Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Download Windows 8 Build 8102 M3 (Developer Preview)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

There is a timebomb. Windows 8 M3 expires on March 11th, 2012.

Attached File  Untitled.png   32.47K   23 downloads

As for driver issues, my sound card's advanced options app won't run, and I got an error when installing trackpad drivers (they got activated properly, though).

But yeah, I'm not a fan of Metro. I can't even figure out how to exit out of Metro apps without using the Task Manager.

Edited by pm_41, 14 September 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#42 zygote

zygote

WinMatrixian

• 70 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:40 PM

OK I finally managed to create a bootable USB and install it onto my Win 7 tablet/slate/woteva.
I did a clean install as Win 7 was basically useless on that form factor anyway.
I also had the opportunity to play with Win 8 on a mate's desktop.

Here's what I found:
Firstly, this build at least, is much better suited to a touch device. There were things that were unable to be accessed on desktop that were easy on the tab. Most notably the black bar on the right hand side of the screen. Actually anything in the apps that requires swiping in from the side of the screen - such as in app options - is accessible on the tab but we couldn't get it happening on the desktop.

I have found it to be very responsive on both desktop and tab, it's certainly a nippy little system.

I agree with the complaints that the power options need to be more immediately available rather than having to log off then swipe up to get to them. However, once again on the tab these can be accessed by going to settings on the side bar. That's still too many steps though, these controls should sit on the start screen somewhere.

We found another annoyance on the ndesktop when trying to burn a DVD. The "Burn Disc" option is hidden under "Share" in the new Windows Explorer. I suppose this makes sense in a certain way but it's not as intuitive as having that option appear. It's such a common task, you shouldn't have to hunt for it.

There's a heap of other problems we found that were less significant.

Just a reminder though that this is merely the developer's preview. I suspect that a lot of these issues will be addressed by the time we get to the Beta and certainly by the final release. We've gotta do our bit though and let Microsoft know what we're not happy with, just bitching about it here is ineffectual.

EDIT:
Since writing this I have found out about the keyboard shortcuts that bring most of the functionality of the touch experience to the desktop. This doesn't change the fact that it is still a better experience using touch over traditional but I thought I should acknowledge that. Hopefully this situation will be remedied in future releases as keyboard shortcuts aren't really handy for the average user.

Edited by zygote, 15 September 2011 - 04:14 AM.

#43 Mellexx

Mellexx

StanceWorks Addicted

• 329 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

I know it's still really early on in the span of builds, and it is a developer preview but from all the info around and what there is in this build it just leaves me with the feeling of meh. I was expecting MS to do something innovative but I really don't see anything at this point compared to what longhorn was supposed to be. I sure hope they're just waiting to release some more the things they claimed were coming.

#44 eskieman

eskieman

WinMatrixian

• 99 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:20 AM

I'm getting a terrible speed (sept. 14 10pm est). i really want to try it out but its kinda hard at ridiculous download speeds dont help

#45 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:25 AM

I dunno, I've been using the WDP for the past few hours, and I'm liking what I see. The new start menu is certainly a little bit jarring at first, but the new boot menu, and especially the multi-monitor support is just great. I might just use this as my main OS for a while.

#46 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:43 AM

can't find reboot button... WHERE???? Just only logoff and lock (((

ITS SUCKS... because you have to logoff, then press the power icon in the bottom right to shut down.

Windows 8 is like a bad console port for PC, only this case is a bad tablet port for PC.

Move mouse to the bottom left of the screen, click Settings, click the power button: Restart

#47 pataoengineer

pataoengineer

@pataoengineer

• 1,155 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:15 AM

I wanna get the slides from the conference.

Anybody knows how to fetch them?

#48 GTReventon

GTReventon

Unparalleled

• 75 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hmmm...

I tried to reinstall WindowsDP on my Computer (Not VM). It keeps on giving me 0x80070570 Error and I couldn't install it. I was able to install it last week but now I can't. Any Resolutions to this error? :huh:

#49 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:16 PM

I should've posted in an existing thread, like this one... Can you help me out pls., how to burn (fit) 8 - the 64 bit - on a DVD?!

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32762

#50 Guest_blah_*

Guest_blah_*

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

can't find reboot button... WHERE???? Just only logoff and lock (((

ITS SUCKS... because you have to logoff, then press the power icon in the bottom right to shut down.

Windows 8 is like a bad console port for PC, only this case is a bad tablet port for PC.

Move mouse to the bottom left of the screen, click Settings, click the power button: Restart

Actually, you can shut it down without having to log off. Go to the desktop, then enter Alt+F4 and the shutdown menu comes up, just as it has with all windows releases back to win 95

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!