• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:49 PM

A new leaked screenshot from Windows 8 Milestone 2 (M2) shows the upcoming "Restore to original factory settings" (System Reset) option. The image is courtesy of Chinese website Win7China (via TNW), which has been the genesis point for several other Windows 8 leaks you can find in the Windows 8 forum.

Posted Image

According to the description of the option, Windows 8 users will be able to "Remove all programs you've installed and restore default Windows settings. You can choose to keep user accounts and personal files." The entire System Reset process is rumored to take only a few minutes at most. You won't have to reinstall Windows if something goes terribly wrong. ;)

#2 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Finally... a built in solution.

Manufacturer built factory restores are prone to breaking.

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

genius! it's features like these that make windows still the unmatched desktop OS!

#4 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

I'll be resetting my Windows everytime I'll find a virus or install a bad driver or see a BSOD or notice a system slowdown or get bored of my life.. :lol:

#5 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:06 PM

genius! it's features like these that make windows still the unmatched desktop OS!

LOLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this coming feature makes Windows unmatched then Ubuntu already blows them out of the water.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

sudo reboot

Reinstalls the OS files and also keep your programs intact. You can use the same command to reinstall applications.

Nice feature for Windows though, not new, but nice feature. Windows makes it more user-friendly I give them that.

Edited by yanike, 25 March 2011 - 09:09 PM.

#6 club90

club90

Active WinMatrixian

• 340 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

True.
Who cares about Ubuntu?
its a difficult os for many people
and no one wants to put that code everytime
their computer goes wrong.

#7 Aleksandr

Aleksandr

WinMatrixian

• 222 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:00 AM

Although, it isn't a new feature as Yanike said, I still think it's pretty sweet that Microsoft will include it in their OS. It looks more user-friendly than the Ubuntu code variant, but that's only because as club90 said, majority of people don't understand how Ubuntu really works.

My only concern is: is this feature going to be on every edition of Windows 8? Or is it going to be like Windows 7 and Vista that only come with the higher-end editions like Professional and Ultimate.

#8 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:51 AM

Although, it isn't a new feature as Yanike said, I still think it's pretty sweet that Microsoft will include it in their OS. It looks more user-friendly than the Ubuntu code variant, but that's only because as club90 said, majority of people don't understand how Ubuntu really works.

My only concern is: is this feature going to be on every edition of Windows 8? Or is it going to be like Windows 7 and Vista that only come with the higher-end editions like Professional and Ultimate.

Ubuntu to me will always be a learning curve and advanced Operating System. It's definitely gotten a lot user friendly, but somethings just can't be made user-friendly and dolt proof like Windows.

#9 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:24 AM

If this coming feature makes Windows unmatched then Ubuntu already blows them out of the water.

sudo reboot

Reinstalls the OS files and also keep your programs intact. You can use the same command to reinstall applications.

Nice feature for Windows though, not new, but nice feature. Windows makes it more user-friendly I give them that.

Command prompt? LOL! That's so 1990. How many joe users do you know that wanna use that thing? Hell, I'm an IT student, and I don't even wanna use the CLI.

My thinking it would only be included in OEM installs, unless this works on a clean install too, but returning the PC to that state.

Edited by Frylock86, 26 March 2011 - 05:26 AM.

#10 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:10 AM

Command prompt? LOL! That's so 1990. How many joe users do you know that wanna use that thing? Hell, I'm an IT student, and I don't even wanna use the CLI.

I'm sorry, but when did using command lines become old? Also, you laugh, but at least there is a feature for Linux users to use. Windows users have to risk losing everything. Hey got a disc? If not, have fun calling around or downloading a disc from another computer. I've used the command line once already after trying something risky and it bailed me out easy. One command line and my computer works again. That's a dream come true. It's fast and built-in.

To answer a question before by club90, an estimated 12+ million people care about Ubuntu (open source communities, open source developers, Windows users, Mac OSX users, Dell corporation, System76, and more). 12 million is a lot of people and a million will make anything a main stream. Ubuntu is very respected, growing, and a main stream desktop OS.

Edited by yanike, 26 March 2011 - 07:30 AM.

#11 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

I stopped reading there.

Edited by FalseAgent, 26 March 2011 - 11:40 AM.

#12 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:39 PM

I'm sorry, but when did using command lines become old? Also, you laugh, but at least there is a feature for Linux users to use. Windows users have to risk losing everything. Hey got a disc? If not, have fun calling around or downloading a disc from another computer. I've used the command line once already after trying something risky and it bailed me out easy. One command line and my computer works again. That's a dream come true. It's fast and built-in.

You're not thinking like the average user. To them, a CLI is a big scary thing. Microsoft knows that. They need to make a OS that caters to everyone, techies and users alike. Plus, personally, I'm a GUI fan. I can't stand the CLI at all, and haven't touched it since ending my networking courses at school.

#13 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

I stopped reading there.

Well keep reading, because you said something stupid. And your +1 fan is as blind as you. You seriously acted like Microsoft invented something new that no other OS has and then glorified them for it.

It's ok to say things stupid and be pointed out for it. Stop living in denial. It's funny how you post something and then get a reply that makes your comment silly and then you post back acting like you didn't read it. You can try to block it out, but Ubuntu already has that feature and like you stated, but in a different way that is why Ubuntu is unmatched in desktop OSes. You probably didn't know Ubuntu had that feature, because like you stated before, you don't read things fully. So pretty much your knowledge is basic.

Warning: Explicit lyrics

See lately I've been posting what I think and lately been letting y'all throw jokes at me and not saying anything to stop flames from starting. I'm fixing to go back to really proving what I say and start smashing brains in.

Edited by yanike, 26 March 2011 - 04:19 PM.

#14 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

I stopped reading there.

Well keep reading, because you said something stupid. And your +1 fan is as blind as you. You seriously acted like Microsoft invented something new that no other OS has and then glorified them for it.

It's ok to say things stupid and be pointed out for it. Stop living in denial. It's funny how you post something and then get a reply that makes your comment silly and then you post back acting like you didn't read it. You can try to block it out, but Ubuntu already has that feature and like you stated, but in a different way that is why Ubuntu is unmatched in desktop OSes. You probably didn't know Ubuntu had that feature, because like you stated before, you don't read things fully. So pretty much your knowledge is basic.

oh? okay.

I will confess that I didn't know that ubuntu had such a feature, through a command line UI. I guess that'll make you happy? yeah, it probably does.

you're full of your own pride, man.

Also, I will say that reading your post did make me feel sad, because you have succeeded in making me look like a complete fool through that comment I made, which you managed to prove wrong and therefore I looked silly. Ubuntu is truly clearly THE desktop OS to match out there. My knowledge is basic, and I feel ashamed.

it's okay, you win. Yanike, big guy, big boss of several companies, and fuxpr0 developer. ;)

You taught me 3 new things today which will be valuable lessons for my life going forward:
- I should stop living in denial
- I should read things fully because my knowledge is "pretty much basic"
- I should be okay with people pointing out and making fun of the stupid things that I may say

Spoiler

Edited by FalseAgent, 26 March 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#15 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

Ubuntu to me will always be a learning curve and advanced Operating System. It's definitely gotten a lot user friendly, but somethings just can't be made user-friendly and dolt proof like Windows.

Windows is just as powerful, if not more than Ubuntu Linux is. The features are there, whether you know how to find them or not is another matter. Windows has also taken complicated things, and made them as user friendly as can be, remember, your average users don't want complicated stuff on their computers.

You seriously acted like Microsoft invented something new that no other OS has and then glorified them for it.

Maybe not, but they have taken a complicated process and simplified it for home users and IT staff alike. Why go though the command prompt process, when you can just click a button and be done with it?

You probably didn't know Ubuntu had that feature, because like you stated before, you don't read things fully.

You're right, but by hiding behind a CLI, how do you find anything at all? The cure for cancer could in in Linux and no one would even know it's there.

Edited by Frylock86, 26 March 2011 - 06:28 PM.

#16 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

Windows is just as powerful, if not more than Ubuntu Linux is. The features are there, whether you know how to find them or not is another matter. Windows has also taken complicated things, and made them as user friendly as can be, remember, your average users don't want complicated stuff on their computers.

You seriously acted like Microsoft invented something new that no other OS has and then glorified them for it.

Maybe not, but they have taken a complicated process and simplified it for home users and IT staff alike. Why go though the command prompt process, when you can just click a button and be done with it?

You probably didn't know Ubuntu had that feature, because like you stated before, you don't read things fully.

You're right, but by hiding behind a CLI, how do you find anything at all?
The cure for cancer could in in Linux and no one would even know it's there.

I am probably one of Yanike's biggest haters on this website but I want to disagree with you here.

Have you EVER even TRIED Ubuntu?

Windows can't be as "powerful" (subjective word) as Linux until it's re-written from scratch. Also, since you said you're a student of IT, I really do feel pity for you for not realizing the importance of a command line backend. I will give you one example out of a billion:

I run a script or a software in Windows, it crashes...what do I do? Run it again, try to find causes of the crash using some random testing method.

I run a script or a software in Ubuntu,it crashes...what do I do? Run it from the command line and observe the point where it crashes...why? COZ IT SHOWS THE OUTPUT I NEED TO FIND THE CAUSE DIRECTLY.

Go try something first before you start ridiculing it. The only reason people like you think Windows is an unmatched OS is because of games. You can do everything that you can do on Windows AND do it faster on Ubuntu. Many of Windows's useful softwares have been ported over from their linux versions.

True there are many things in Ubuntu that are better utilized using GUI but thanks to a CLI backend, you don't have the rewrite the damn thing just for that. That's why it's SO extendable.

@bold: what do you mean by "hiding" behind CLI? Think of CLI in linux as a complement to the GUI...again, you wouldn't know this until you've actually using the linux terminal, it's not the same as a Windows prompt.

FYI and AFAIK...you are one of the few IT students who has yet to realize the value of the linux platform...wish you luck.

Edited by Afzal, 26 March 2011 - 10:19 PM.

#17 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

I am probably one of Yanike's biggest haters on this website but I want to disagree with you here.

Have you EVER even TRIED Ubuntu?

Windows can't be as "powerful" (subjective word) as Linux until it's re-written from scratch. Also, since you said you're a student of IT, I really do feel pity for you for not realizing the importance of a command line backend. I will give you one example out of a billion:

I run a script or a software in Windows, it crashes...what do I do? Run it again, try to find causes of the crash using some random testing method.

I run a script or a software in Ubuntu,it crashes...what do I do? Run it from the command line and observe the point where it crashes...why? COZ IT SHOWS THE OUTPUT I NEED TO FIND THE CAUSE DIRECTLY.

Go try something first before you start ridiculing it. The only reason people like you think Windows is an unmatched OS is because of games. You can do everything that you can do on Windows AND do it faster on Ubuntu. Many of Windows's useful softwares have been ported over from their linux versions.

True there are many things in Ubuntu that are better utilized using GUI but thanks to a CLI backend, you don't have the rewrite the damn thing just for that. That's why it's SO extendable.

I wasn't coming at him as an IT student. I as was coming at him as your average user. Which was the point of this article... Microsoft is adding to the power of the GUI, by giving the user the power of the CLI in button form. Your average home user is not going to bother at all with a CLI. I may be going into IT, but I am a consumer first and foremost, when I am not at school or work. I don't code, or make scripts. I watch movies, Listen to music, browse the web, and play games, and stream content throughout my house, etc. If I can't do it via the Windows shell, then forget it.

FYI and AFAIK...you are one of the few IT students who has yet to realize the value of the linux platform...wish you luck.

Personally, Linux holds no value to me.... On the consumer side, It's just a loose collection of people's weekend projects, that lack any professional backing, and even those that do are pretty poor (ex: Open Office, or whatever it's called this week). All the programs I have installed on my Ubuntu box have not impressed me in the least bit to even power up that machine over my Win7 box. They look and feel like they were coded 10 years ago. The only time I'm on Ubuntu is when I am doing my banking. That's it. Linux on the desktop has failed and lacks what consumers are looking for in an operating environment. It has no value to consumers.

@bold: what do you mean by "hiding" behind CLI? Think of CLI in linux as a complement to the GUI...again, you wouldn't know this until you've actually using the linux terminal, it's not the same as a Windows prompt.

There is no transparency at all with a CLI, you don't know what's there or not there unless you know all the commands like the back of your hand. Forget that. I want to operate with a GUI, not a CLI. Why bother with a string of obscure commands, when I can make a few clicks of the mouse or finger?

Edited by Frylock86, 27 March 2011 - 05:48 AM.

#18 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:21 PM

I don't mean to butt in, but be serious for a second. The Linux shell and the operating system itself can't be matched in today's computer market for any non-amateur, or non-highly-specialized-computer-use (perhaps graphics, video editing, whatever). The point is that even server manufacturers like IBM have in large part moved from *nix systems to Linux, IMO that's for a reason. If you wanna get fussy about how the CLI ain't right, keep a printout from one of these sites @ hand: www.pixelbeat.org/cmdline.html :)

ps. Had to edit, no attitude, I'm on Windows as the primary OS. :$

Edited by old5chool, 26 March 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#19 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:45 PM

Posted Image
NOTE TO SELF: so how did this become personal again? oh wait, yes, that guy, he's out to disrespect and is willing shoot down any small little post containing erroneousness in order to gain bragging rights. I therefore don't have to feel victimized. Moving along... <_<

Let me ask something real quick. Where did I disrespect you???

sudo reboot

I just laughed. I didn't call you any names or anything. Now as for you.

I stopped reading there.

Like after that point I didn't say something true, which I wasn't attacking you in anyway.

And then:

it's okay, you win. Yanike, big guy, big boss of several companies, and fuxpr0 developer. ;)

You taught me 3 new things today which will be valuable lessons for my life going forward:
- I should stop living in denial
- I should read things fully because my knowledge is "pretty much basic"
- I should be okay with people pointing out and making fun of the stupid things that I may say

Posted Image
NOTE TO SELF: so how did this become personal again? oh wait, yes, that guy, he's out to disrespect and is willing shoot down any small little post containing erroneousness in order to gain bragging rights. I therefore don't have to feel victimized. Moving along... <_<

Dude, you seriously have some issues ComedyGuy.. I mean FalseAgent. Damn, before I used to port things over that you liked and even was nice to you.

http://www.winmatrix...me-for-firefox/

You and the others are the ones that came with the hate. Y'all make me out to be an evil dude all because I point out a feature in another OS that beat Windows to the punch? Y'all seriously just started to turn on me for no reason at all. It all started with me just posting an AOL post, Linux post, Apple post and then my OS in development (which I should have never posted now seeing the outcome. People judge me bad all because I couldn't finish a major product by myself and y'all still love Microsoft when they failed to finish the Longhorn project with billions backing them). I've always developed skins, themes, toolbars and now even free smart online services for everyone to use and I still get shit. Guess, you can't always be nice to everyone. This shows that no matter what, people will always turn on you.

By the way, I love the cheerleaders that come and follow you on here.

@Afzal,
Lol. Why the hate? I don't hate you.

Edited by yanike, 27 March 2011 - 12:03 AM.

#20 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:22 AM

Wow, Bitching going on between Yanike and Frylock.

Ok, let me say my 2 cents and get outta the way of the fireworks.

I use Linux. Xubuntu, specifically. It is "minimal" enough for my tastes, runs like a train on my quad core, 8Gb system.

I also, however, run Windows 7. But ONLY for two reasons. .Net 2010 and my TV tuner for some reason wont work in Linux.

and hell, i would swap over to Mono in a heartbeat if i could get mt TV Tuner to work in Linux.

I dont have to worry about Viruses, mal-ware, etc.. in Linux, and it is free. I dont need to worry about it phoning home for me running an illegal / pirated version of it.

Now that being said, i spend more time, believe it or not, in Win7. Trust me, it's the TV Tuner thats keeping me there...

The question was asked "Who uses the CLI?"

I DO. In Windows, every single day. My internet goes out, open up a cmd.exe, and use ping, then a few other net tools to trace the problem. Am I your "normal" or "standard" windows user?

Hell no, i am a freaking power user to the damned extreme. I run alternative shells for my desktop, hell, i WRITE alternative shells for windows. Who wants to be a normal user when you can be so much more? and EVERYONE has it in them to be a better user.

My point is, each system has it's points. Windows is easy to use. Not as easy as OS X is, as some would argue, or as great as being a power user OS like how Linux is, but thats how it is.

Windows is for those that want to use the internet and be happy doing it, just point and click, and also for games.
Linux is for the True power user. Almost every aspect of linux can be configured, normally with out having to get a 3rd party app.

(Looking at WindowBlinds, or having to hack a patch for .msstyles because MS is a selfish bitch. They shold allow for unsigned styles, but need a "certificate" to install them, to keep embedded viruses out of the styles.)

OS X ... for art snobs/pros, teachers, music people, etc.... or the "I have a Mac and i'm special and unique" people. (Unique like everyone else that has a mac, btw...)

AND just too let it be known, I have a dedicated Xubuntu Box, A dedicated Windows 7 box, and a Macintosh. So, yes, i can be judgmental because i own all three.

Linux = True power users.
Windows = Internet grannies and gamers.
Mac = Snobs and the rich.

end of story for me.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!