Photo
- - - - -

iPhone 4 - out of the frying pan into the fire!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 575 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

iPhone 4 - out of the frying pan into the fire!

iPhone 4 gets in to more trouble as the brand new iPhone 4 caught on fire while charging it using the Apple USB cable. The cable, usb port and the users hand all were burnt. The phone is now unrepairable and AT&T agreed to exchange the device for a new one. An Apple store confirmed that this was caused by defective USB port. The signal reception issue is not over yet and another hardware issue like this is literally going to put the iPhone 4 from 'out of the frying pan into the fire!'.

Posted Image

Source

#2 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

WOW! The signal problem was blown out of proportion and this is an hardware issue that happens because nothing is perfect. Bottom line, the iPhone is still an phenomenal device. Just another day in the media.

Nothing new just the same old phases of MEDIA:

1. Expectation builds on the new product.
2. The word is out that it's coming.
3. Try to get the first scoop on it.
4. It's released and blow it up!
5. Find whatever you can about it that isn't perfect and try to ruin it if you can.
6. Find something similar to compare it too that doesn't even beat it just to get people to read your news.
7. repeat

Posted Image

Edited by yanike, 12 July 2010 - 07:17 PM.

#3 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:42 PM

WOW! The signal problem was blown out of proportion and this is an hardware issue that happens because nothing is perfect. Bottom line, the iPhone is still an phenomenal device. Just another day in the media.

5. Find whatever you can about it that isn't perfect and try to ruin it if you can.
6. Find something similar to compare it too that doesn't even beat it just to get people to read your news.
7. repeat

Posted Image

The signal problem was not blown out of proportion it damn near affected every device.

Hell you could see the problem when Ars was reviewing iMovie for the iPhone 4.

The sob story you're telling us seems as if it could be applied to Vista as well could it not?

#4 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

7. repeat

Posted Image

Yanike, put your fanboism aside for just a moment please! The iPhone's signal issue is real, it affects nearly every device, and the science behind it is simple, yet Steve Jobs didn't even think about how the hand will short them out. A simple oversight that should not have been there from the beginning. It is also greatly known that Apple devices have exploded in the past such as the iPods, which makes me wonder why this continues to happen.

Edited by Frylock86, 12 July 2010 - 07:47 PM.

#5 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:38 PM

Read this on another site, but yeah.

It's an isolated incident. Any device with current running through it has the possiblity to explode.

Defects happen, get over it.

If it were an EVO no one would care much, thing is Apple gets a lot of lime light for some stupid reason, so for anything going wrong, it's a big thing.

Now, if it was similar to the Dell (not 100% sure) iirc laptop batteries that were blowing up left and right, then yes it would be important news, but this is isolated...

-
And Yanike, give it a rest, seriously it's getting old, go sign up on Macworld and throw your fanboism around.

#6 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

7. repeat

Posted Image

Yanike, put your fanboism aside for just a moment please!

The sob story you're telling us seems as if it could be applied to Vista as well could it not?

It's not fanboism. Some people have tested holding the device the same why as on youtube videos and nothing happened. Some of the reports are mainly coming from places with lots of Wifi users and AT&T users. Yes, it's odd that the issue exist, but if others are reporting that they aren't getting this problem then maybe it's something other than what was blown out by the media.

LOL! No. Vista was horrible, great ideas and potential, but horrible. This is an hardware issues not software, except for the signal which Apple thinks its software related and media thinks it's hardware related.

iPhoneOS is VERY stable in it's environment compared to Vista. Vista didn't work great at all and even with the machines it was supposed to work on didn't play well with some of the machine's hardware.

Edited by yanike, 12 July 2010 - 10:20 PM.

#7 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:10 PM

And Yanike, give it a rest, seriously it's getting old, go sign up on Macworld and throw your fanboism around.

The only thing getting old is your hate towards Apple. I'm just defending them like anyother tech company when stupid things are brought up to damage a product. I will defend this like I would the Samsung Galaxy and other great devices if stupid crap is brought up.

So again, stop with instant tagging. If you don't want to welcome all comments then don't post. Y'all say the same to me all the time to accept bad with the good.

It's like y'all can dish it, but can't take it.

All Windows sites, including Macs and others, are all biased. You can't expect anything good to come from a Windows site about Mac unless it's posted by someone that respects both and sees the real pros and cons. Every site is against one another instead of being all tech and speaking the truth.

-----------------------------
(Maybe this post would have been to your liking if I had the same Apple hatrid as you)

See, this device is crap. Nothing good comes from Apple. The iPhone isn't revolutionary, doesn't offer anything new AT ALL and it's cheap technology blown up by Steve Jobs. I feel sorry for all the idiots that bought this, which is millions of people. I can't wait to see the new Windows Mobile phone. Unlike Kin, the greatest invention of all time, it's gonna be great and Microsoft won't kill it after a few weeks.

Edited by yanike, 12 July 2010 - 10:26 PM.

#8 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

LOL! No. Vista was horrible, great ideas and potential, but horrible. This is an hardware issues not software, except for the signal which Apple thinks its software related and media thinks it's hardware related.

iPhoneOS is VERY stable in it's environment compared to Vista. Vista didn't work great at all and even with the machines it was supposed to work on didn't play well with some of the machine's hardware.

Vista is old, Windows 7 is the current OS, almost everyone that had Vista moved on, just because Microsoft screwed up doesn't give Apple the right of way.

The only thing getting old is your hate towards Apple. I'm just defending them like anyother tech company when stupid things are brought up to damage a product. I will defend this like I would the Samsung Galaxy and other great devices if stupid crap is brought up.

I don't harbor any hatred towards Apple (other than pricing for their desktop systems, but that's irrelevant here), I own (and love) my 16gb iPhone 3GS. I honestly wouldn't trade it away.

If you read my post, I never bashed Apple, I actually dismissed the fact that shit happens, and a rare occurrence is rare, and there for has no true reason to be put in the spotlight. So one blew up? Big deal, if my DSi or my printer blew up would it get instant news coverage? I highly doubt it unless shrapnel hit me and I decided to sue.. or something stupid.

As I said before, I'll just say (type) it again because I love my keyboard... it was an isolated incident and shit happens, ATT even offered to replace it at no cost, I don't see why this is such a big deal. Now the whole antenna issue, thats different. Needless to say, I'm glad I stuck with my 3GS and am eagerly awaiting iPhone 5.

At least read before you flame around.

#9 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

At least read before you flame around.

I read it fully. this comment:

"And Yanike, give it a rest, seriously it's getting old, go sign up on Macworld and throw your fanboism around."

Was uncalled for. I wasn't being an fanboy at all. I was arguing that this is stupid and just MEDIA attention to damage an great product and company.

By the way, I'm typing this from Windows 7. No lie, if Microsoft put the spitting finish to their products and made it just as stable and fast as my hackintosh I would probably use Windows fulltime. Still that's not what the truth is now and that's why I love (not like an fanboy) Apple products. It's said that an OS (Windows) that's made and maintenanced by big companies doesn't run as great as an OS (My awesome hackintosh) that is made by an big company and maintenanced majority by an online community (Patches to make it work on your computer) and big companies (Apple with it's updates and other big companies).

Edited by yanike, 12 July 2010 - 10:41 PM.

#10 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:16 PM

It's not fanboism. Some people have tested holding the device the same why as on youtube videos and nothing happened. Some of the reports are mainly coming from places with lots of Wifi users and AT&T users. Yes, it's odd that the issue exist, but if others are reporting that they aren't getting this problem then maybe it's something other than what was blown out by the media.

Lol, Yanike dont bring Vista into this. We're talking phones :P (fanboys do that and I think higher of you) And Vista didn't suck, MS just put too much faith in the Users willingness to upgrade their pc's for a new OS.

Anyways, the attenae problem was not blown out of proportion. EVERY phone is affected it's just that not every user can reproduce the problem. It is such a big deal because Apple tried to pin the blame on the end user. This was almost the first iphone apple did right even though it is hardly revolutionary.

I'm sure you would enjoy this little article
http://www.engadget....lems-and-so-do/

They've tested several iphones and EVERY iphone they're tested suffered, Apple has recently admitted that it is infact a production defect and they are responsible for the problem.

I love OSX, but I hate their restrictive hardware. I think the iphone played a huge role in pushing the Smartphone market ahead, even if Android OS was around longer then iOS. Apple has been taking advantage of end users' ignorance more and more lately and I can safely say I will never buy another Apple product if they dont change.

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 12 July 2010 - 11:29 PM.

#11 psycho ;)

psycho ;)

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

vista was an os. it worked perfectly on my computer. its not the Operating system its the user. your pretty funny yanike (not).
if your so Knowledgeable why dont you work with apple? lmao (ps. you will make them loose $$$)

MICROSOFT MAKES YOUR LIFE EASIER GIVING YOU AN OPERATING SYSTEM
THAT YOU CAN GET WITH AS LITTLE AS $100.00 dollars.

and by the way macs' is designed over UNIX windows its not >:]

if you know how to work a computer you will never get any problems :devil:
you shouldn't get offended i'm just backing up (in my opinion of what i see and hear) 89%
of windows users over 5% of mac users jajaja

ps: the other 5% is linux or other distros >:DD

and by the way.. my iphone 4g its not an iphone anymore it suckzzz its my new ipod :whistle: :whistle: :rolleyes:

(please dont get offended this is to yanike, and ONE THING. I know windows its not perfect but its great :D)

Attached Files

#12 psycho ;)

psycho ;)

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:23 PM

Lol, Yanike dont bring Vista into this. We're talking phones :P (fanboys do that and I think higher of you) And Vista didn't suck, MS just put too much faith in the Users willingness to upgrade their pc's for a new OS.

Anyways, the attenae problem was not blown out of proportion. EVERY phone is affected it's just that not every user can reproduce the problem. It is such a big deal because Apple tried to pin the blame on the end user. This was almost the first iphone apple did right, however, it is hardly revolutionary.

I'm sure you would enjoy this little article
http://www.engadget....lems-and-so-do/

They've tested several iphones and EVERY iphone they're tested suffered, Apple has recently admitted that it is infact a production defect and they are responsible for the problem. Apple has been taking advantage of end users' ignorance more and more lately and I can safely say I will never buy another Apple product if they dont change.

exactly :D here's my opinion of iphone 4
Attached File  l_ed1a2eb99cbd4cd29b9d1706eb1af2b3.jpg   32.03K   0 downloads

#13 Airflow

Airflow

wolfriA

• 796 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:14 AM

Yanike, macward66 is waiting for you.

Gizmodo is just trying to pin Apple down.. but the antennae issue wasn't overblown. Don't need to explain, because the other many posts trying to put your fanboism (if that is a word) at ease.

#14 Nick Karstedt

Nick Karstedt

WinMatrixian

• 123 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:11 AM

Delicate...
50% of buyers are satisfied with their purchase... on an iPhone fan site...
Facedialing (..not a good thing)
Weaker signal strength than the 3gs (Without the death hold)
Data issues
Companies OTHER THAN APPLE compensating for the antenna design flaw
3% android crossover, 6% blackberry. Seems like only previous iPhone users bought the iPhone
Apple's 'response'
Consumer reports says no way: reccomends duct tape
iPhone catches fire (Alt. link)

Yanike, do you even HAVE an iPhone 4 or extensively used one? The only thing I like about this phone is the screen. I can understand why people like the software, though it's definitely not for me. It's graphics capability is impressive (Though blown away by the Samsung Galaxy S line.

Phone hardware comparison (Via lifehacker)

Oh, and Munkypoo7,
You'll probably only have to wait for the iPhone 4GS :P

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:11 AM

I come to this forum just to read yanike's posts. And I lol each time. This is even better than the trolls/fanboys on macrumors.

#16 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:18 AM

Even Apple Holds it wrong! O.o

Posted Image

#17 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

Yanike, do you even HAVE an iPhone 4 or extensively used one?

No. I don't own any AT&T mobile device. I have their internet service, but use anyother service for my mobile phone. I love my BlackBerry, but will be looking to get the Samsung Epic 4G for Sprint as my long time mobile device when it comes out. Would went with iPhone, but AT&T mobile service sucks balls sorry.

I've just read (mainly blogs I check daily) and even seen videos of people not having signal issues from holding the device.

Here's some videos, since some like to talk smack about the iPhone issues:

I just think it's certain areas and other things causing the problems. Who knows... maybe a lot of buggy phones went out and those were the ones reported. Still, not every phone and everyone is having this problem. Not all phones have this issue. My friend will be getting the 4G soon. I will play with it when I get time to see if his iPhone has the same problem.

Also, even after the user, talked about in the first post, burnt his hand, iPhone and USB Cable, he still wanted another one. Just shows how great the phone is. Even the user knew that everything isn't perfect.

Also, speaking of BlackBerry here's another BB 6 preview:

Edited by yanike, 13 July 2010 - 08:46 AM.

#18 Guest_sandz_*

Guest_sandz_*

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

Guys as far as i know none of the phones prior to this one bursted into flames before...even if this is an isolated incident, still it happened once means it can happen again...

Just imagine yourself sleeping at nigh with ur iphone charging in the next room....suddenly u wake up and find ur self caught with ur house in flames...dunno about any of u guys...but i gives me the shivers.

just a simple question....afte hearing this, how many of u are goin to sleep well at night laving u iphone charging ???

#19 aeroaddict

aeroaddict

New WinMatrixian

• 35 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

Guys as far as i know none of the phones prior to this one bursted into flames before...even if this is an isolated incident, still it happened once means it can happen again...

Just imagine yourself sleeping at nigh with ur iphone charging in the next room....suddenly u wake up and find ur self caught with ur house in flames...dunno about any of u guys...but i gives me the shivers.

just a simple question....afte hearing this, how many of u are goin to sleep well at night laving u iphone charging ??? :unsure:

#20 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

moral of the story: never mess with the media. :lol: (i'm pretty sure Gizmodo is bent on poking Apple where it hurt right now)

Apple could do with some better Public Relations.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!