Apple Announces OS X 'Mountain Lion' Update

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,777 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

Apple has announced its latest version of OS X "Mountain Lion" (version 10.8) to take on Windows 8. The new version will be more like iOS than ever, as Apple integrates various mobile services and moves to yearly OS updates across all its devices.

A preview version of Mountain Lion is now available for download for Mac developers and the final version will launch for consumers sometime this summer.

Posted Image

There's no more iChat, iCal or Address Book. You'll soon be using Messages, Calendar and Contacts — the same names on all products, with no more of the outdated "i" in front of app names. AirPlay, Game Center, Reminders, Notes and Notification Center are all new to the Mac too, looking much like their iOS counterparts.

Source: Wired

#2 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

:D:D:DD: will this really be a free update or will this be called like a new OS? As Leopard was 10.5 and Snow Leopard was 10.6 and Lion is 10.7

#3 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 818 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

:D:D:DD: will this really be a free update or will this be called like a new OS? As Leopard was 10.5 and Snow Leopard was 10.6 and Lion is 10.7

What do you mean? This will be 10.8 Mountain Lion.

OT: some nice additions and more integration, some apple users will not be happy bout the further iOS influence.
If it is not to pricey I will go for it for my MBP.

Edited by Borix, 17 February 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#4 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

what is talking you?

I don't know about you guys, but I don't like where OSX seems to be heading. It is now full of UI inconsistencies, every app looks different from one another.

And god, the notifications center makes me want to tear my eyes out. It is a good addition to the OS, except that when compared to Windows, Windows always had notifications.

I also think apple is adding far too many trackpad gestures. You're going to be doing a heck load of finger-dancing on the trackpad. Good news is that the trackpads on Macs are usually excellent, so okay.

#5 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

What do you mean? This will be 10.8 Mountain Lion.

OT: some nice additions and more integration, some apple users will not be happy bout the further iOS influence.
If it is not to pricey I will go for it for my MBP.

err, yes?

what is talking you?

I don't know about you guys, but I don't like where OSX seems to be heading. It is now full of UI inconsistencies, every app looks different from one another.

And god, the notifications center makes me want to tear my eyes out. It is a good addition to the OS, except that when compared to Windows, Windows always had notifications.

I also think apple is adding far too many trackpad gestures. You're going to be doing a heck load of finger-dancing on the trackpad. Good news is that the trackpads on Macs are usually excellent, so okay.

What part don't you understand?

And when you say: "I don't know about you guys, but I don't like where OSX seems to be heading. " - I immediately thought of Windows 8.

The notifications center is nice. I like it in both iPhone and iPad and i think it can be a good part of the OS, you get a timeline with notifications that happened, and you just have to check it and understand what have happened while you were gone or something, in a perfect order. Yes Windows have had notifications, but they're notification bubbles, they disappear after like, what? 3 sec? In Notifications center they will be there until you check it or remove it.

Many trackpad gestures is good, but not when they're redefining them. - Also, you still don't have to use the gesture feature at all, why complain?

#6 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

what is talking you?

Agree but I think it'll change, this is the developer preview....hopefully

#7 Tataarujin

Tataarujin

Fight to the end. Be in the shadows.

• 418 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Look at Gatekeeper icon. Now look at MSE icon.

Seriously Apple, do you think you have right to stole things and others don't? Very egoistic from your side.

Microsoft, sue the Apple to Oblivion!

#8 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

And when you say: "I don't know about you guys, but I don't like where OSX seems to be heading. " - I immediately thought of Windows 8.

The notifications center is nice. I like it in both iPhone and iPad and i think it can be a good part of the OS, you get a timeline with notifications that happened, and you just have to check it and understand what have happened while you were gone or something, in a perfect order. Yes Windows have had notifications, but they're notification bubbles, they disappear after like, what? 3 sec? In Notifications center they will be there until you check it or remove it.

Many trackpad gestures is good, but not when they're redefining them. - Also, you still don't have to use the gesture feature at all, why complain?

I think that Notifications center will be great too - but - I hate how it looks. It looks like crap. Seriously.

In fact, the whole UI of OSX is becoming a mess. Use Leopard and you'll know what I mean by the inconsistencies.

Edited by FalseAgent, 18 February 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#9 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

Seriously Apple, do you think you have right to stole things and others don't? Very egoistic from your side.

Nope. The icon is similar, but not the same.

#10 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

I think that Notifications center will be great too - but - I hate how it looks. It looks like crap. Seriously.

In fact, the whole UI of OSX is becoming a mess. Use Leopard and you'll know what I mean by the inconsistencies.

I am using Lion and it isn't a mess though, and i don't think Mountain Lion will be any more of a mess either. But Windows 8 Metro and Phone 8 on the other hand.. no clear alignment details or something, just text, no red thread through the contents. When you look at the screen, there is just text.

#11 pataoengineer

pataoengineer

@pataoengineer

• 1,155 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Seems like there is no 'notable breakthrough' linked with this major release.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think Apple is focusing on iOS much more than OSX. :blink:

#12 Tataarujin

Tataarujin

Fight to the end. Be in the shadows.

• 418 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

Yanike, please, SHUT UP, your endless dumb loyalty to Apple is pissing me off. If you're not blind, you will notice they are 80% same.

#13 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

Yanike, please, SHUT UP, your endless dumb loyalty to Apple is pissing me off. If you're not blind, you will notice they are 80% same.

I'm writing this from my new iPhone 4. They are not the same. Lol!!!!! Ok I'll stop. Apple did do a good job mimicking the icon's angle and idea. Still the icon is different.

Edited by yanike, 20 February 2012 - 03:59 AM.

#14 Mellexx

Mellexx

StanceWorks Addicted

• 327 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Does it really make a difference if every icon was 99.99% the same? It's the first developer preview deal with it, things are subject to change

#15 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:54 AM

Does it really make a difference if every icon was 99.99% the same? It's the first developer preview deal with it, things are subject to change

Actually the icon is not the same. The angle is but not the look.

#16 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

Do you really think your response was necessary? I think you flew off the handle a little bit there.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!