Mozilla Firefox 4.0 has been announced officially:

http://www.mozilla.c...irefox/all.html

#22 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Just a info: imho RC2 = final

The update from RC2 to final requires no dowload -> it just update the title from RC2 to final.

Edited by Borix, 22 March 2011 - 02:43 PM.

#23 Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP

• 529 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

^^ Yes. Firefox 4.0 RC2 is the final version.

Edited by Vishal Gupta, 22 March 2011 - 02:48 PM.

#24 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

- closing the last tab closes the browser (most, except Opera)

Is there not an about:config setting that can fix that?

#25 Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP

• 529 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

^^ I think you are talking about this:

[Fix] Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Closes When You Close the Last Tab

#26 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a PROUD Ubuntu user and my DEFAULT browser KICKS A$$!!!!

This is definitely a Geek Out Day :D

Edited by yanike, 22 March 2011 - 06:17 PM.

#27 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a PROUD Ubuntu user and my DEFAULT browser KICKS A$$!!!!

This is definitely a Geek Out Day :D

Spoiler

I think you're overreacting.

#28 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

Seriously, IE9 sucks royal balls. The browser is fast yea, but that's it. It doesn't have many of the lastest technologies that developers were looking forward to. I have a new site that uses the latest CSS3 and HTML5 properties and IE9 will fail horribly to show it right.

I also have a nice get Firefox 4 button on the footer of every page as well.

Opera 11.10 will be out soon enough and it will support more than IE9. I will respect IE9 more when I can do what I do already with Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and even Opera. Until then, it will always be a sh*ty browser to me.

Microsoft always just does enough to keep the uneducated market share ok, but they have no idea what hell developers go through to make websites work for that crappy browser called Internet Explorer.

The other thing that's hilarious is that many are saying how great it is when the damn browser doesn't even match or beat the technologies of Firefox 3.6.

So Microsoft supports the latest unfinished standard and it changes.

Then what have you gained?

#29 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:44 AM

What are you talking about???? Unfinished standards. Are you meaning the STANDARDS that the other browsers have?

Sorry, but all because IE has more market share doesn't mean it makes what STANDARD is.

The browser is CRAP just face it. Nothing you can post will make IE more standard. You're like a Microsoft guy sticking up for all their faults. You're like, "IE doesn't support this, because it's not a standard (aka feature that Microsoft haven't incorporated yet). Even though the other guys have it and more, we still don't need it, because we have market share and it rules. Screw developers, screw improving technology, Microsoft will make products they like. They will release today's standards 2 years from now and call it IE X. We will just love it and if it sucks royal balls at least it's fast!"

Edited by yanike, 23 March 2011 - 01:53 AM.

#30 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:54 AM

I think you're overreacting.

Nope. Geeking out more like it :)

This browser is great! Also I'm happy, because lots of users, and pretty much all Firefox users, will be upgrading to this now and I can start releasing better works for clients.

I love a browser that helps you move ahead.

Edited by yanike, 23 March 2011 - 01:59 AM.

#31 club90

club90

Active WinMatrixian

• 340 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:10 AM

What are you talking about???? Unfinished standards. Are you meaning the STANDARDS that the other browsers have?

Sorry, but all because IE has more market share doesn't mean it makes what STANDARD is.

The browser is CRAP just face it. Nothing you can post will make IE more standard. You're like a Microsoft guy sticking up for all their faults. You're like, "IE doesn't support this, because it's not a standard (aka feature that Microsoft haven't incorporated yet). Even though the other guys have it and more, we still don't need it, because we have market share and it rules. Screw developers, screw improving technology, Microsoft will make products they like. They will release today's standards 2 years from now and call it IE X. We will just love it and if it sucks royal balls at least it's fast!"

Oh jesus watch out. Yanike the professional developer is speaking xD
your funny man !

#32 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:30 AM

your funny man !

I know thanks. I might be funny, but I speak truth. Also, I am a professional because that's what I get paid to do. You're smart a$$ comments haven't been funny at all just letting you know ;) What are you like 12? No. Gotta be more like 5. Anyways, I have work to do. Enjoy your video game or something.

Edited by yanike, 23 March 2011 - 03:06 AM.

#33 club90

club90

Active WinMatrixian

• 340 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:03 AM

your funny man !

I know thanks. I might be funny, but I speak truth.

No your just saying your lame opinions. xD!

FANBOY >:P

No im 17 :) jaja you work? lol
I never said i was smart xD i just said your opinions
are f**k**G Stupid just like always ;)
if i wasn't smart i wouldnt have gotten a scholarship
for UT Austin ;D

its funny cause your all old and shi*

Edited by club90, 23 March 2011 - 05:14 AM.

#34 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:39 AM

your funny man !

I know thanks. I might be funny, but I speak truth. Also, I am a professional because that's what I get paid to do. You're smart a$ comments haven't been funny at all just letting you know ;) What are you like 12? No. Gotta be more like 5. Anyways, I have work to do. Enjoy your video game or something.

Show me the specs for the finished standards that IE9 does not support.

The standards the other browsers support are not finalized implementations.

For example WebSockets as a developer you should know this.

Edited by InlineSkate, 23 March 2011 - 05:35 AM.

#35 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:43 AM

You can see the real time download stats of Firefox 4 here.

#36 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

I know thanks. I might be funny, but I speak truth my own story.

Fixed that for you. :lol:

You can see the real time download stats of Firefox 4 here.

wow, it's already at 6 million downloads!

#37 parry

parry

Active WinMatrixian

• 710 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

So far so good using 4.0.

I just wish the 'Firefox button' was like this:

Posted Image

Just a small mockup I did.

#38 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

So far so good using 4.0.

I just wish the 'Firefox button' was like this:

Posted Image

Just a small mockup I did.

My original Mac OSX (Firefox 4 Linux) theme was similar to that :)

Posted Image

#39 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

I've been a firefox fan for a long time but I have to admit that I'm not really impressed with this release. It might have something to do with the fact that I've been using strata buddy for a long time which is basically the same interface as firefox 4 but for me, it feels like a beta. Tab panorama really isn't that useful unless you always leave your browser open and/or save all your tabs when you exit firefox (which you have to enable manually in about:config). Also, the memory usage is a lot higher than 3.6; I never had a problem with memory in firefox 3.6. A thing I do like though is the option to show our tabs in the windows taskbar. I'm not sure how so many people see speed improvements in loading pages, because it would only be split second differences. Overall, it may not be so bad, but I feel it's more bloated and just didn't meet the personal hype I had about it.

#40 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

I've been a firefox fan for a long time but I have to admit that I'm not really impressed with this release. It might have something to do with the fact that I've been using strata buddy for a long time which is basically the same interface as firefox 4 but for me, it feels like a beta. Tab panorama really isn't that useful unless you always leave your browser open and/or save all your tabs when you exit firefox (which you have to enable manually in about:config). Also, the memory usage is a lot higher than 3.6; I never had a problem with memory in firefox 3.6. A thing I do like though is the option to show our tabs in the windows taskbar. I'm not sure how so many people see speed improvements in loading pages, because it would only be split second differences. Overall, it may not be so bad, but I feel it's more bloated and just didn't meet the personal hype I had about it.

You can really notice how well it works when developing sites. Also, it shows and works sites better like Grooveshark and more than Firefox 3.6 did. Also, response, stability, and CSS is the biggest improvement I see using it on Ubuntu. I usually had to click links twice or more to get it to work on Ubuntu 3.6 for some reason under localhost and browsing the web. Also, pages load just as fast as Chrome. As for freezing, my YouTube videos and others don't grey out anymore like they did with 3.6.

It makes the best default browser for me on Ubuntu :) One great reason like before is that you know majority or all Firefox users will be using it and you can finally do things with websites you couldn't while it was in beta. Everything I do now with CSS now shows great on Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and even Opera now. It's only gonna get better with all advancing browsers pushing out updates on a quicker cycle.

Edited by yanike, 23 March 2011 - 09:38 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!