Funny Anti-Piracy Protection System in Serious Sam 3

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Chrominator

Chrominator

Active WinMatrixian

• 645 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

Everybody hates DRM because genuine gamers suffer because of anti-piracy protection system, where as pirates play the game without any problem.

Cheers to Croteam for introducing a new hilarious DRM which actually breaks the game for pirates and doesn't annoy the genuine gamers.

If you crack Serious Sam 3's DRM to play without paying, you'll find a surprise encounter. A fast-moving invincible scorpion will spawn and make you regret your thieving ways.

#2 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 792 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

Source ?

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

GTA 4 for the PC also had something like this. You'd get a permanent drunken cam if you ran a cracked copy of the game.

of course, crackers found their way around it.

#4 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

Batman: Arkham City had something like this also. When you needed to glide at a critical point in the game the game would not let you glide, but flap, making it so that you never reached the end destination, thereby never completing the game.

Also, LOL @ Pirates. Thats what you get for being cheap dicks. Just by the damned game.

#5 Mellexx

Mellexx

StanceWorks Addicted

• 327 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

Also, LOL @ Pirates. Thats what you get for being cheap dicks. Just by the damned game.

Some can't afford to spend 60$ on a new damn game every 2 months...or a REAL try before you buy anyone?

Edited by Mellexx, 17 December 2011 - 05:18 PM.

#6 maac

maac

Mr Smiley

• 260 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

Are you serious? :blink:

#7 Guyver01

Guyver01

New WinMatrixian

• 49 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

What happens when you use a trainer to have infinity life???

iMortal Combat xD

#8 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:45 PM

Some can't afford to spend 60$ on a new damn game every 2 months..

So? Video games aren't a right. Learn to budget your money or get a job to pay for your video games.

#9 Mellexx

Mellexx

StanceWorks Addicted

• 327 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

So? Video games aren't a right. Learn to budget your money or get a job to pay for your video games.

I never said they were, I buy games for my ps3 whenever I can. I'm not condoning it, it's just a major reason why some do it but that's a different story.

#10 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:45 AM

Some can't afford to spend 60$ on a new damn game every 2 months...or a REAL try before you buy anyone?

Also...

Are you serious? :blink:

Best answered with this...

Decide to buy only three games a year. Pick and choose. Or even better yet, if your a working person, BUDGET. If your an adolescent, ask for an allowance. Deliver newspapers. That "Games cost to much so I pirate" is shit. It's a FUCKING COP OUT. Your a scumbag peice of SHIT for pirating.

Imagine you put a ton of work in to an app, or whatever, and as soon as it hits the market, some one removes the protection, and you lose THOUSANDS of dollars, or Hundreds of Thousands, that should be yours... But because one guy decided to pirate it, your fucked.

And I say this NOT as a Moderator, but as some one that KNOWS the DIFFERENCE between RIGHT and WRONG. And if you pirate, then your parents never taught your correctly, and Them, and You, should be beaten with a horse whip, publicly.

#11 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 991 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:55 AM

Some do it on principle

#12 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,392 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

Serious Sam 3 is killing the pirates! :lol:

#13 Jo-Mamma

Jo-Mamma

WinMatrixian

• 87 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

POPULAR

And I say this NOT as a Moderator, but as some one that KNOWS the DIFFERENCE between RIGHT and WRONG. And if you pirate, then your parents never taught your correctly, and Them, and You, should be beaten with a horse whip, publicly.

Your the sorriest excuse for a "role model" I have met in awhile.

Do yourself a favor, when preaching right from wrong, don't be a hypocrite and contradict the very lesson you preach. You have zero authority or judgment, and condoning a violent act or punishment like that is WRONG in so many levels. Frankly, it reminds me of a scene straight out of that Passion of the Christ movie.

It's software piracy, get over it. I'd rather have people steal my "app" I created then break into my home and steal my physical possessions or my vehicle and put me through that traumatic and sometimes life-threatening scenario. Besides, statistically for every copy pirated, a greater number legitimately purchased a license. Does that make it right to pirate though? No, but it doesn't give you or anyone the right to threaten people with violent acts of hatred because you disagree - especially when your not even directly effected by someone "downloading" a video game.

I have yet to see a company go out of business because people stole it's software versus buying it. Sure, platforms such as the PSP and PC have suffered due to piracy, but what did these platforms do to prevent piracy and push or encourage people to pirate versus buying? In the PC's case to name one simple reason, causing headaches for legitimate buyers, pushing people to seek "pirated" work around's or pushing people to consoles. Furthermore, what encourages piracy all the more is companies like EA, pull vicious, greedy stunts like the "battle code" practice on legitimate customers. "You bought this game second hand, so now you have to pay an additional $10 to even play the full experience".

People pirate for all sorts of reasons. A large number of them do so because they were the honest guy that got troubled or even screwed over so said to hell with it. Others pirate games to try them out, then later on buy the full copy (face the facts, pirated games do not have multiplayer). Others simply cannot afford to buy games, sure games are not a given right, but why is it fair for some to be able to have enjoyment and others not to simply because our society has left them or their families to be unable to maintain a steady life-style. Since when was gaming only for the rich?

Long story short, I'm completely disgusted by your comment...

"Hey, I guess this eight year old stole a chocolate bar, let's tie him and his family up in a public venue and beat him to death with horse whips" - Your a jack ass. Report or ban me because I had the nerve to call you out on your wrong and you don't like it. Then we can dwell into the scene of dirty politics and authority.

#14 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

Your the sorriest excuse for a "role model" I have met in awhile.

Do yourself a favor, when preaching right from wrong, don't be a hypocrite and contradict the very lesson you preach. You have zero authority or judgment, and condoning a violent act or punishment like that is WRONG in so many levels. Frankly, it reminds me of a scene straight out of that Passion of the Christ movie.

It's software piracy, get over it. I'd rather have people steal my "app" I created then break into my home and steal my physical possessions or my vehicle and put me through that traumatic and sometimes life-threatening scenario. Besides, statistically for every copy pirated, a greater number legitimately purchased a license. Does that make it right to pirate though? No, but it doesn't give you or anyone the right to threaten people with violent acts of hatred because you disagree - especially when your not even directly effected by someone "downloading" a video game.

I have yet to see a company go out of business because people stole it's software versus buying it. Sure, platforms such as the PSP and PC have suffered due to piracy, but what did these platforms do to prevent piracy and push or encourage people to pirate versus buying? In the PC's case to name one simple reason, causing headaches for legitimate buyers, pushing people to seek "pirated" work around's or pushing people to consoles. Furthermore, what encourages piracy all the more is companies like EA, pull vicious, greedy stunts like the "battle code" practice on legitimate customers. "You bought this game second hand, so now you have to pay an additional $10 to even play the full experience".

People pirate for all sorts of reasons. A large number of them do so because they were the honest guy that got troubled or even screwed over so said to hell with it. Others pirate games to try them out, then later on buy the full copy (face the facts, pirated games do not have multiplayer). Others simply cannot afford to buy games, sure games are not a given right, but why is it fair for some to be able to have enjoyment and others not to simply because our society has left them or their families to be unable to maintain a steady life-style. Since when was gaming only for the rich?

Long story short, I'm completely disgusted by your comment...

"Hey, I guess this eight year old stole a chocolate bar, let's tie him and his family up in a public venue and beat him to death with horse whips" - Your a jack ass. Report or ban me because I had the nerve to call you out on your wrong and you don't like it. Then we can dwell into the scene of dirty politics and authority.

The big companies suffer loses that costs people there jobs, all because a pirate would not spend the money for a game. Imagine hundreds of pirates not paying.. thats about the same as walking up to a group of the developers, slapping them in the faces, and telling them "Great job on the game! Now because i am so fucking cheap I, and my fellow pirates, will cost you the house that you live in, your mortgae, and cause you to have to file for bankruptcy."

Yes, it IS like that. Simple formula. Not Paying = loss of revenue = jobs loss. All for the game that your to cheap to buy. Does one single person pirating hurt... well, yes and no. If ONLY one person pirates, then no, that $60 is not much, however, if Hundreds (if not more) pirate, congrats, you just cost some people there jobs.

How old are you anyway... with a user name like "Jo Mamma" your most likley a teen, or under. No, i wont ban you. You spoke your mind, and that is encouraged, but still, wrong is wrong. and you know that by pirating, it's wrong. One day your going to get caught. then you will serve years in jail, and most likley get ass-raped by those that deserve to be in there.. the killers, the rapists... and when they ask "why are you here", your going to say "I was to damned cheap to buy a game, and got caught". and they will laugh at you, and you will then know that your shit.

In fact i am willing to guess that you have never been to jail. and before you ask, I HAVE. PIRACY. Gets you jail time.

#15 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

People seem to have this idea that software, music, and movies cost nothing to make, and just magically appear on the creators HDD. When pirates wonder why DRM exists they can only thank themselves.
Now I won't support bat shit crazy measures like SOPA, but don't try and rationalize piracy.

Edited by InlineSkate, 20 December 2011 - 11:48 PM.

#16 Jo-Mamma

Jo-Mamma

WinMatrixian

• 87 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

The big companies suffer loses that costs people there jobs, all because a pirate would not spend the money for a game. Imagine hundreds of pirates not paying.. thats about the same as walking up to a group of the developers, slapping them in the faces, and telling them "Great job on the game! Now because i am so fucking cheap I, and my fellow pirates, will cost you the house that you live in, your mortgae, and cause you to have to file for bankruptcy."

Yes, it IS like that. Simple formula. Not Paying = loss of revenue = jobs loss. All for the game that your to cheap to buy. Does one single person pirating hurt... well, yes and no. If ONLY one person pirates, then no, that $60 is not much, however, if Hundreds (if not more) pirate, congrats, you just cost some people there jobs.

How old are you anyway... with a user name like "Jo Mamma" your most likley a teen, or under. No, i wont ban you. You spoke your mind, and that is encouraged, but still, wrong is wrong. and you know that by pirating, it's wrong. One day your going to get caught. then you will serve years in jail, and most likley get ass-raped by those that deserve to be in there.. the killers, the rapists... and when they ask "why are you here", your going to say "I was to damned cheap to buy a game, and got caught". and they will laugh at you, and you will then know that your shit.

In fact i am willing to guess that you have never been to jail. and before you ask, I HAVE. PIRACY. Gets you jail time.

Seriously, all your facts are incorrect, and lack the concept of realistically looking at the picture for what it is...

In a small business, your math is all correct, theoretically. But there is absolutely zero documented records of any game developer laying people off because they lost so much revenue off piracy. This would be something that would have huge media coverage. Additionally, statistics contradict your arguments entirely. They made six billion dollars off MW3 recently within 24 hours of release, I'm sure they made over five times atleast what they put into it excluding the 30,000+ people that pirated it to only be limited to playing the campaign (who ONLY plays single player?). That's just one example, never mind the additional millions of dollars made in pre-orders as well. The gaming industry is one of the biggest around, more so then movies and music combined. So trust me, no company has faced bankruptcy and loss of jobs, unless the game(s) flat out sucks *Cough* Duke Nukem *Cough*. If anything, newer jobs are created, as the demands for newer DRM and other preventive solutions are needed.

Besides, if a company figured any platform was too high risk to develop for, they simply wouldn't, IE why games are for PC/XBOX/PS/Wii generally, and why UBI Soft announced to not release a PC title for some new major title(s). Companies do have a marketing staff and annalists to make sure every investment is a smart one you know....

Additionally, I stated I don't condone piracy and it is wrong, you assuming I pirate is just plain ignorant. I jumped on-board and argued your exaggerated impact piracy has and offensive "punishment" comments. Now your just loosely attacking me personally while trying to color within the lines. If you must know, I'm 25, married, two kids, wanna crack some "shouldn't you be working instead of using 'da interwebz'" comments? Any less wouldn't be expected. The username, perfectly acceptable, didn't know I needed to check out my sense of humor to be taken seriously. Bloody Troll's have you lot that edgy and sensitive?

Furthermore on your jail comments, not one single person has been sued or in trial for being caught downloading a video game off bittorrent. Service suspension letters have been served by ISP's, websites or services involved in any shape or form of the piracy process are also served letters, taken down and sometimes sued. Are the average joe's? No. No company is stupid enough try. The Sony vs Geohot scenario would be the first remote case of anything like it happening, but his scenario falls under breaching a platforms security and being a distributor to tools to piracy. Not an avg joe by any means.

I can name a lot bigger problems with the world than software pirates, when people loose jobs, and have to claim bankruptcy. One being the very people we empower, governments...

#17 Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP

• 529 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:58 AM

POPULAR

We should think about the other side as well. It might cause people to try a pirated copy of this game to have fun in fighting with the invincible scorpion. :D

#18 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 991 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

We should think about the other side as well. It might cause people to try a pirated copy of this game to have fun in fighting with the invincible scorpion. :D

That's a good point, they should consider having a pirate option in the game, for people who bought it to try to fight him

#19 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:30 AM

Seriously, all your facts are incorrect, and lack the concept of realistically looking at the picture for what it is...

In a small business, your math is all correct, theoretically. But there is absolutely zero documented records of any game developer laying people off because they lost so much revenue off piracy. This would be something that would have huge media coverage. Additionally, statistics contradict your arguments entirely. They made six billion dollars off MW3 recently within 24 hours of release, I'm sure they made over five times atleast what they put into it excluding the 30,000+ people that pirated it to only be limited to playing the campaign (who ONLY plays single player?). That's just one example, never mind the additional millions of dollars made in pre-orders as well. The gaming industry is one of the biggest around, more so then movies and music combined. So trust me, no company has faced bankruptcy and loss of jobs, unless the game(s) flat out sucks *Cough* Duke Nukem *Cough*. If anything, newer jobs are created, as the demands for newer DRM and other preventive solutions are needed.

Besides, if a company figured any platform was too high risk to develop for, they simply wouldn't, IE why games are for PC/XBOX/PS/Wii generally, and why UBI Soft announced to not release a PC title for some new major title(s). Companies do have a marketing staff and annalists to make sure every investment is a smart one you know....

Additionally, I stated I don't condone piracy and it is wrong, you assuming I pirate is just plain ignorant. I jumped on-board and argued your exaggerated impact piracy has and offensive "punishment" comments. Now your just loosely attacking me personally while trying to color within the lines. If you must know, I'm 25, married, two kids, wanna crack some "shouldn't you be working instead of using 'da interwebz'" comments? Any less wouldn't be expected. The username, perfectly acceptable, didn't know I needed to check out my sense of humor to be taken seriously. Bloody Troll's have you lot that edgy and sensitive?

Furthermore on your jail comments, not one single person has been sued or in trial for being caught downloading a video game off bittorrent. Service suspension letters have been served by ISP's, websites or services involved in any shape or form of the piracy process are also served letters, taken down and sometimes sued. Are the average joe's? No. No company is stupid enough try. The Sony vs Geohot scenario would be the first remote case of anything like it happening, but his scenario falls under breaching a platforms security and being a distributor to tools to piracy. Not an avg joe by any means.

I can name a lot bigger problems with the world than software pirates, when people loose jobs, and have to claim bankruptcy. One being the very people we empower, governments...

Ok then lets put it in stark Black and White, no Greys, Ands, Ifs or Buts.
Is It Wrong to Steal?

thats the final, end point. If Anyone say that it is NOT wrong to steal, in this Wright or Wrong, Black or Write only comparison, then they have something morally wrong with them. Thats what i was saying. Stealing = wrong. You steal the game, you get an invincible scorpion thing killing you in this game. I personally find it great thet the dev's put that in there.

#20 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:31 AM

People seem to have this idea that software, music, and movies cost nothing to make, and just magically appear on the creators HDD. When pirates wonder why DRM exists they can only thank themselves.
Now I won't support bat shit crazy measures like SOPA, but don't try and rationalize piracy.

There. THIS ^^ Inline got what I was trying to say.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!