16 replies to this topic

#1 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

Posted Image

According to statistics released by Internet metrics company Net Applications, Windows 7 continues to gain traction worldwide, having reached a usage share of no less than 23.08%. More importantly, Windows 7’s momentum seems to keep steady and not indicate any signs of declaration, which is important.

And while Windows 7 now reached 23.08% usage share, Windows XP is slowly losing more of its grip on the operating system market. XP continues in its downward trend, dipping to 55.09% in February 2011 from 55.26% the previous month.

Windows Vista too continues to lose market share, and is now down to 11.01% from 11.66% the previous month.

source

#2 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

XP will only go away when people in China stop using it. Pirated of Legal, that is the OS they they use. They are not so quick to hop on board the "new OS" because it is time consuming and possibly expensive for them. There should be an option to show this graph, Per Country. That would be cool.

#3 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

XP will only go away when people in China stop using it. Pirated of Legal, that is the OS they they use. They are not so quick to hop on board the "new OS" because it is time consuming and possibly expensive for them. There should be an option to show this graph, Per Country. That would be cool.

Posted Image

OS Marketshare in China.

#4 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,057 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:27 PM

Posted Image

OS Marketshare in China.

There's your answer

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:00 AM

i'm asian, and I don't understand China.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

You also probably don't understand that the majority of asians don't have a lot of money to spend on new hardware and operating systems. The same applies for the whole world. But it's so easy to judge when your parents buy you newest hardware every year. XP is a great OS and it can do anything Windows 7 can, but it runs well even on P3. I don't see whats the big deal.

#7 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

You also probably don't understand that the majority of asians don't have a lot of money to spend on new hardware and operating systems. The same applies for the whole world. But it's so easy to judge when your parents buy you newest hardware every year. XP is a great OS and it can do anything Windows 7 can, but it runs well even on P3. I don't see whats the big deal.

Look, I am disabled FOR LIFE. I only get $600 per month. Max. My rent and utilities take up 80% of my money, so dont talk to me about "Dont have the money" or "Cant afford it".

I buy new hardware once every 6-10 years, IF I can afford it, so thats not an excuse. I used a 700 MHz machine for 10 years, starting off with Win98SE all the way up to Vista and several Ubuntu flavors. I even got Win7 working once thanks to a special stripped down version of it. So saying that you dont have the money is not an option or an excuse. Just put money in to the bank and let it sit. Dont buy un-needed luxury items. No booze. No cigs.

If your machine becomes outdated due to Windows updating routine, move to linux, and use Wine. Your obviously NOT playing the newest games (Crysis, etc...) So that Wine should work for you.

The Chinese either need to stop pirating or move to Linux.

#8 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:04 PM

I knew I liked you for some reason!

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

Look, I am disabled FOR LIFE. I only get $600 per month. Max. My rent and utilities take up 80% of my money, so dont talk to me about "Dont have the money" or "Cant afford it".

I buy new hardware once every 6-10 years, IF I can afford it, so thats not an excuse. I used a 700 MHz machine for 10 years, starting off with Win98SE all the way up to Vista and several Ubuntu flavors. I even got Win7 working once thanks to a special stripped down version of it. So saying that you dont have the money is not an option or an excuse. Just put money in to the bank and let it sit. Dont buy un-needed luxury items. No booze. No cigs.

If your machine becomes outdated due to Windows updating routine, move to linux, and use Wine. Your obviously NOT playing the newest games (Crysis, etc...) So that Wine should work for you.

600$? Good for you. 3/4 of the world gets WAY less. Priorities, priorities, some people prefer to spend money on food and shelter, instead of software. And linux? You really think these people are savvy enough to: have internet, know what linux is, rather than just get a 0.05 cent CD copy of Windows XP (whilst thinking it's legit too)?

#10 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,057 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

I understand completely. I am a college student. I, too, don't have a lot of money, but I am still able to upgrade my systems every few years. I'm currently on my second build in four years.

As for XP being able to do what Windows 7 can, can your OS prevent driveby downloads? Nope. Can your OS be as secure as Windows 7 can? Nope. Can your OS take advantage of today's hardware? Nope....

#11 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

I think the Chinese are more buying pirated Windows unaware than anything. You wouldn't believe how many illegitimate Windows copies are running on computers sold through normal retail channels. Like big stores there not the guy selling on the corner.

#12 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

I knew I liked you for some reason!

Posted Image
...okay.

anyway, i'm Indian. But no, i'm not from India. I'm from Singapore! ;)

Edited by FalseAgent, 03 March 2011 - 08:45 AM.

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:33 AM

I understand completely. I am a college student. I, too, don't have a lot of money, but I am still able to upgrade my systems every few years. I'm currently on my second build in four years.

As for XP being able to do what Windows 7 can, can your OS prevent driveby downloads? Nope. Can your OS be as secure as Windows 7 can? Nope. Can your OS take advantage of today's hardware? Nope....

Yes it can, a OS is as secure as the user wants it to be. Windows 7 without a firewall and antivirus is just as vulnerable in the hands of a moron who clicks on every ad they see on the internet. As for hardware, that's kinda the point if you didn't mention. If you have money to buy "today's hardware" you probably have money to pay for software. Also can windows 7 take advantage of older hardware? Nope....

#14 Guest_xp user_*

Guest_xp user_*

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

Most of the people in my country don't know what Linux is. They use XP because Windows 7 can't be run smoothly on their PCs.

#15 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:34 PM

They use XP because they don't know what Windows 7 is.

fixed that for you.

#16 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,057 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

Yes it can, a OS is as secure as the user wants it to be. Windows 7 without a firewall and antivirus is just as vulnerable in the hands of a moron who clicks on every ad they see on the internet. As for hardware, that's kinda the point if you didn't mention. If you have money to buy "today's hardware" you probably have money to pay for software. Also can windows 7 take advantage of older hardware? Nope....

That's not my point, out of the box, Windows 7 is more stable, and secure than XP is out of the box. If Joe User is turning everything off, then that is his own fault. Any OS will do what the user wants it to do, even if that is installing malware.

So what is 3/4 of China going to do when 2014 arrives?

Edited by Frylock86, 07 March 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#17 Guest_rip-xp_*

Guest_rip-xp_*

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:26 PM

Most of the people using XP don't even upgrade their browsers and keep using IE6. IE6 is bad, not XP!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!