Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Most Windows Users Still Run Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Why? (67 member(s) have cast votes)

Why Windows XP?

1. Low system resources (13 votes [20.63%])

Percentage of vote: 20.63%

2. Simple look (1 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

3. Windows 7 is expensive (1 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

4. Performance? (4 votes [6.35%])

Percentage of vote: 6.35%

5. Old Apps (2 votes [3.17%])

Percentage of vote: 3.17%

6. I'm lazy (5 votes [7.94%])

Percentage of vote: 7.94%

7. <<<<< I DONT USE WINDOWS XP >>>>>> (37 votes [58.73%])

Percentage of vote: 58.73%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#1 USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,787 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:50 AM

I read one msnbc that a year after Windows 7's release, 66% still cling to the old system. If you are a Windows XP user then please post here that which thing is preventing you from the upgrade?

Almost one year after the introduction of Windows 7, it appears that the hype has faded. The overall market share of Windows has turned into a slight decline again. Windows 7 is gaining share, but it cannot keep pace with the loss of Windows XP and Vista. Especially Windows XP users seem to be happy with what they have and appear to be rather resistant to Microsoft's pitches that it is time to upgrade to Windows 7.

Edited by USG Ishimura, 06 October 2010 - 12:52 AM.

#2 tominorlando

tominorlando

Active WinMatrixian

• 396 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:33 AM

My "I DON'T USE WINDOWS XP" comes with a qualifier.

As a tech, I don't have much choice in the matter.

Most business environments have applications (or entire suites of applications) for XP.
Or they simply refuse to pay for the large number of licenses required to upgrade entire organizations. (Usually both)

That being said, I do have XP on a partition on my home machine simply because
some old games that I am still fond of don't play nicely with Windows 7.

But my personal preference is Windows 7.

#3 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:44 AM

I read one msnbc that a year after Windows 7's release, 66% still cling to the old system. If you are a Windows XP user then please post here that which thing is preventing you from the upgrade?

Almost one year after the introduction of Windows 7, it appears that the hype has faded. The overall market share of Windows has turned into a slight decline again. Windows 7 is gaining share, but it cannot keep pace with the loss of Windows XP and Vista. Especially Windows XP users seem to be happy with what they have and appear to be rather resistant to Microsoft's pitches that it is time to upgrade to Windows 7.

They make this sound as if XP's market share isn't tanking as well. It's at the lowest it's been in years and continues to decline.

#4 Kalphite

Kalphite

ycsoft®

• 184 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:34 AM

I don't think you should be surprised when basically 90% of chinese windows users (99% market share) use windows xp, accounting for at most 1/5 of the population, and yes they still do. It's declining though, but ever so slowly...

Edited by Kalphite, 06 October 2010 - 02:36 AM.

#5 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:11 AM

Change the survey so we can vote for more than 1 thing because I had xp on my old laptop because of it was crap so xp was better cuz it used low system resources, but now I use Windows 7...

#6 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

I still use XP and I have no plans to move to 7. The main reason is "If XP gives me all I need, why should I change it?". The second one is that most of the programs I use ( 2/3 of them are portable ) don't work well or don't work at all with Vista/7.

#7 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

I think windows XP users are just plain skeptical and afraid of change, even if it is really for the better (such as windows 7). This thread should be renamed to: "Most Windows Users Still can't be simply bothered and choose to remain oblivious". :lol:

and besides, windows XP took 10 years to reach that stage. Windows 7, after 10 years, in 2020 we might see threads on winmatrix saying "Most Windows Users Still Run Windows 7 even after nearly 2 years of Windows 2018's release".

Edited by FalseAgent, 06 October 2010 - 02:20 PM.

#8 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

I use 7, but i have lots of family members that still use XP, mainly due to them thinking it "works just fine" and they are not willing to buy new hardware. I really doubt the old hardware could handle 7 or Vista.

#9 ThoriumKnight

ThoriumKnight

New WinMatrixian

• 34 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

Windows 7, after 10 years, in 2020 we might see threads on winmatrix saying "Most Windows Users Still Run Windows 7 even after nearly 2 years of Windows 2018's release".

I've been thinking that too lol.

#10 littleman91

littleman91

WinMatrixian

• 138 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

It's normal, when those people will need to get a new computer they will get their windows 7.

#11 M!W

M!W

Active WinMatrixian

• 306 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:05 AM

I voted for using XP because of low system ressources.

I don't need Windows anymore for my daily work. I just use Windows 7 to play a Windows only game, that doesn't run with Wine every other week.

But somethimes I do need Windows to do a little work, mostly when I get Photoshop files that don't work with Gimp. I compared Windows XP and Windows 7 in VirtualBox and Windows XP needs far less ressources and Windows 7 has not a single feature that I improves my work experience! Everything runs slower compared to XP!

So that might be the reason why most people still use XP: They don't need the features of Windows 7 and their computers might be old but working with XP! For Windows 7 they would have to upgrade their hardware but they don't want that!
In fact the number of 66% might be to low, I know many people who buy a computer with Windows 7 and downgrade to XP!

#12 netbox

netbox

Customizer

• 380 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:46 AM

i am using dual boot xp and 7...
but i use xp more often than 7 coz my system is low in resources,
i have only 768mb ram and 1.5ghz p4 processor, thats why.
but windows 7 in my pc is working good with aero and other stuffs, but not that fast as xp w/ my machine.
if i can afford to upgrade then windows 7 will be my only os in my pc...

#13 ayoshi

ayoshi

Active WinMatrixian

• 722 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

My "I DON'T USE WINDOWS XP" comes with a qualifier.

As a tech, I don't have much choice in the matter.

Most business environments have applications (or entire suites of applications) for XP.
Or they simply refuse to pay for the large number of licenses required to upgrade entire organizations. (Usually both)

That being said, I do have XP on a partition on my home machine simply because
some old games that I am still fond of don't play nicely with Windows 7.

But my personal preference is Windows 7.

I agree on to it. But I use my Windows 7 as my primary OS ^^,

#14 Guest_Andeew_*

Guest_Andeew_*

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:23 AM

i have managed to install windows 7 with aero on a 1.6 ghz duo 512mb ram laptop. it ran well and if that can run it almost any computer within ten years ago can run it fine. If you plan carefully what you install on a single core netbook windows 7 will run fine as well.

Hardware is no excuse for xp users.

I personally still use Windows 98, 2000, XP and 7.

But 7 is by far the best, and its features should be given a go.

#15 Dan12

Dan12

WinMatrixian

• 190 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

My old Pc is running Windows Xp because windows XP doesn't requires a lot resources..
I'm using my new PC now with Windows 7 running and I missed the interface that Xp got.. :)

#16 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

Windows 2000 Professional is my personal favorite, but Windows 7 is my primary OS, the reason for that is that is obvious. :rolleyes:

#17 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

my old notebook still has xp in it. its not that bad though.

#18 alexlloyd54

alexlloyd54

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

I have few PCs (a Desktop & 4 laptops)

Desktop running Windows XP (Pentium 4)

Laptop running Windows XP (Pentium 4)

Laptop running Windows Vista ultimate (Core 2 Due)

Laptop running Windows 7 home Premium (x64) (Intel i7)

Old IBM thinkpad laptop running Windows 2000 (Pentium II)

Personally, I prefer the windows XP more than the others, i find it faster and takes less resources

#19 acmz123

acmz123

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:27 AM

I'm using XP now, though it seems WIn7 is really faster than XP. I thing I'm too lazy to change it, by the way Ein7 is really expensive!!!

#20 Peter Buchner

Peter Buchner

New WinMatrixian

• 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

xp is much more user friendly,i have a lot of friends they go back from w7 to xp.ok for gamer w7 is a littel faster thats all but im not a gamer only my kids :lol: hey you like my desktop xp with alienware??Posted Image :whistle:

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!