How Good is the Intel HD Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:24 PM

So I'm buying a laptop this summer and I've been looking around. I found this one laptop that's right for me, but the one thing that's concerning me is the Intel HD Graphics. I know in the past, Intel had garbage graphic card. But I want to know if it's right for me.

I'm not a gamer or anything, but sometimes I'll play some light games (Counter Strike and maybe TF2 in the future). I may do some very little photoshop, but other than that, I don't really care. I read that it can do HD videos (720p), but I want your opinions if it is an ok graphics card.

#2 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

Yes, Intel is still garbage when it comes to gaming. Avoid it if you can. If you must go integrated, look for an ATi HD 3200/4200, or an Nvidia 9400M or 340M (I believe).

#3 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

Yes, Intel is still garbage when it comes to gaming. Avoid it if you can. If you must go integrated, look for an ATi HD 3200/4200, or an Nvidia 9400M or 340M (I believe).

Yea but I'm not gaming, so would it be ok for very very light gaming once in a while (and games that do not require high specs) and multimedia purposes.

#4 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:25 AM

Yea but I'm not gaming, so would it be ok for very very light gaming once in a while (and games that do not require high specs) and multimedia purposes.

My friend has a fairly new laptop, it has intel HD integrated graphics.

Just for kicks my friend installed steam and TF2, it chugged along at 4fps at the bare minimum settings. In windowed mode even, at the smallest resolution possible. His IGP also stutters on some flash games, like Bloons TD 4. Look into a discrete graphics option if you even think of a game running on it, preferrable on with nVidia's Optimus so you can have battery life of more than 3 hours.

#5 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:53 AM

hmm damn - the HP laptop I wanted is from the US HP site (hp.com) (AMD graphics so it should be ok), and I don't think they deliver to Canada. HP Canada has a similar laptop, basically same specs but Intel HD graphics.

Edited by hab, 09 July 2010 - 12:58 AM.

#6 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:45 AM

hmm damn - the HP laptop I wanted is from the US HP site (hp.com) (AMD graphics so it should be ok), and I don't think they deliver to Canada. HP Canada has a similar laptop, basically same specs but Intel HD graphics.

Intel HD is good for just that. The bare minimum to run 1080p HD.

#7 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

you can only do two things with Intel's HD graphics: Run areo and play HD video.

#8 K.L.Devine

K.L.Devine

Active WinMatrixian

• 898 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:38 AM

Don't buy it if you want to play games on it.

#9 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 575 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:56 PM

Intel's Graphics are of stone age.

#10 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

Seems you don't understand. The frequency of how often you want to play games is irrelevant. I hardly consider TF2 "light" and while CSS is 6 years old, it is continually updated (it was just moved to the latest version of the Source engine, for instance), so I would hardly consider it "light" as well. Maybe you can bump CSS down to DX8.1, lower the resolution to the minimum, lower all the setting to the minimum and be able to play with 8-16 people.

What I'm telling you is to look at other options. I'm not recommending anything that powerful, or necessarily more expensive, just better.

#11 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

Seems you don't understand. The frequency of how often you want to play games is irrelevant. I hardly consider TF2 "light" and while CSS is 6 years old, it is continually updated (it was just moved to the latest version of the Source engine, for instance), so I would hardly consider it "light" as well. Maybe you can bump CSS down to DX8.1, lower the resolution to the minimum, lower all the setting to the minimum and be able to play with 8-16 people.

What I'm telling you is to look at other options. I'm not recommending anything that powerful, or necessarily more expensive, just better.

To tell you the truth, the only games I play right now are Counter Strike 1.6 and Portal - can it at least handle that? But you're right, there's probably no chance of playing TF2

#12 ayoshi

ayoshi

Active WinMatrixian

• 722 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

Is it good for new version of Adobe photoshop and 3D rendering softwares? just asking... :huh:

#13 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

To tell you the truth, the only games I play right now are Counter Strike 1.6 and Portal - can it at least handle that? But you're right, there's probably no chance of playing TF2

It can play CS 1.6. You will have to turn all the setting down on Portal and run it on the lowest resolution, and it will still run piss poor.

Is it good for new version of Adobe photoshop and 3D rendering softwares? just asking... :huh:

No. Photoshop will run, but it will not benefit from any GPU acceleration, and it probably won't be fun on large products. 3D Rendering Software will be painfully slow.

I don't understand why people don't seem to understand this. Intel's integrated graphics aren't meant for anything past watching the occassional movie (depending on what version you get will depend on it's capabilities), word processing, and Internet browsing. Why do you think they're found in cheap and/or small laptops? If you want something better, look at anything with an AMD/ATi or Nvidia product in it.

#14 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

Seems like the Intel HD Graphics is a deal breaker - I'll prob have to go after the more expensive models

EDIT: Is there a site where I can compare graphics cards (I wanna compare ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 [switchable] to NVIDIA G 105 M)

Edited by hab, 09 July 2010 - 09:11 PM.

#15 Guest_Kris_*

Guest_Kris_*

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:32 AM

Seems like the Intel HD Graphics is a deal breaker - I'll prob have to go after the more expensive models

EDIT: Is there a site where I can compare graphics cards (I wanna compare ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 [switchable] to NVIDIA G 105 M)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

#16 Guest_ImMapling_*

Guest_ImMapling_*

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:40 AM

What if you want to play maplestory on it is that ok?

#17 Guest_James_*

Guest_James_*

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

Nope guys, just saying.
I have a laptop
2 g ram
1.07 ghz maz 1.7 ghz
Intel HD graphics.
I can run portal, TF2, CSS, GMOD FULL settings runs good framerate w. 30 people.
Ive played it also full screen 30 people TF2.
Its good, i mean, you can lower the graphics to make it BETTER, but i find it runs good

#18 Chris Bletch

Chris Bletch

New WinMatrixian

• 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:41 AM

bump...

Edited by Chris Bletch, 28 February 2011 - 06:58 AM.

#19 Chris Bletch

Chris Bletch

New WinMatrixian

• 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:56 AM

computer specs

toshiba satelite a665

processor i3

hrddrive 500gb

mem 4gb
graphics is the intel hd graphics

i play big games call of duty unreal tourny 3 black garrys mod css and tf2 all latest versions WOW all of these are played on max specs i have good frame rate... generally 150-200 avrage... peaks at 300... the only game ive had a problem is battle field badcompany2
hope a extra 4gb or ram in this thing will help out the game... if not i need it for some video editing any way

i also run the newest versions of coreldraw and autocad no problems there....

Edited by Chris Bletch, 28 February 2011 - 06:59 AM.

#20 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:17 AM

computer specs

toshiba satelite a665

processor i3

hrddrive 500gb

mem 4gb
graphics is the intel hd graphics

i play big games call of duty unreal tourny 3 black garrys mod css and tf2 all latest versions WOW all of these are played on max specs i have good frame rate... generally 150-200 avrage... peaks at 300... the only game ive had a problem is battle field badcompany2
hope a extra 4gb or ram in this thing will help out the game... if not i need it for some video editing any way

i also run the newest versions of coreldraw and autocad no problems there....

you can't be serious.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!