Satelite wreaking havoc above us

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Peter Pan

Peter Pan

WinMatrixian

• 64 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

A communications satelite named Galaxy 15 lost contact with ground control after a solar flare probably fried it's brains.Attempts from Earth to contact the satellite have been unsuccessful. But instead of just dying and drifting off, the satellite has continued to orbit the Earth, even though it refuses to receive instructions from its owner, Intelsat.The satellite is still on, with its "C-band telecommunications payload still functioning even as it has left its assigned orbital slot of 133 degrees west longitude 36,000 kilometers over the equator." Translation: Not good. What's confounding scientists is that even though the satellite is toast, it continues to operate at full power, but with nobody telling it what to do.It's interrupting several other signals transmitted by other stelites!
Source: Satelite wreaking havoc

Wasn't sure where to post this so decided to post it here. It's nothing directly computer-related but it's cool anyway.

#2 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:56 PM

That is wierd that power continues to flow even after it's fried. I'm guessing since it's solar powered the power supply circuitry or whatever is still functioning. It must be entertaining trying to maintainance that thing :P

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!