Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Welcome to Winmatrix. Amazing work!

#22 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Welcome to Winmatrix. Amazing work!

Thanks, CAS!!! Launch Splinter. Love Splinter. Live Splinter... HA.

#23 Loveliet

Loveliet

Blah

• 149 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

So I see that this program has a lot of features...I watched your video presentation of what this program is capable of and how you could hot link these splinters and even feed website information through something as well.

Currently the Metro interface (just for discussions sake) puts things like these into small pre-designed boxes and apps which already have their functions set for you. However, i believe this program allows for you to create your own features, doing the same thing but better, with the idea that the desktop and its programs should all be a unified interface, right?

This is something i always thought i would of liked to see happen, the task bar and desktop way of doing things has gotten boring and I believe the app way of doing things is only just beginning to think about presenting these ideas to people in a consumable and easy to use fashion.

So say i wanted the weather on this, how would I do that? Make a splinter for each day and all the information?

There are a few simple things i would just like to point out that i enjoy on my desktop, usually. Weather, feeds, quick links to my most used program shortcuts and/or links to places that ordinarily take a couple of steps to get to, currently playing music information, time and date, search engines, system information such as the cpu load and ram and control over my volume and knowledge of whats in my recycle bin and or how much disk space i have left. I also believe that control over what icons and wallpaper i use for such purposes mesh together in an attractive way.

Currently windows 7 has a few programs which do this already and rainmeter is the most notable example. It gives you information in an attractive way and in most cases allows for you to use either user made skins or your own to create an interface. These can be as minimal or cluttered as you like. I personally like to hide task bar and handle all my functions, even shutting down and locking the computer, straight from the desktop.

So from my understanding, is this program capable of this and more? I think i understand that it will probably rely on user made content to extent its potential, which can probably turn out pretty well for its growth.

What say you? Keep in mind, I'm just curious and would like to understand your program a little more and why i should use it.

#24 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'm still not sure, after watching all the videos, what this is for and how this is different from Rainmeter.

Why do you have those "3d" looking backgrounds? Are they part of Splinter?

#25 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

So I see that this program has a lot of features...I watched your video presentation of what this program is capable of and how you could hot link these splinters and even feed website information through something as well.

Currently the Metro interface (just for discussions sake) puts things like these into small pre-designed boxes and apps which already have their functions set for you. However, i believe this program allows for you to create your own features, doing the same thing but better, with the idea that the desktop and its programs should all be a unified interface, right?

This is something i always thought i would of liked to see happen, the task bar and desktop way of doing things has gotten boring and I believe the app way of doing things is only just beginning to think about presenting these ideas to people in a consumable and easy to use fashion.

So say i wanted the weather on this, how would I do that? Make a splinter for each day and all the information?

There are a few simple things i would just like to point out that i enjoy on my desktop, usually. Weather, feeds, quick links to my most used program shortcuts and/or links to places that ordinarily take a couple of steps to get to, currently playing music information, time and date, search engines, system information such as the cpu load and ram and control over my volume and knowledge of whats in my recycle bin and or how much disk space i have left. I also believe that control over what icons and wallpaper i use for such purposes mesh together in an attractive way.

Currently windows 7 has a few programs which do this already and rainmeter is the most notable example. It gives you information in an attractive way and in most cases allows for you to use either user made skins or your own to create an interface. These can be as minimal or cluttered as you like. I personally like to hide task bar and handle all my functions, even shutting down and locking the computer, straight from the desktop.

So from my understanding, is this program capable of this and more? I think i understand that it will probably rely on user made content to extent its potential, which can probably turn out pretty well for its growth.

What say you? Keep in mind, I'm just curious and would like to understand your program a little more and why i should use it.

hi, loveliet. your assumptions are correct. everything is user/artist created, with Splinter. Splinter only gives you the ability to access and create ways to access data, As that is the only purpose of the desktop environment. Quick access to information and the ability to alter its appearance to better suit the end user's needs.Splinter is only a means to customize the desktop interface on a completely whole new level, however "you" see fit.. the "skins" as you put, are not really skins. At the core level, the "pages" are just Windows wallpapers. The triggers are simply borderless dock icons. And the splicons are, more or less, stack docklets with a twist. (the "super" abilities of the three Splinter branches come when combining them, as explained below).Splinter is a gateway to information because it combines tunctionalities of the desktop environment, in new ways, whereas they were previously all separate from each other.

You may have a icon dock station, a file launcher, a stack docklet, a wallpaper flipper, and a visual style editor running on your pc now, but they are for the most part, all completely separate from each other. even a stack docklet running on an icon dock is still two separate entities. Merely "holding" the stack dock does not mean that they are working, in tandem.

Splinter blends all five of these, in multiple ways. Like if you combine the functionalities of A and B, you can get a cool new ability. Combine B and D and get a different cool new ability. Combine A, B, and E and get another new cool ability. And so on. For all five of them. Splinter simply takes what was already there and allows them to link together, opening numerous doors and showing that previously conceived obstacles within the desktop environment are not just gone NOW, but that they were never really there. Like the obstacles(locked doors) simply needed to have the digits on the combination lock pressed in the right order.

Splinter can do anything that any other "desktop app" can do, with regards to utilitarian needs. Plus do more than any other desktop app. Because, not only does it have all of the abilities of all of the apps, in their solo states, but the added abilities that blending them brings, as I have shown in the videos

Edited by deema, 29 March 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#26 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

I'm still not sure, after watching all the videos, what this is for and how this is different from Rainmeter.

Why do you have those "3d" looking backgrounds? Are they part of Splinter?

Hi, Afzai. I edited my post reply to loveliet , directly below your post, and I think that it may be a better answer for you as well, than the one I originally gave. any quesitons, let me know

Also,

3d backgrounds are only 2d wallpaper images. i just rendered out images from a 3d model and then used them as the images for 'pages". Pages are nothing but Windows wallpapers. Splinter does not run any application window above the current windows explorer environment. Splinter just uses Windows Explorer better than Explorer uses itself, at times. By combining functionalities together, Splinter is able to take static, 2d wallpapers and turn the environment into what only appears to be a 3d world, doing NOTHING but wallpaper flipping and trigger and splicon placements on various pages(wallpapers)

And Splinter's use of Explorer is exactly why it is so powerful and so super fast. Because it doesnt run over explorer in a separate window and interfere with or try to take control of Explorer functionalities. It just acts as the boss, telling Explorer what to do in order for it to be much more than it could previously. Splinter is just a front end for Explorer. Anything else would take resources and slow the pc and the interface down.

Edited by deema, 21 March 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#27 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

Keep in mind when looking at or running the splinterfaces that I have created, that I am only Splinter's developer. I am not an artist, a game maker, a storyteller, etc. Judge them by the new things that I am showing you are now able to BE created, and the way that I link imagery with utilitarian functions( the linking isnt very evident in the videos as they are just , for the most part, quick visual blasts, not real-time interaction. The vid, below, however, is shown in real-time interaction. )

Alice Edition Splinter, the way that I created it, has no utilitarian functions. It is simply meant to be run/interacted from beginning to end, in order to experience the Wonderland tale in a new way.

ALSO, ABOUT A YEAR OLD AND USING A TERRIBLE SCREEN RECORDER setting

Edited by deema, 29 March 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#28 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

oops

Edited by deema, 08 July 2013 - 01:47 AM.

#29 Loveliet

Loveliet

Blah

• 149 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

Hmm. its a nice feature, but i couldn't imagine using it for any of this personally. I'd surely just want to see if the program overcomes some of the common limitations of rain meter and such other programs like the metro interface while still providing what is essential to me.

Edited by Loveliet, 28 February 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#30 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

Hmm. its a nice feature, but i couldn't imagine using it for any of this personally. I'd surely just want to see if the program overcomes some of the common limitations of rain meter and such other programs like the metro interface while still providing what is essential to me.

what is essential to you?

Anything that Splinter is not "able" to do itself, is easily integrated into a splinterface, by simple hotlinnking.

Edited by deema, 29 March 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#31 JKTJogi

JKTJogi

WinMatrixian

• 86 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:15 AM

TLDR, is it a desktop game where you can build all these different environments with per-rendered images?

#32 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

TLDR, is it a desktop game where you can build all these different environments with per-rendered images?

It CAN be a game, if you make it such. Splinterfaces are anything that you create them to be.

The different environments you ask about are nothing more than a standard desktop wallpaper, with splicons and triggers added to create the illusion of "everything". Whatever you want done, it will do.

Use it to create and/or run a splitnerface

Edited by deema, 29 March 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#33 Guest_Raghu_*

Guest_Raghu_*

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

I think Splinter is like AveDesk, with tons of enhancements but without any productive use. Instead of releasing superhero images you should make some folder and application images, and add some options to launch particular apps by clicking on them so that people would be able to make their desktop look cool and useful as the same time.

#34 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:09 AM

I think Splinter is like AveDesk, with tons of enhancements but without any productive use. Instead of releasing superhero images you should make some folder and application images, and add some options to launch particular apps by clicking on them so that people would be able to make their desktop look cool and useful as the same time.

First and foremost, above everything else, Splinter is a utilitarian app, not a entertainment tool.

Edited by deema, 08 July 2013 - 01:48 AM.

#35 bhast2

bhast2

Hi I'm Win8

• 633 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

POPULAR

I haven't posted here in awhile
SO here it goes
This is an ok thing at best.
I don't want superhero girls or hot girls on my desktop as I have three kids and they don't need to see stuff like that.
In fact I don't want that plastered on my desktop.
I prefer elegant looking stuff
so get rid of the chics and add something better for images because we are not all 13 year old boys.
That being said you seem full of yourself at times
not to be rude
but you think you program is the best. Well no program is better than the other it depends on people's needs and that is what makes a program good.

but anywho
And I know you are going to flame back or be rude back or just tell me to F off but whatever

#36 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

Might i suggest that you make a preinstalled desktop that runs after the installer. Maybe even 2 choices, cartoon style and something more 'pro' (work office?)

in the works

Edited by deema, 27 March 2012 - 04:03 AM.

#37 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

This is the script command to have triggers fade in and out or just alter transparency.

splinter settrans ID VAL TIME

ID is the trigger's nu,bner,, that can always be seen in the top left of dialog box, even when you change its name in the trigger tip section.

VAL is anything from 0 to 100, with being fully opaque and completely jin alpha

TIME is time in milliseconds to perform the action. Experiment is all I can say.

This is an APNG
. To use it within Splinter a s a trigger, simply right click any trigger, go to properties, and click the appearance tab. Change the image to this and set the frame rate how you see fit.
Posted Image

This apng runs smoothly, in Splinterrifical

Edited by deema, 29 March 2012 - 03:20 AM.

#38 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

PNG OPTIMIZER. YOU SHOULD USE THIS for IMAGES BEFORE YOU USE THEM INSIDE SPLINTER, AS IT WILL SHAVE , GENERALLY, 30-50% OR SO OFF THE SIZE OF THE IMAGE. DO NOT USE WITH APNGS. (no real need unless you are building a large splinterface)

This is not my appp but it is a free redistributable and it is a very good app. All instructions are in the zip file.

Attached Files

Edited by deema, 25 March 2012 - 01:36 AM.

#39 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:07 AM

CTRL+SHFT+A will show and hide the "trigger tips". This is an ability designed for "games", so as not to be able to tell what the hotlinked filename is

Edited by deema, 29 March 2012 - 03:23 AM.

#40 deema

deema

Splavage

• 254 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

"page flipping" (wallpaper changing) shortcut. ALT+MW (mouse wheel)

Edited by deema, 29 March 2012 - 03:22 AM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!