?

I honestly find Windows 7 to be my choice of preference. Integration with the cloud doesn't have to make you feel lost or disoriented! Look at Apple's approach!

I don't have to adapt myself to the new OS. It is suppose to work the other way around!

Good things such as performance improvements is noticeable as soon as the OS is installed and running but at the expense of disorientation and wondering...

Try to do some office work while using speech recognition to browse online for a research and see how well Win8 goes for you.

Booting into Se7en for now I find myself.

As of today, it is retarded to believe your arm and finger will replace a point and click device and a keyboard for work.

#30 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

I don't have to adapt myself to the new OS. It is suppose to work the other way around!

That's right, you don't have to adapt yourself to Windows 8. It works the other way around.

Windows 8 adapts to whatever system it is installed on, be it a tablet with touch, tablet with mouse and keyboard, a full-fledged desktop (with or without touch) or a laptop (again, with or without touch).

To be fair, adapting to Windows 8 is the same as how we all have adapted to Android and iOS over the past couple of years. Only this time, this change is on our desktops, and hopefully, when Windows 8 ARM goes gold, tablets as well.

I said it earlier, but Windows is a consumer first, power user second OS. If Microsoft listened to every little, whiny, power user there is, Windows would look very much like Linux, and be forever grounded... Just like Linux. Being consumer oriented doesn't sit well with power users, but that's just the way things are.

That is right. In fact, after seeing how consumer-oriented Windows 8 is, I think we may be heading towards a new future where power users start abandoning Windows and start to use Linux almost exclusively. We'll see.

And if that happens, Winmatrix probably should become a linux forum as well, because of all the linux users around here. And if that happens to Winmatrix, I will leave this forum for the greater good :D

Edited by FalseAgent, 01 March 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#31 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

I personally hate it.

both OSX and Windows are heading towards the same future. Same future, two different paths.

And sorry, Linux doesn't count in the consumer market.

Embrace change you serious? I love change. I'm the type that gets bored of a wallpaper after a few days, I love Windows 7 (went from XP to 7), and I do embrace change as I'm on the people that actually like change. I just think Microsoft is going in the wrong direction with Metro UI for desktops, and then mixing it with a touch interface. IMO, keep the 2 separate.

#32 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

And if that happens, Winmatrix probably should become a linux forum as well, because of all the linux users around here. And if that happens to Winmatrix, I will leave this forum for the greater good :D

That was a senseless comment. WinMatrix already became more than Windows. The more OSes the more people that will be a part of this community.

I really can't wait to get home and test Windows 8. Lol! Reading these Windows 8 topics almost messed me up on my tech exam today. One of the questions was "What's the latest Windows OS?" and Windows 8 was an option. I serious had to ask my teacher what he meant.

From what I've seen in the videos, it's definitely different and I'm seriously glad to see the start menu gone.

#33 Mellexx

Mellexx

StanceWorks Addicted

• 329 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

Embrace change you serious? I love change. I'm the type that gets bored of a wallpaper after a few days, I love Windows 7 (went from XP to 7), and I do embrace change as I'm on the people that actually like change. I just think Microsoft is going in the wrong direction with Metro UI for desktops, and then mixing it with a touch interface. IMO, keep the 2 separate.

This is exactly how I feel as well!

I'm all for change but I really dislike Windows 8. I've used several releases since the leaks started including the developer preview and now the consumer one and quite honestly I'm not impressed by how it works on desktops at all it's too touch screen orientated, and my mouse and keyboard just don't cut it for this.

When vista was out I immediately got my hands on it as fast as I could and eagerly installed it on my unsupported laptop. When 7 came out I got an official copy early and threw that bad boy on my desktop as soon as possible too. Windows 8 tried to give it a shot, but ultimately got fed up with it. I've used tablets, and I quite honestly don't see what all the fuss is about them. The reason I loved Vista and 7 was because they were a huge improvement over the previous releases, their pleasing aesthetics, and general usability on all of my systems. I just don't see windows 8 being anything "revolutionary" like they had talked about when it first came out. Dare I say what the hell ever happened to their proposed "Super Special Awesome 64-bit user only desktop mode"?

I'm teaching my 80 something year old grandma how to use a windows 7 laptop right now, now if I tried to teach her on this she'd probably of thrown the thing out the window by now. I have a feeling this is how new mostly non-advanced users who are upgrading their family pc will feel once it's released..

Bottom line for me is I don't need all this touchscreen, fullscreen fuss for my desktop, the only computer I have still on windows mainly for gaming.

Just my opinion on the matter, just gotta keep in mind it's all opinions guys!

#34 tinkerer_svk

tinkerer_svk

is my zipper open? oh, shit...

• 90 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

I don't even know what keeps you defending 8...
The new UI made it completely unusable for me. Windows 8 may be a step forward, but step forward to where?
Unless you own a mobile-touch enabled device, you really want the full experience from mature OS, that Windows 7, newest cat picture printed on the Mac box, (not going to favorite any distro here), Ubuntu has. Windows 8 is just a trimmed version of good OS that doesn't bring anything new to the table.

If I wanted Windows tablet device, I would actually rather run iOS,Android, Windows 7 tablet.

Edited by tinkerer_svk, 01 March 2012 - 06:58 PM.

#35 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Bottom line for me is I don't need all this touchscreen, fullscreen fuss for my desktop, the only computer I have still on windows mainly for gaming.

Then uninstall the fullscreen apps. All your old apps will still continue to work.

#36 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

That was a senseless comment. WinMatrix already became more than Windows. The more OSes the more people that will be a part of this community.

I really can't wait to get home and test Windows 8. Lol! Reading these Windows 8 topics almost messed me up on my tech exam today. One of the questions was "What's the latest Windows OS?" and Windows 8 was an option. I serious had to ask my teacher what he meant.

From what I've seen in the videos, it's definitely different and I'm seriously glad to see the start menu gone.

What course is this where you get asked a question like that?

#37 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

I don't necessarily think that our touch-enabled devices and mouse+keyboard devices need to use different UI's. They both can use the same UI, no need to keep the 2 separate. The same OS, and the same apps on it, same experience, with or without touch. Lesser pressure on developers, lesser complexities for the user too (minus the initial learning curve).

I don't even know what keeps you defending 8...
The new UI made it completely unusable for me. Windows 8 may be a step forward, but step forward to where?
Unless you own a mobile-touch enabled device, you really want the full experience from mature OS, that Windows 7, newest cat picture printed on the Mac box, (not going to favorite any distro here), Ubuntu has. Windows 8 is just a trimmed version of good OS that doesn't bring anything new to the table.

If I wanted Windows tablet device, I would actually rather run iOS,Android, Windows 7 tablet.

can iOS or Android replace your laptop on the go? I don't think so, these tablets aren't quite there yet. I firmly believe that, with Windows 8, the industry is one huge step towards having capable tablets that are able to replace our laptops when we are on the go, because, hey, they both run the same OS, share the same apps, settings, and even files, seamlessly and natively. And it's Windows, it can print™!

If you're going to continue to harp on the UI and how it made it "completely unusable" for you (which, by the way, is an obvious exaggeration, try harder next time), then I kinda feel sorry at how superficial your viewpoint is.

I know that WinMatrix is already more than Windows. However, if it becomes a primarily Linux userbase here, then WinMatrix is no longer more than Windows, it would be more than Linux. It would be a fundamental shift of focus for the community here. If this shift of focus happens, I will no longer be interested to be around, it wouldn't make sense as I do not know much about Linux at all. That was what I meant.

Edited by FalseAgent, 01 March 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#38 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Installed it (just like DP)

Tried it

Metro start is still utter shit for desktop!!!

My mouse hates me for installing this.

>>> WTF <<<

Edited by Borix, 01 March 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#39 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

can iOS or Android replace your laptop on the go? I don't think so, these tablets aren't quite there yet. I firmly believe that, with Windows 8, the industry is one huge step towards having capable tablets that are able to replace our laptops when we are on the go, because, hey, they both run the same OS, share the same apps, settings, and even files, seamlessly and natively. And it's Windows, it can print™!

If you're going to continue to harp on the UI and how it made it "completely unusable" for you (which, by the way, is an obvious exaggeration, try harder next time), then I kinda feel sorry at how superficial your viewpoint is.

Well, you seriously underestimate the power of the tablet version of Android 4. But it's ok for you - you didn't even know it's linux. And the printing argument is stupid - I have a Xperia Pro ( I'm writing this post with it ) and I can prove you that I can print anything with it, despite it not being even a tablet. I can still use third part apps, like this one - https://market.andro...re.printershare , but I don't really need to. Do you have anything to tell me? So, what exacly the tablet version of Windows 8 is more capable of Android? Office? No. Internet browsing? No. Using projector? No. AutoCAD? No. Connecting to a big screen? I have HDMI. Editing video and photos? I have Photoshop touch, which is not even compatible with Windows Metro. So?

But let me remain you, that the discussion is not Windows vs. Android. It's that the Metro is not suitable for normal PC.

Edited by mediar, 01 March 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#40 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

What course is this where you get asked a question like that?

ITEC. My teacher is real cool and on exams he asks questions not in the book. I've started a new major in Unix/Linux and Business & Finance.

Edited by yanike, 01 March 2012 - 10:01 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!