• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy

Wendy

WinMatrixian

• 53 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:56 AM

Posted Image

Mozilla has recently launched Firefox 8 Beta 5, the latest version of Firefox beta is now currently available for testing on Windows, Mac, Linux and Android. The latest version adds following features: Add-ons installed by third party programs are now disabled by default; Added a one-time add-on selection dialog to manage previously installed add-ons; Added Twitter to the search bar; Added a preference to load tabs on demand, improving start-up time when windows are restored; Improved tab animations when moving, reordering, or detaching tabs; Improved performance and memory handling when using <audio> and <video> elements; Added CORS support for cross-domain textures in WebGL; Added support for HTML5 context menus; Added support for insertAdjacentHTML; Improved CSS hyphen support for many languages; Improved WebSocket support and Fixed several stability issues.

With the memory hole plugged, Firefox 8 Beta sees attention turn back again to implementing new features and tweaking the user interface. This is apparent from the moment you first upgrade to version 8 – a new Add-Ons compatibility assistant launches disabling incompatible add-ons and giving you the option to selectively disable others. Once complete, you won’t see this window again until the next time Firefox updates.

According to the blog post and release notes, the following new features has been added in Firefox 8 Beta 1: Twitter Search: Firefox Beta adds Twitter as a default search option to make searching #hashtags and @usernames easier. (Currently available in English, Portuguese and Slovenian. More languages will be added in future releases.) Restore tabs on demand: Users can choose to load tabs only when selected, resulting in faster start-up times when windows with lots of tabs are restored. Windows users can find this option in the Firefox Menu, under Options, on the General tab. Mac users can find this option in the Firefox Menu, under Preferences, in the General tab.

Download Firefox 8 Beta 5

#2 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:51 AM

they removed the tab re-arranging and tab tearing animations in this beta :(

#3 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:08 AM

Tab tearing broke the feature where you could put a website on the bookmark toolbar by dragging the tab.

#4 pataoengineer

pataoengineer

@pataoengineer

• 1,155 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:06 AM

I've become a Firefox betas fanboy already.

I keep using Firefox betas since FF6 beta til the current one. :)

#5 YeoMX

YeoMX

(formerly Yanike) L.ove O.ver V.iolence E.asy

• 255 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

Tab tearing broke the feature where you could put a website on the bookmark toolbar by dragging the tab.

Sometimes.

#6 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

I stopped feeling Firefo'x "speed" and "performance improvement" ever since I started using Chrome.

#7 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

Firefox 7 and 8 load slower than Firefox 6 on my 4 years old notebook. :|

#8 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

I tested it for an hour. It still doesn't perform as smooth as Opera when you open more than 10 tabs.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!