Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Download Windows 8 Build 8102 M3 (Developer Preview)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:14 AM

Installing now... can't wait. :)

#22 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:23 AM

Is it working ok in virtual machines?

#23 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:29 AM

Ok, installing to VMWae failed, and the install is stuck on Vitual Box. :(

#24 Josh007CL

Josh007CL

WinMatrixian

• 72 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:34 AM

Yeah I tried in VMWare and failed too.

#25 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:36 AM

Ok, installing to VMWae failed, and the install is stuck on Vitual Box. :(

Try in Microsoft Virtual PC. :whistle:

#26 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:10 AM

Virtual Box is running it! :D

BTW, I haz wallpapers! Who wants them? :whistle:

Ok, first dislike: Metro on the desktop, Microsoft this sucks. Really. If I want to go to my desktop, I need access to a classic start menu.

Edited by Frylock86, 14 September 2011 - 03:24 AM.

#27 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:45 AM

Ok, first dislike: Metro on the desktop, Microsoft this sucks. Really. If I want to go to my desktop, I need access to a classic start menu.

Can you confirm whether or not ATI drivers are working? I'd love to use it as my main OS (I used Windows 7 as my main from PDC leak onward).

#28 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:47 AM

Can you confirm whether or not ATI drivers are working? I'd love to use it as my main OS (I used Windows 7 as my main from PDC leak onward).

I cannot. I have it running inside a VM. If I were you, I'd wait. So far, the UX has been less than stellar. The Metro UI sucks for desktop use, and the build is rather unstable. So far there is no way to use the classic desktop without having to go through the Metro UI. Even running the desktop, you're forced into metro more times than not. There just is no way around not using the Metro UI right now.

Also, just as I feared the with the new Explorer UI, I find it highly clunky, and quite unattractive to look at and work with, compared with the Exporer in Windows 7.

Edited by Frylock86, 14 September 2011 - 03:53 AM.

#29 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:49 AM

I cannot. I have it running inside a VM. If I were you, I'd wait. So far, the UX has been less than stellar. The Metro UI sucks for desktop use, and the build is rather unstable.

Is it really? I've heard the opposite from most places, but I guess that means I'll have to test it beforehand.

#30 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:11 AM

I cannot. I have it running inside a VM. If I were you, I'd wait. So far, the UX has been less than stellar. The Metro UI sucks for desktop use, and the build is rather unstable.

Is it really? I've heard the opposite from most places, but I guess that means I'll have to test it beforehand.

Yeah, it's pretty clearly an early build, and there are ALOT of things that need fixed yet. I'm pretty mad that I can't stay in the classic desktop without being forced into the Metro UI. If you like endless scrollbars, you're in luck otherwise, this build should be avoided as a primary OS.

BTW - for those interested, I present to you Windows 8 wallpapers: http://gatefan.devia...t.com/#/d49skew

#31 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:04 AM

I completely agree with this. The UI is okay but running on a desktop, I really need quick access to all the running tasks without having to swipe 5 times on the left. I could go to the "Desktop" but basically if you don't have an icon for the app on the desktop, you're gonna have to go through Metro to start it.

Needs a lot of work to have both running in harmony.

Dunno about ATI but my laptop has a nVidia 9800M GTS. As soon as I was done downloading the latest driver setup, Windows installed the drivers without asking. It was probably downloading it in the background or something but I didn't notice any speed decrease. Whatever it was, I like that I didn't have to go through even a single restart OR a prompt to install a display driver.

It installed, showed up everywhere it usually does (desktop right click menu, control panel etc) without even executing the setup file.

PS: Yes I'm dual booting, more like tri-booting with hackintosh and Win 7.

It will replace your bootloader, I wouldn't call the Win 8 bootloader nice but it has Metro UI and it detected Windows 7 right after the setup.

Edited by Afzal, 14 September 2011 - 07:07 AM.

#32 Shinde

Shinde

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,521 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

Installed to test Metro, found out that the UI is good for touch screen only.

#33 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hey guys, look! I made Windows 8 pretty again! :D

Attached File  Pretty.PNG   125.97K   47 downloads

#34 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

@Frylock86 LOL, you made it Windows 7 again! (Y) :lol:

#35 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

Does anyone know of a way to get the Windows 8 AERO theme running on Windows 7?

#36 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

Vmware and Virtual PC failed. Virtual Box works, but you cant install guest addins, which activates hardware acceleration. So its really heavy to use Windows 8 when there is lots of animations going on.

And for my experience so far, i dont like Windows 8 Metro UI. Its ugly, its by far too much developed for tablets, which makes PC usage very unwieldy and hard. I feel very handicapped when trying to press the Startmenu button and everything i try to reach by daily use is gone and replaced by this Metro UI, where i cant find anything but just a second desktop. Everything i try to reach is kind of hidden from me. The only things you can reach from the regular Windows desktop is Explorer, IE and Recycle bin, plus the regular right click menu stuff.

I like that you sign in with your Windows LIVE ID.

But i REALLY HATE WINDOWS 8 THIS FAR FOR SURE.

#37 venom2305

venom2305

New WinMatrixian

• 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

can't find reboot button... WHERE???? Just only logoff and lock (((

#38 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

can't find reboot button... WHERE???? Just only logoff and lock (((

ITS SUCKS... because you have to logoff, then press the power icon in the bottom right to shut down.

Windows 8 is like a bad console port for PC, only this case is a bad tablet port for PC.

#39 spv36

spv36

Xoom

• 88 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

Steven Sinofsky: Windows 8 developer preview will not need activated. Just download and install!

I'll keep it forever then.

same here..

#40 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

I'm downloading the 64-bit version with tools and all that stuff. I'll install it on my laptop, see how well it runs, make some screenshots, steal all wallpapers and icons, test compatibility with a few programs...

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!