Windows Explorer Ribbon UI Revealed in Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:21 PM

When Microsoft introduced the Ribbon user interface as a replacement for the overgrown menus and toolbars in Microsoft Office 2007, many were shocked. The change was audacious for such a mature software product, and it completely blew away years of ingrained shortcuts and skills. But the Ribbon UI was also innovative, and useful, and it provided a way to make previously hidden functionality far more discoverable. It was so successful, in fact, that Microsoft began adding it to other products, including the Windows Live Essentials apps and, in Windows 7, both Paint and WordPad.In Windows 8, Ribbon usage is accelerating again, and Microsoft’s next major OS will include this UI in the most visible of all possible places, Windows Explorer. In early builds of Windows 8, this Ribbon UI is only half-finished and, frankly, of dubious value. In fact, based on the divergent ways in which various related UI elements are repeated around the window frame, we get the idea that the use of the Ribbon in Explorer is, in fact, quite controversial inside the halls of Microsoft's Redmond campus.

Posted Image

If Microsoft goes through with this change, the Ribbon will replace the menu and toolbar in today’s Explorer windows, and as in Office.

Posted Image

As with Office 2010, there are various dynamic Ribbon tabs that can appear as well, including Library Tools (when viewing Libraries), Picture Tools (when one or more image files are selected), and Disk Tools (in Computer view), among others.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can also hide the Ribbon, which might explain why a few view style choices are duplicated in the status bar. (Another theory is that these items are there to accommodate other UI types like Aero Lite–formerly called Aero Basic–and Immersive, the tiles-based UI that is based on the Windows Phone "Metro" look and feel.)

And as with other Ribbon UIs, Explorer’s Ribbon now sports a new File menu that, like the one in Office 2010, is pretty expansive.

Posted Image

In the current pre-release builds the Ribbon is a serious work in progress and is quite unattractive. However it does seem that there will at least be a toggle to disable this top-heavy UI. So if you don’t like the Ribbon in Windows Explorer, hopefully you’ll be able to turn it off.

Leaked screenshots from WithinWindows, Articled co-posted by Rafael Rivera and Paul Thurrott.

#2 Aleksandr

Aleksandr

WinMatrixian

• 222 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

That doesn't look very good. It makes the toolbar on the top of the explorer window seem bulky. I think they shouldn't even mess with the toolbar, but if they do, keep it in a Metro UI look instead of going with the Ribbon interface.

#3 DiTECH

DiTECH

WinMatrix

• 228 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:26 PM

i'm afraid that there will be no more leaks for windows 8, because Microsoft is doing a wide crackdown on all involved websites.

#4 _akier_

_akier_

Coming.

• 693 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:43 PM

its too bulky...

#5 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:46 PM

I'm sorry but this doesn't work for windows explorer. It take up too much space and it over complicating a UI that should be minimalist.

#6 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:48 PM

:o Microsoft must be late with their April joke...

#7 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:41 AM

I'm hoping this is just an experimental offshoot, because honestly it doesn't work.

#8 Aleksandr

Aleksandr

WinMatrixian

• 222 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:26 AM

I'm hoping this is just an experimental offshoot, because honestly it doesn't work.

Exactly. The toolbar should be an easy way to use things and should only include back + forward buttons, a couple of buttons to create folders or change views, and a search bar. What is the point of putting all these huge buttons for that people won't even use? With all those buttons on the Ribbon interface, they might as well get rid of the right-click feature.

#9 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:27 AM

Hm. I'm all for the Ribbon UI, but I'm not sure this works out. It's creating quite a clutter of screen space. I'll wait and see where this goes before I make a final call.

#10 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:45 AM

this is gonna suck sooo hard :angry:

#11 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:53 AM

Shit.

#12 maac

maac

Mr Smiley

• Validating
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

U must be trolling O____o

#13 LonghornGT

LonghornGT

Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

• 370 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

That crap gains too much vertical space. Do not want.

#14 lifehacker

lifehacker

New WinMatrixian

• 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

which build is it??

#15 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

Ewwwwwwww!

With this and Metro, I can see 7 being the next XP, no-one going to want to upgrade!

#16 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

It take up too much space and it over complicating a UI that should be minimalist.

My first thought.. Hopefully this can be disabled and not just visually, I mean disabled/uninstalled so that it doesn't take up ANY resources. (unlike the inter-connected Windows 7 Services)

#17 pataoengineer

pataoengineer

@pataoengineer

• 1,155 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:42 AM

Looks too much complicated. I agree.

#18 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:06 AM

Ewwwwwwww!

With this and Metro, I can see 7 being the next XP, no-one going to want to upgrade!

At least they'll be clinging on to a much better OS than XP.

#19 DJ Gx

DJ Gx

WinMatrixian

• 262 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

#20 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

Wow DJ Dx, that'd be pretty awesome.Posted Image

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!