Photo
- - - - -

LinMatrix - What Do You Want It To Be

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:52 AM

Posted Image
The Check-list. Lets Do This.

What would you like to see in LinMatrix? What forums do you want it to have? What suggestions do you have?

What is LinMatrix
This community is devoted to bring you the best of Unix. From newbie to command-line junkie, we will help you along the way. Here you can find out about the latest software, hardware, designs, news, projects and more. We have dedicated Mods to moderate discussions and assist the community when needed. Also, our strong community is great at assisting their fellow members.

Related Topics:
Posted Image LinMatrix?..

Edited by yanike, 05 December 2010 - 04:16 AM.

#2 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:02 AM

A Mac OS X subforum. That's all I ask for :P .

#3 Sheldon

Sheldon

just new

• 172 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:18 AM

Drivers subforum

Where users can share or request drivers and related apps?

#4 splitfire

splitfire

WinMatrixian

• 154 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:48 AM

- News
- hardware
- new programs
- update
- that stuff

- Programs
- OpenSource
- yara yara yara...

- Customization
- GKT themes
- Applets
- Wallpapers
- more things like that :P

- Support
- Installations
- Distributions
- Drivers
- Scripts & Tips
- more things xD

:P i can help you wiht that, im kinda 99% linux user

#5 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:16 AM

NEVER! OS X isn't open source!

#6 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:47 AM

Still a Unix based system, so it at least deserves it's own subforum. It'll keep some of the flame wars that occur here from happening.
Plus, we could have a Hackintosh subforum as well, which would be great.

#7 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:23 AM

Sorry, but Wrong. The AQUA interface and UI is NOT Opensource, but the low level system itself, file structure, kernel, boot manager, etc... everything that makes AQUA run and work, that is an opensource project called Darwin. Infact, Darwin is actually a modified NetBSD System.
Link to Darwin Core Technologies(from Apple there selves!)

And here is the Second Sentience form the page...

The Darwin layer of Mac OS X comprises the kernel, drivers, and BSD portions of the system and is based primarily on open source technologies.

And here is some of what the Darwin page from Wikipedia has to say...

Darwin is an open source POSIX-compliant computer operating system released by Apple Inc. in 2000. It is composed of code developed by Apple, as well as code derived from NeXTSTEP, BSD, and other free software projects.
Darwin forms the core set of components upon which Mac OS X, Apple TV, and iOS are based. It is compatible with the Single UNIX Specification version 3 (SUSv3) and POSIX UNIX applications and utilities

Wiki Link (Darwin)

So as I said, the AQUA interface (desktop, finder, UI, etc...) Is closed source... but the system that makes everything possible IS opensource. So Apple should have it's own sub forum.

Link to Wiki AQUA Interface page ... if nothing else, just to show that i do, indeed, know what i am talking about. I once actually downloaded Darwin, and after 4 months of tinkering with it, i got it to compile, and i even got Gnome to run on top of X11.

#8 club90

club90

Active WinMatrixian

• 340 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:50 AM

Sorry, but Wrong. The AQUA interface and UI is NOT Opensource, but the low level system itself, file structure, kernel, boot manager, etc... everything that makes AQUA run and work, that is an opensource project called Darwin. Infact, Darwin is actually a modified NetBSD System.

The Darwin layer of Mac OS X comprises the kernel, drivers, and BSD portions of the system and is based primarily on open source technologies.

Darwin is an open source POSIX-compliant computer operating system released by Apple Inc. in 2000. It is composed of code developed by Apple, as well as code derived from NeXTSTEP, BSD, and other free software projects.
Darwin forms the core set of components upon which Mac OS X, Apple TV, and iOS are based. It is compatible with the Single UNIX Specification version 3 (SUSv3) and POSIX UNIX applications and utilities

Wiki Link (Darwin)

So as I said, the AQUA interface (desktop, finder, UI, etc...) Is closed source... but the system that makes everything possible IS opensource. So Apple should have it's own sub forum.

Link to Wiki AQUA Interface page ... if nothing else, just to show that i do, indeed, know what i am talking about. I once actually downloaded Darwin, and after 4 months of tinkering with it, i got it to compile, and i even got Gnome to run on top of X11.

Then why do we have to pay to get it?

#9 Guest_voipster3_*

Guest_voipster3_*

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:53 AM

opensource is not free in $

#10 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:00 AM

Like he said, Aqua is not open source, so Apple can choose to charge for it if they want. It's only the underlying system that is open source.

#11 LonghornGT

LonghornGT

Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

• 370 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:51 AM

GTK+ apps/themes, KDE apps/themes/plasmoids, installation/customisation tutorials, wallpapers, new distros review/discussion, tech/linux news and, of course, OS X and *BSD discussion topics.

#12 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

Wiki Link (Darwin)

OS X = Aqua ^ Darwin

Suppose OS X can be called Opensource, then:

Opensource ^ (OS X) = Opensource ^ (Aqua ^ Darwin)
Opensource ^ (OS X) = (Opensource ^Aqua) ^ (Opensource ^ Darwin)

CONTRADICTION ====> Opensource ^ Aqua

therefore: ¬(Opensource ^ OS X)

So no, OS X is not Open source, just posted this coz you said I was wrong that "OS X is not open source". We can have a Darwin section but not OS X.

Finally that course came to some real life use. Lulz.

Edited by Afzal, 04 December 2010 - 10:44 PM.

#13 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:51 PM

I'm still not seeing why you're being all snobby about it, or why you should be the one to automatically decide, "Oh, no, we can't have that."
If enough people would use it, we should have an OS X subforum.

#14 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:04 PM

I'm still not seeing why you're being all snobby about it, or why you should be the one to automatically decide, "Oh, no, we can't have that."
If enough people would use it, we should have an OS X subforum.

Because BSD =/= Linux and Darwin =/= Linux and hence OS X =/= Linux

Sure you can have OS X section...

... IN UNIMATRIX

#15 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:54 AM

A forum to help users get set up on Linux.

#16 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:51 AM

ok, enough of fussing over OSX. Lets gat back to the topic on hand, please?
Yanike, can you make a poll thread asking "Include OSX in LinMatrix?" or some such like that. Let the votes say if it should be included or not.

#17 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:26 AM

Alright then, I want Linmatrix to:

1. Have different sections for Slackware, Debain, Redhat. Also probably for Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc
2. Section for beginners to start using linux (installation is covered all over the web) and help them modify linux (i.e the source). It should have tutorials for kernel/other modifications and how to begin doing that.
3. Have a helpdesk (but each distro's own forum is enough for that so dunno)

I want this forum to discuss the latest ongoing stuff in the linux community + enable to user to learn about linux and how to work with linux (and I don't mean just daily stuff, I mean how to modify linux).

So in summary I want a linux dev community + the linux consumer community :)

#18 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:41 AM

Mac OSX is going to be a part of LinMatrix.

I'll let Steve Jobs tell you why. Watch video below:

Video Information:
Title - Mac OSX - Darwin (WinMatrix Media)
Video Editor - Kdenlive
Operating System - Ubuntu 10.10
Hosted By - YouTube.com
Uploaded By - Yanike

Mac OSX is a part of Unix like the others, so it's going to be a part of LinMatrix. We need everything related to Unix on LinMatrix to separate it from WinMatrix. All because OSX is a closed source distro doesn't mean we should not add it to LinMatrix.

Edited by yanike, 05 December 2010 - 02:50 AM.

#19 Laguna

Laguna

Active WinMatrixian

• 830 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:38 AM

Thanks Yanike.

#20 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:39 AM

Alright then, I want Linmatrix to:

1. Have different sections for Slackware, Debain, Redhat. Also probably for Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc
2. Section for beginners to start using linux (installation is covered all over the web) and help them modify linux (i.e the source). It should have tutorials for kernel/other modifications and how to begin doing that.
3. Have a helpdesk (but each distro's own forum is enough for that so dunno)

I want this forum to discuss the latest ongoing stuff in the linux community + enable to user to learn about linux and how to work with linux (and I don't mean just daily stuff, I mean how to modify linux).

So in summary I want a linux dev community + the linux consumer community :)

I think that will be tricky to do one for each section because there are dozens of different distributions.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!