Apple Now Has More Cash Than The U.S. Government

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 club90

club90

Active WinMatrixian

• 340 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:36 PM

You know, most part, about 96%,of US dollars are not backed by gold or any value. So basically Apple now own a huge load of WASTEPAPER. What an irony... I'm watching the dusk of capitalism.

It'd be better fof US government ro nationalize Apple right now.

Actually, none of the US currency is backed by anything. It's called a fiat money (or flat currency). All money in the world is now based off of nothing.

Just pennies in the bucket for Microsoft. I have no doubt that MS is worth more than Apple.

yeah, it has just dawned on me that all this might just be (yet another) a PR stunt by Apple and the related press.

Apple says "Hey look! We are finally making money and are profitable! .. Just to bad it's with gadgets, and not with what used to be our flagship product, you know, The Computer and the OS?... Remember those? No? Well dont worry... we dont either... We will keep on making more gadgets and put the letter 'i' in front of it, as if it's still the 1990's!"

Apple is very profitable with their computer line and with their gadget line... Although I'm not quite sure what you're getting at since the entire post reeks of stupid PC fanboyism.

I am talking about how the money from the Gadget line is whats keeping Apple profitable, and even supporting OSX and Computer development. Sorry if my sarcasm wasnt strait enough for you, so let me try again...

The Apple to PC market (Computer only, no iOS devices, etc..) is what? Almost and Virtually Nothing, thats what. Apple had to find a new niche to become successful.
Do a mental comparison, how many Mac VS Windows people do you know? I know myself 42 people that have PCs, and all but three are Windows users. Of those three, Two are Mac people. You will ALWAYS know more Windows users because people buy Windows machines more often that Apple computers. It is a dedicated, proven, hard-coded fact. Apple had to, in effect, take it's OSX and Computer line, and took most likley 1/2 of them, and re-assigned them on to gadgets. And thats how Apple is staying in the black, it's the iOS devices.

Of the 42 PC users i know, almost 1/2 have an iPhone. Because thats how Apple is making money, cell phones and gadgets, not in REAL Computers.

So true. The only people I know that got a Mac is my school.

#22 YeoMX

YeoMX

(formerly Yanike) L.ove O.ver V.iolence E.asy

• 255 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:52 AM

You know, most part, about 96%,of US dollars are not backed by gold or any value. So basically Apple now own a huge load of WASTEPAPER. What an irony... I'm watching the dusk of capitalism.

It'd be better fof US government ro nationalize Apple right now.

Actually, none of the US currency is backed by anything. It's called a fiat money (or flat currency). All money in the world is now based off of nothing.

Just pennies in the bucket for Microsoft. I have no doubt that MS is worth more than Apple.

yeah, it has just dawned on me that all this might just be (yet another) a PR stunt by Apple and the related press.

Apple says "Hey look! We are finally making money and are profitable! .. Just to bad it's with gadgets, and not with what used to be our flagship product, you know, The Computer and the OS?... Remember those? No? Well dont worry... we dont either... We will keep on making more gadgets and put the letter 'i' in front of it, as if it's still the 1990's!"

Apple is very profitable with their computer line and with their gadget line... Although I'm not quite sure what you're getting at since the entire post reeks of stupid PC fanboyism.

I am talking about how the money from the Gadget line is whats keeping Apple profitable, and even supporting OSX and Computer development. Sorry if my sarcasm wasnt strait enough for you, so let me try again...

The Apple to PC market (Computer only, no iOS devices, etc..) is what? Almost and Virtually Nothing, thats what. Apple had to find a new niche to become successful.
Do a mental comparison, how many Mac VS Windows people do you know? I know myself 42 people that have PCs, and all but three are Windows users. Of those three, Two are Mac people. You will ALWAYS know more Windows users because people buy Windows machines more often that Apple computers. It is a dedicated, proven, hard-coded fact. Apple had to, in effect, take it's OSX and Computer line, and took most likley 1/2 of them, and re-assigned them on to gadgets. And thats how Apple is staying in the black, it's the iOS devices.

Of the 42 PC users i know, almost 1/2 have an iPhone. Because thats how Apple is making money, cell phones and gadgets, not in REAL Computers.

I completely disagree. Not trying to start a flame, but that is so a PC hardcore comment.

Apple kicks ass at what they do and they make great profits from all devices. The PC is no longer a device that stands alone anymore. It's just another device. People use their mobiles more than their desktops now.

You can't say Apple doesn't make money from Real computers, because some people only buy tablets and smartphones as their only device now. Also, Apple has been making great money from their what you call Real computers for years now. I know a lot of people that have and use their Apple products over their non-Apple products.

The world has changed and it is no longer a PC world. Welcome to the Post-PC era.

Edited by YeoMX, 31 July 2011 - 12:55 AM.

#23 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:17 AM

lol @ Villain's argument

Apple had to find a new niche to become successful.

yes they had to, and that is exactly what they did, and they're successful. I see nothing wrong with that?

I think it's pretty clear that apple has always, ALWAYS, made more money from gadgets as compared to their "real computer" line. Apple's popularity rose tremendously only after the introduction of the iPod, and then it became clear that it was their gadget hardware which sells really well.

That said, Apple still does make alot of money from their "real computer" line as well. They just make more from gadgets now. That's why they've gone from "Apple Computer, inc" to just "Apple, inc".

Also @YeoMX,

some people only buy tablets and smartphones as their only device now

i'd say most, the majority of people still own a PC first before getting a smartphone and tablet. I think all these gadgets still tend to be complimentary to our PC's/Macs. Smartphones and Tablets are just not 'Real Computers' - period (unless it's a Tablet PC).

Personally, I think the so-called "Post-PC" era is the Cloud Computing era.

Edited by FalseAgent, 31 July 2011 - 10:24 AM.

#24 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

If you meant what you said, it isn't sarcasm... While while their "gadget line" is profitable, their computer line is also profitable. If they didn't make money on it, they wouldn't keep spending money on developing their product line...

Your problem here is that you're comparing Mac OS X to Windows PC in total and you're not considering Apple to be a separate computer manufacturer. Instead, you're following the same PC fanboy stance of MS vs Apple and not Dell vs. HP vs. Sony vs. ASUS vs. MSI vs. Apple vs. ect. THOSE are Apple's competitors.

What are you basing any of this on? That you simply know more PC owners than Apple owners?

How about you examine some facts before typing up some more ignorance?

I will start you off:

http://www.macrumors...eaking-q3-2011/

Posted Image

Q: Mac growth was 5% sequential, notebook sequential was below that. Past few years have been 17-18%. Was this quarter cannibalization? Anticipation of Lion?
A: Tim: Look at YoY than sequential on the Mac. Prouder of the numbers that we achieved -- to grow at 14% when the market is growing at 2.6%, doing 5x the rate of growth, is certainly something to be proud of. Why is the number not higher than 14%? No matter how high it is we would focus on that.

Three things that are the primary factors: First, some cannibalization of new Macs by iPads. Shipped 9.2m iPads during the quarter, 2x the number of Macs shipped. Some customers chose to purchase an iPad instead of a new Mac. But more customers chose to buy an iPad than a Windows PC.

Second, some customers have delayed purchases until Lion becomes available. We are looking forward to getting Lion out. Guys working very hard on it, it's a fantastic product. Revolutionary change.

Third, in the year-ago quarter, we launched new MacBook Pros. In this quarter, we launched new iMacs. Both products were well received, however the MBP makes up the majority of the units that we sell in the Mac segment.

If you change the MBP and its well received, it's going to make the YoY comp more difficult to compare to. Those are the three things impacting Mac growth, but it's already 5x the industry and this is the 21st consecutive quarter that we've beat the market.

If Apple isn't profitable with their computer line, then why do they stomp all over the competition in terms of growth? Their Mac line grew 14% this past quarter when the market (the rest of the PC manufacturers) averaged 2.6%. Why do their MBP line make up the majority of the units they sell in their Mac segment if it is not profitable?

How about this?

http://www.macrumors...ith-10-7-share/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Asides from Toshiba, why is it that Apple is the only one to actually grow from the previous year while the rest of them are tumbling?

Of course their iPhone line is very profitable. I never said it wasn't. You're the one who is speaking out his arse. They are clearly making money off of "real" computers.

Now I await your retort of "BUT THERE ARE MOAR WINDOWZ PCS THEN MACS! SO THAT MEANS APPLE MAKES NO MOENY OFF OF COMPUTERS!!!111"

Now, I suppose you'll tell me that Apple doesn't make money off their iPhone line since Android has a greater marketshare...

Edited by The Flashing Fish, 31 July 2011 - 06:45 PM.

#25 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

Regarding the fiat money...

Well duh. Paper money isn't backed by gold or anything (that's the 19th century people.) And Apple doesn't have a basement where they store all their fiat money. Profit's used to make more iStuff, and to make more iBuildings that makes more iStuff. Now it's true that when the US government declares all bills to be worthless, Apple's profits will be worthless, but usually they had already spent these for infrastructures, to pay each and every employee, or to purchase dark fibers. Besides, declaring money to be worthless would just be apocryphal to US, with many many business dependent on this M1 type of money.

#26 Tataarujin

Tataarujin

Fight to the end. Be in the shadows.

• 422 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

Guys... Tell me, DO YOU HAVE ANY MORAL VALUES, or only thing you think about are MONEY VALUES?!

#27 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

America was taken off of the gold standard under Nixon. That would be about 40 years ago.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!