LinMatrix - What Do You Want It To Be

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for sorting that out, Yanike. If you guys don't want to see the OS X forum, then don't visit it.

#22 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:28 AM

Alright then, I want Linmatrix to:

1. Have different sections for Slackware, Debain, Redhat. Also probably for Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc
2. Section for beginners to start using linux (installation is covered all over the web) and help them modify linux (i.e the source). It should have tutorials for kernel/other modifications and how to begin doing that.
3. Have a helpdesk (but each distro's own forum is enough for that so dunno)

I want this forum to discuss the latest ongoing stuff in the linux community + enable to user to learn about linux and how to work with linux (and I don't mean just daily stuff, I mean how to modify linux).

So in summary I want a linux dev community + the linux consumer community :)

I think that will be tricky to do one for each section because there are dozens of different distributions.

Why? There's are just a few base distros from which everything is derived.

http://photos1.blogg...updatedw4.0.jpg

#23 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:11 AM

Mac OSX is going to be a part of LinMatrix.

I'll let Steve Jobs tell you why. Watch video below:

Video Information:
Title - Mac OSX - Darwin (WinMatrix Media)
Video Editor - Kdenlive
Operating System - Ubuntu 10.10
Hosted By - YouTube.com
Uploaded By - Yanike

Mac OSX is a part of Unix like the others, so it's going to be a part of LinMatrix. We need everything related to Unix on LinMatrix to separate it from WinMatrix. All because OSX is a closed source distro doesn't mean we should not add it to LinMatrix.

It's called LIN matrix not UNI matrix.

anyway, I prefer logical reasoning (as in my post) than a video with Steve Jobs yappin'

but lol, you guys can have it obviously, I'm just trollin'....but don't call it open source really. OS X doesn't stand for the same objectives that Open source does. Just because they've taken the source of Darwin doesn't mean the whole OS is open source.

Edited by Afzal, 05 December 2010 - 07:13 AM.

#24 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

@afzal,
Linux is practically the same thing as Unix. Unix is just used by large corporations. That's the reason why I said LinMatrix - Unix Driven Community. They all are still a form of Unix. Why create multiple forum sites for different distros of the same thing. No matter how you look at it, Darwin is still OSX's core. It belongs with LinMatrix. LinMatrix pretty much is going to be the Alternative Operating Systems own forum, but better with lots of information and more.

Also, more OSes will bring more members to post. The more the better. Having Ubuntu and OSX on the same forum will brings tons of people to the site. I'm expecting LinMatrix to get huge. Especially with Ubuntu, Mac OSX, and HackOSX on the same forum.

Lol. Hackintosh is open source with lots of distros. Can't argue there.

Edited by yanike, 05 December 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#25 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:59 PM

Alright then, I want Linmatrix to:

1. Have different sections for Slackware, Debain, Redhat. Also probably for Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc
2. Section for beginners to start using linux (installation is covered all over the web) and help them modify linux (i.e the source). It should have tutorials for kernel/other modifications and how to begin doing that.
3. Have a helpdesk (but each distro's own forum is enough for that so dunno)

I want this forum to discuss the latest ongoing stuff in the linux community + enable to user to learn about linux and how to work with linux (and I don't mean just daily stuff, I mean how to modify linux).

So in summary I want a linux dev community + the linux consumer community :)

I think that will be tricky to do one for each section because there are dozens of different distributions.

As far as having different distro forums, this is easy to fix.
Have three forums, for the three main package formats. That is DEB, RPM and TGZ.

ALL Of these formats are compatable with other distros that use this...
Example. Ubuntu and Debian and Dream Linux can all use DEB files, and you can use Ubuntu specific DEB files with non Ubuntu distros.
Mandrivia, PCLinuxOS, Fedora, all of these are RPM baised distros. Again, all three can use the same RPM format.
SuSe, Slax, etc... use TGZ.

So yes, making three forums for the three main archive types will fix this argument.

#26 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

@afzal,
Linux is practically the same thing as Unix. Unix is just used by large corporations. That's the reason why I said LinMatrix - Unix Driven Community. They all are still a form of Unix. Why create multiple forum sites for different distros of the same thing. No matter how you look at it, Darwin is still OSX's core. It belongs with LinMatrix. LinMatrix pretty much is going to be the Alternative Operating Systems own forum, but better with lots of information and more.

Also, more OSes will bring more members to post. The more the better. Having Ubuntu and OSX on the same forum will brings tons of people to the site. I'm expecting LinMatrix to get huge. Especially with Ubuntu, Mac OSX, and HackOSX on the same forum.

Lol. Hackintosh is open source with lots of distros. Can't argue there.

Hackintosh is open source to what extent? Please explain.

Seems as if I release the source code of an app and hold back one of the main files, you would still call the app open source even when it is clearly not following the core open source objective.

#27 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

@afzal,
I think your reading a little too much into this. I laughed before I said hackintosh was open sourced. Still, hackintosh comes with different distros of the same OS with different apps and driversjust like Linux distros. It operates pretty much exactly the same as Linux.

LinMatrix wasn't created for Open Source. If you think about it, not everything on Ubuntu is free. Commercial apps are making their way towards Ubuntu as well THANK GOODNESS. Ubuntu is getting more OSX like as well. You shouldn't knock Apple for making the first major mainstream Unix OS.

Also, if you release anything for free use it's open source. It just depends how open it is. There's a lot of different meanings to open source.

#28 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

I have to agree with Yanike, no one said that LinMatrix is F/OSS only. We may have a lot of articles and such about F/OSS, but no one said that we had to stick it only.

I release free software all the time, and a majority of people like it. But I almost never release the source. so you see, Free and OSS is not always the same thing, but people talk about them as if they are the same thing. Common misconception. We can easily do articles on Free OSX software, or do articles on BASH scripts for OS X's underlying system, Or we could even talk about MacPorts, a software app that will let you get F/OSS software that has been ported to the Mac, say, like the Gimp, Banshee, or even Gnome.

There is a lot of ways for OSX to be welcomed in to LinMatrix.

#29 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

@afzal,
I think your reading a little too much into this. I laughed before I said hackintosh was open sourced. Still, hackintosh comes with different distros of the same OS with different apps and driversjust like Linux distros. It operates pretty much exactly the same as Linux.

LinMatrix wasn't created for Open Source. If you think about it, not everything on Ubuntu is free. Commercial apps are making their way towards Ubuntu as well THANK GOODNESS. Ubuntu is getting more OSX like as well. You shouldn't knock Apple for making the first major mainstream Unix OS.

Also, if you release anything for free use it's open source. It just depends how open it is. There's a lot of different meanings to open source.

hey, read my other post where I said sure you could have the OS X section but do not call OS X open source.

Here: http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd

This is the definition of Open Source, go read it.

@bold: I think you really have no idea what open source is anymore

Edited by Afzal, 05 December 2010 - 08:32 PM.

#30 Laguna

Laguna

Active WinMatrixian

• 830 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

Are we discussing what is open source or what sections will Linmatrix have?

#31 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:18 PM

@Laguna,
The topic is what do you want LinMatrix to be. OSX will be a part of it. Anything Unix pretty much. You can suggest features, sections, articles, etc..

#32 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:24 AM

Is LinMatrix going to be a completely different board then WinMatrix or is it going to be a forum of WinMatrix? There already is the Alternative Operating Systems forum, for discussing anything non-Windows since this is mainly a Windows news and customization board.

Tl;DR: Discussion on the major distributions, the major desktop environments (XFCE, Gnome, KDE) and how to customize them, and Linux applications. The rest (news, etc) will come with the prior items listed. I would love to help with this. Let me know.

If you do plan on going through with this though, let me know, I'll gladly help out. I think I have some knowledge that could benefit this forum.

Honestly though, if you want it to be a part of WinMatrix, it would have to be a forum like this topic is under WinMatrix and then the sub-forum WinMatrix Related; LinMatrix would be the forum, and everything mentioned here would be sub-forums to it. That is, unless, you want to use LinMatrix.com as the domain, and it will be a Linux only board (I think Jatin bought that for a joke a while ago). And, take a look at LinuxForums, UbuntuForums, Arch Linux Forums (bbs.archlinux.org), and there are so many others. Yes, I named two distro-specific forums, but the same issues come up anyway.

If you want it to be about Linux in general, you are going to have to allow for growth. Start off with the big contenders - look at DistroWatch's Major Distributions List: Debian-based distributions (Ubuntu, Linux Mint; don't get too crazy with the amount of distributions listed), Red Hat-based distributions (Fedora, et cetera), Mandriva, Arch, Gentoo (only if someone is knowledgeable with it, otherwise it will flop), and OpenSUSE.

Alright, so now you have distributions, but that's only a fraction of what is actually out there that is Linux based. I mean do you want to have UNIX distributions as well, like any flavor of BSD? What about Android? Or WebOS (I think that's Linux based as well)?

Now seeing that WinMatrix is tailored toward customization, LinMatrix should also have that feel. So you will need things like Metacity themes, Emerald themes, GTK+ themes; I am not big on the theming end of Linux distributions, mainly because I use my computer as a tool, and I don't care who needs a computer to look flashy to be considered "good". I'm sure you can find someone to head this.

Linux applications, of course. Newcomers to any distro are always like "What's the equivilant of x software in Ubuntu/Fedora/Arch/any Linux distro?". So, news on and community developed Linux applications will be a good idea.

Also you're going to need some forums/sub-forums on the desktop environments. Off the top of my head: XFCE, Gnome, KDE, Awesome (or is that just a window manager?)... dwm, FluxBox (again, are these just window managers?). Whatever. I run XFCE4, and I'm happy with that. When I figure out the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager, I might change. So you'll need to have at least the major desktop environments (XFCE, GNOME, KDE).

I think that's enough for one post.

#33 LonghornGT

LonghornGT

Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

• 370 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:29 AM

Damn, maybe we'll start to make LinMatrix, not chattering about *NIX?

#34 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:56 AM

Damn, maybe we'll start to make LinMatrix, not chattering about *NIX?

web programmer here, always at the ready. :P

#35 LonghornGT

LonghornGT

• 370 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:17 PM

linmatrix.tk - making LinMatrix forums right now

#36 LonghornGT

LonghornGT

• 370 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

ATTENTION!!

HTTP://LINMATRIX.TK IS NOW AVAILABLE!! WEB DESIGNERS AND DEVELOPERS, YOU MAY HELP ME!

All users are welcomed too!

Hosting I got is crap, so site will be opened later.

Edited by LonghornGT, 06 December 2010 - 05:43 PM.

#37 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

please just wait for Jatin to release the new forums on the .com domain. and dont ever use .tk, it is pure crap.

#38 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

ATTENTION!!

HTTP://LINMATRIX.TK IS NOW AVAILABLE!! WEB DESIGNERS AND DEVELOPERS, YOU MAY HELP ME!

All users are welcomed too!

Hosting I got is crap, so site will be opened later.

I have coolhandle hosting package for a year right now, just sitting there
http://www.coolhandle.com/web-hosting/

The starter pack. But maybe Jatin himself has a better solution right now.

And .co.cc is much better than .tk if you're looking for free domains.

#39 LonghornGT

LonghornGT

• 370 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

I already got hosting from my near friend, with unlimited storage, bandwith and full bundled. Now I need good domain, like .org...

#40 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

I can help with configuring stuff on the website and such. ;)  - i like websites  :woot:

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!