Opera alerts EU to hidden Windows browser-ballot screen

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Gragier_521

Gragier_521

WinMatrixer

• 1,785 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

Opera has informed the European Union that the browser-ballot screen Microsoft introduced to Windows so users could pick a browser rather than take Internet Explorer by default is being almost completely hidden by a set of 10 IE configuration screens.

Posted Image

The fear is that PC users will click through these screens and won't bother to then pick one of the five browsers on offer on the browser ballot screen. The ballot offers Chrome, Firefox, Opera, IE, and Safari.

Source

#2 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

The topic title is wrong.. by that you mean that Opera alerts EU to make the ballot screen hidden, confusing :P

Well.. this is just ridicilous by Opera... 

#3 maac

maac

Mr Smiley

• Validating
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

Omg this is why I don't use Opera. Somebody make them shut up...

#4 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

Microsoft should remove Opera from that list. This is just ridiculous.

#5 USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,787 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

What they re doing wrong? Microsoft is forcing Internet Explorer on everyone. This is Opera's survival tactics.

#6 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

What they re doing wrong? Microsoft is forcing Internet Explorer on everyone. This is Opera's survival tactics.

They're not forcing IE on anyone. Everyone has a choice- it's just that most don't care that they do.

#7 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 575 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

Opera is a very good browser. They deservs to be in that ballot screen

#8 Guest_geekON_*

Guest_geekON_*

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

What a shame on opera. I'll never use again any piece of soft from them. Childish squealers

#9 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

POPULAR

Opera for cryin out loud. Shut up and go away. No one, and I mean NO ONE is going to use a browser built by a bunch of cry babies who are upset that they're not getting free advertising from Microsoft.

#10 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

This is a rare scenario that only happens when IE is set as a default browser but never configured for use.

Opera STFU please.

#11 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:08 AM

f**k opera dude, theres nothing they can do about that. IE is designed to have that pop up for first time users. I honestly wanna go burn opera to the ground now :devil:

Opera, you build a computer OS, make it stable and get it 70%+ market share then talk

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 05 April 2010 - 02:11 AM.

#12 Dan12

Dan12

WinMatrixian

• 190 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:54 AM

Opera is a very good browser. They deservs to be in that ballot screen

yeah you're right..

#13 Som

Som

Som

• 448 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

i use opera as my main browser but their attitude is seriously putting me off them

#14 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

I honestly wanna go burn opera to the ground now :devil:

So much hate and anger over something so STUPID. A legal issue that doesn't affect you, and you're raging so hard about it.

Opera, you build a computer OS, make it stable and get it 70%+ market share then talk

Irrelevant. Implying that they should put themselves in MS's shoes makes no logical sense. What MS has been doing in the past was deemed illegal due to tying, as I've explained in previous threads. Opera putting themselves in MS's shoes would do nothing to change the current situation.

It's like a rich person telling a poor person to put themselves in the rich person's shoes when it comes to charity. Doing so does nothing to help their current situation.

#15 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

So much hate and anger over something so STUPID. A legal issue that doesn't affect you, and you're raging so hard about it.

Irrelevant. Implying that they should put themselves in MS's shoes makes no logical sense. What MS has been doing in the past was deemed illegal due to tying, as I've explained in previous threads. Opera putting themselves in MS's shoes would do nothing to change the current situation.

It's like a rich person telling a poor person to put themselves in the rich person's shoes when it comes to charity. Doing so does nothing to help their current situation.

If you read the article you would see that this is a rare occurrence requiring someone to set IE as the default browser but not go through the configuration menu.

Opera is bitching out of spite and it quite frankly is starting to piss me off.

Edited by InlineSkate, 05 April 2010 - 04:56 PM.

#16 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:19 AM

If you read the article you would see that this is a rare occurrence requiring someone to set IE as the default browser but not go through the configuration menu.

Opera is bitching out of spite and it quite frankly is starting to piss me off.

I read it. Had you read what I said, I'm wondering why any of you care? Do you work with MS? Do you profit from them? Maybe I just have a busier life than some of you other people, where I have WAY more important things to worry about then 2 companies use the EU for a little spat that will inevitable amount to nothing in yours or my life.

#17 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:24 PM

I kid, this is why I used a foolish emoticon, and posted such a light hearted comment. I know this has nothing to do with me, you should take me
much less serious than you do. :lol:

You picked on both parts of my post, now I feel I have to voice my opinion <_<

Thats a poor anology, IMO. I see it more like two people racing, and the one losing is sueing the winner for having a car designed for the track. Correct me if I am wrong :unsure:

I also dont understand why MS should be sued because the losing company files the law suit. I understand that IE is unbeatable in it's current state, but thats because so many people prefer the convenience of things 'just working' When the ballot screen pops up it's going to be closed without people looking at it anyway.

I do believe the law suit would be reasonable, only if all of the browser companies sue MS together (if that is at all possible, keep in mind my ignorance towards on the subject :blink: ) but the market share is constantly changing, firefox and chrome are constantly moving up. If they were locked in place then maybe IE could be considered a juggernaut.

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 06 April 2010 - 08:39 PM.

#18 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

Edit one sec

Edited by InlineSkate, 06 April 2010 - 10:04 PM.

#19 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

Irrelevant. Implying that they should put themselves in MS's shoes makes no logical sense. What MS has been doing in the past was deemed illegal due to tying, as I've explained in previous threads. Opera putting themselves in MS's shoes would do nothing to change the current situation.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">It's like a rich person telling a poor person to put themselves in the rich person's shoes when it comes to charity. Doing so does nothing to help their current situation.

<BR itxtvisited="1">
Tying was something that benefited people as a whole what was there before tying running to the store to get a browser off a disc? That was inconvenient and forcing that on consumers just so it was fair for those who didn't have those options is an absolutely stupid idea.

The problem with this I see is that IE is no longer a problem when this lawsuit was brought up when IE was already losing marketshare by a point or 2 of marketshare a month.

Opera is looking for a solution to their lack of marketing.

If they were doing some sort of marketing besides word of mouth then sure I could sympathise but they weren't absolutely none at all. Thats why they couldn't gain traction not because IE it was them.

No other browser had issues gaining marketshare.

#20 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

You picked on both parts of my post, now I feel I have to voice my opinion <_<

Thats a poor anology, IMO. I see it more like two people racing, and the one losing is sueing the winner for having a car designed for the track. Correct me if I am wrong :unsure:

I also dont understand why MS should be sued because the losing company files the law suit. I understand that IE is unbeatable in it's current state, but thats because so many people prefer the convenience of things 'just working' When the ballot screen pops up it's going to be closed without people looking at it anyway.

I do believe the law suit would be reasonable, only if all of the browser companies sue MS together (if that is at all possible, keep in mind my ignorance towards on the subject :blink: ) but the market share is constantly changing, firefox and chrome are constantly moving up. If they were locked in place then maybe IE could be considered a juggernaut.

Honestly, it doesn't appear that you understand what has fully been going on. Opera lodged a complaint with the EU. After that point, the ball is in the EU's court. The complaint was VERY similar to the one made in 1998/1999 when the US investigated and brought charges against anti-competitive practices for MS's tying of IE to Windows. Opera didn't exactly sue MS. It was the EU who is bringing charges against MS. Opera doesn't stand to gain any money from it.

And I don't suppose you remember, but Mozilla actually stood behind Opera's stance and complaint against MS to the EU.

No company should have to produce an OS in order to compete in another market. It's complete bullshit and it does violate anti-competitive laws. After 10 years after the US vs MS lawsuit, I still feel that the US dropped the ball on the ruling in order to save MS's ass, because the original ruling would have literally split MS up.

Tying was something that benefited people as a whole what was there before tying running to the store to get a browser off a disc? That was inconvenient and forcing that on consumers just so it was fair for those who didn't have those options is an absolutely stupid idea.

This is completely laughable. Tying exists to benefit the company doing the tying. It's and anti-competitive practice. MS ties IE to Windows so that PC manufacturers have no incentive to pay other companies the rights to use their browser.

And I don't know how long you've been involved with computers, but I guess you don't seem to recall that Mac users, back in the 90s and up to 2002 didn't have an Apple provided browser. You know what Apple did? They licensed a browser, typically Netscape and IE, and provided them on their computers. My friend in 1995 got a brand new Mac, and on it was Netscape and IE.

Nobody is arguing that a PC manufacture can't provide a browser on their PCs, but they should have a choice on who and what to use. I would have no problem if MS provided IE with retail copies of Windows either.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!