• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:45 PM

Microsoft Office has it, OpenOffice may/will/should/was getting something similar – but what about its’ fork LibreOffice?

LibreOffice user by ~usrnametaken has mocked-up what it might look like, should LibreOffice ever go down the ribbon route.
For normal Gnome...
Posted Image

For Unity...
Posted Image

Personally LibreOffice needs to start pruning some of its cluttered toolbars and menus into something more manageable for users. Whether adopting the proposed ‘Ribbon’ interface OpenOffice had is the ideal solution remains to be seen.

What are your thoughts?

#2 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:20 AM

I don't mean to be one of those guys but it seems like they directly ripped off the Office ribbon implementation.

The Unity one is a little bit better because even though it clearly has influences from Chrome it still has a unique look.

I just hope Linux/Office in general will contribute more innovation into the OS/Office market instead of going hmm what are Apple/Microsoft doing and just emulate their products into an open source version.

Overall it looks nice and I don't mean this as a bash against Linux/OO.org

Edited by InlineSkate, 17 January 2011 - 12:28 AM.

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Psh, Microsoft Office has no competition.

#4 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

Psh, Microsoft Office has no competition.

Google Apps is the only thing that comes close, and even then MS Office is still years ahead.

#5 Kage56

Kage56

New WinMatrixian

• 30 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

omg, no. that UI sucks so much. it clutters everything into those tabs that it's become more of a hassle to find something compared to when it was just dropdowns.

#6 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

omg, no. that UI sucks so much. it clutters everything into those tabs that it's become more of a hassle to find something compared to when it was just dropdowns.

I don't see how.

Drop downs are a pain in the ass because you have to search through a wall of text and then navigate through windows to find what you need.

#7 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:14 AM

I don't see how.

Drop downs are a pain in the ass because you have to search through a wall of text and then navigate through windows to find what you need.

Drop downs are just a pain in the arse anymore. UI's need to become more user friendly. Microsoft has figured this out with Windows and using the Ribbon UI and revamped start menu in Windows 7, and to a lesser extent, Apple with iOS. It's time to leave drop downs to the 1990's where they belong.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!