• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

Windows 8 will feature a new UI similar to the tile-based (Metro) interface of Windows Phone 7 and this will all be touch enabled (see the video here).

With the new UI, Windows 8 will focus on two types of apps:

• Classic Windows desktop apps- they will run and look similar to Win 7 today. They will open from the Start screen into familiar Win 7.
  • HTML5/Javascript apps – they will look more like mobile apps and will run in a different experience than classic Windows apps. This includes IE10. This new style of app will be able to access everything new in Windows 8.

brcjF.png
Screenshot of Classic Windows app and HTML5 app running side by side.

The concept of HTML 5 application is these be like mobile apps and will run in a different experience than classic Windows applications additionally HTML 5 applications will have access to a number of new features in Windows 8 and both type native windows and HTML 5 applications can run side by side.

Microsoft UK Faculty Connection

#2 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

Not trolling (on purpose) but..
Ah HTML. For those that refuse to learn a real programming language.

No J/K. Seriously, HTML5 can do some serious shit. I am glad that you can take HTML5 and make wonder widgets and such with it.

#3 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

Not trolling (on purpose) but..
Ah HTML. For those that refuse to learn a real programming language.

No J/K. Seriously, HTML5 can do some serious shit. I am glad that you can take HTML5 and make wonder widgets and such with it.

Lol. I was fixing to say. Don't be dissing us web developers. I can create a webapp that works just like a desktop app.

#4 CAS91572

CAS91572

Active WinMatrixian

• 640 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:57 PM

So In other words it will have a desktop and a webtop. interesting.

#5 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

Microsoft is definitely preparing for transition, which I like. Webapps is the future.

#6 P.McGinley

P.McGinley

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,086 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:22 AM

How is HTML5 different than HTML? I know some HTML. Can I make simple apps?

#7 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:13 AM

How is HTML5 different than HTML? I know some HTML. Can I make simple apps?

HTML5 is HTML the same as PHP5 is PHP. Just a different version.

#8 pataoengineer

pataoengineer

@pataoengineer

• 1,155 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:38 AM

With the power of HTML5 combining with jQuery. We got those amazing apps out there.

#9 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

webapps and connected apps = the future!

#10 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,438 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

It means IE10 is an HTML5 app? I can't believe that.

#11 ayoshi

ayoshi

Active WinMatrixian

• 722 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

Any recommended tutorial for HTML5 that can you share guy? I want to learn HTML5 too. thanks :rolleyes:

#12 Sheejesh Sree V

Sheejesh Sree V

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

I found this Metro Dynamis, is great to develop these new Windows 8 style applications. Check it out at http://metrodynamis.com

#13 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

@tank6b can you give us some screenshots or more info?

#14 tank6b

tank6b

New WinMatrixian

• 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

@tank6b can you give us some screenshots or more info?

I'll be posting a screencast soon. Stay tunned at http://metrodynamis.com

#15 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:39 AM

Well, what is a web browser? If you break it down to its components, it's nothing more than a renderer and a window with a GUI.

So why can't it be an HTML5 app? The renderer won't be in HTML 5, but rather it will be the renderer of the buttons and everything.

Can you not make a webpage in HTML5 with back/forward buttons, an address bar a refresh page button with a window with a webpage drawin in it? If you can do it (which you can), then you can absolutely have an HTML5 web browser.

#16 RUY

RUY

Active WinMatrixian

• 682 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:01 AM

I think there should be all web apps which can be cached for offline usage and fast loading so that we can test any app without worrying to get our pc sluggish.

#17 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:56 AM

Well, what is a web browser? If you break it down to its components, it's nothing more than a renderer and a window with a GUI.

So why can't it be an HTML5 app? The renderer won't be in HTML 5, but rather it will be the renderer of the buttons and everything.

Can you not make a webpage in HTML5 with back/forward buttons, an address bar a refresh page button with a window with a webpage drawin in it? If you can do it (which you can), then you can absolutely have an HTML5 web browser.

I had a html web browser in my splitter app. Anything is possible with the web now. You can have an entire OS built on the web if you want to. All an OS needs to be is an web browser and everything else a web app. That's why I switched to fully web apps.

#18 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

100% BS. I just read an article from OS News, and went back and saw the video there HTML5 and Js was mentioned. It's used for fetching information for the weather ap. and thats the only app. But, Ms does have it's own J# and JScript languages in .net that have been added in, so yes, Apps with HTML5 and such is in the furter, but it's not becoming the default way to make Windows apps.

Maybe the .Net dev's can stop running in the street saying the traditional development is dead... it isnt.

Not to downplay any language, but if it cant be compiled (nativly), then it's just a script, and not a real language.

#19 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

Seriously, read here.

http://www.osnews.co...mong_Developers

#20 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

So many programming languages, so little time.

Maybe it is time to kill off some of the more complicated ones, VB for example, way too complicated than it needs to be (Took nearly an hour to install VB2010 on my machine too).
HTML is a pretty powerful and easy to learn language that would make apps easy to develop. HTML5 and JavaScript could take that to a new level. It could work.

The thing of it is though, is that computing is shifting to lighter and faster, something which some of these *cough* Java *cough cough*, are not.
And even some of these (Win32) are quite antiquated as well. Win32 can do amazing things, but most Win32 is poorly coded, and buggy as all Hell. Most of that was fixed with the Trustworthy Computing Initiative, but even today, buggy Win32 crap still shows up on people's machines, causing headaches.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 8, html5