• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

Posted Image

PS3 Firmware 3.21 will be available this Thursday. It will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony is now removing this feature.

For most of you, this won’t have any impact on how you use your PS3. If you are one of the few who use the “Other OS” feature, or if you belong to an organisation that does, then you can choose not to upgrade your system. However, doing so will mean that the following features will not be available:

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat.
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later.
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings).
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later.

Playstation Blog

#2 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

I dont like this. I use Linux =( now i get angry!

#3 gergux

gergux

Pirate = Noob Human

• 363 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

Major Fail for PS3...This is was one of the reasons I purchased my ps3 :no: :angry:

#4 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

Major Fail for PS3...This is was one of the reasons I purchased my ps3  :no:  :angry:

yeah, same :(

#5 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

Once again...

image removed due to un-family like and offensive content.
post something like that again and i will ban you.

V

#6 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:14 PM

They're only doing this to remove homebrew exploits. ;)

#7 Aleksandr

Aleksandr

WinMatrixian

• 222 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:22 AM

Wow, Sony...Way to ruin it for the people. <_<

#8 Minga

Minga

Minganator

• 246 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:38 AM

a quick q...is it true that it can be hacked to run Windows Vista or Seven?

#9 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:59 AM

a quick q...is it true that it can be hacked to run Windows Vista or Seven?

I dont know if you can run it direectly, but you were always able to run windows as a virtual machine in Yellowdog. since hte hypervisor limits your performance it's kind of not worth it though.

#10 ShadowCoder

ShadowCoder

xIntegrated Technologies

• 315 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:45 AM

Once again...
<removed image>

While I totally agree with the sentiment you've shared there, I'm not sure that the image is appropriate. Please be a little more respectful of others that may be offended by that type of image on a public forum.

#11 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:37 AM

what's wrong with overcooked hotdogs?

#12 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

Now I have no regrets of buying Xbox 360.

Muahahahahahahahahaha!

#13 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

Now I have no regrets of buying Xbox 360.

Muahahahahahahahahaha!

coz you can't run linux on it already or because XBMC is still not out for 360? :P

#14 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

Once again...
<removed image>

While I totally agree with the sentiment you've shared there, I'm not sure that the image is appropriate. Please be a little more respectful of others that may be offended by that type of image on a public forum.

If you prefer the text version... :rolleyes:

Once again Sony takes a shit on the fans that supported them all these years.

Once again Sony play it's dirty game with the fans, look it from the bright side, at least they got your money, it's in good hands now, and, after copying the Wii Remote, they are now going to copy the new announced Nintendo 3DS :yes:

Edited by Dr. Doom, 30 March 2010 - 02:28 PM.

#15 ShadowCoder

ShadowCoder

xIntegrated Technologies

• 315 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Like I said in my comment, I don't agree with what Sony is doing. Fact of the matter is though, I would wager most people don't even use the other os function of the ps3. But I don't want to come onto what used to be a respected forum and see images(animated or not) of an ass shitting on people. If any of you posted in that thread about "this forum is a ghost town", it's behavior and responses like the ones above to my comment that have driven away most of the old valued members of WinMatrix. Grow up a bit people.

That's the last I have to say in the matter.

#16 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

Ahh, you just have to love those fanboys... :rolleyes:

Read the top 21 stupid Sony quotes:
http://nmgamer.blogs...ony-quotes.html :ph34r:

Edited by Dr. Doom, 30 March 2010 - 04:53 PM.

#17 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:12 AM

Well, two more days til this rumor/joke is comfirmed. I wont believe it until I see it... expecially since Sony promised they wouldn't remove the feature and the update is on April 1st

#18 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:27 AM

Hold your horses guys! Geohot is gonna crack the update! :D

In case you hadn't heard, there's a PlayStation 3 firmware update coming this Thursday that'd knock out the "install other OS" option and remove any currently-installed non-PS3 platform. Our guess is it's not going to affect the majority of owners, but the diehard users are certainly up in arms, and no one really likes losing a feature, even if it's rarely used. Leave it to Geohot, then, to right the wrong. Arguably the reason for Sony's reversal (see: PS3 exploit), the famed hacker has published not only a letter of sorrow at the company (unsurprising), but also a call for users not to update. Instead, he claims he will "look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support" and issued a tech-savvy threat about "touching the CFW," much to the company's chagrin (trust us, you don't even want to know what he's talking about here -- far too scary). We wouldn't normally say a war's brewing, but ol' George Hotz has proven himself more than capable at starting something fierce.

http://www.engadget....afe-way-around/

#19 RickSOLET

RickSOLET

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,793 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

^ Custom firmware?

#20 K.L.Devine

K.L.Devine

Active WinMatrixian

• 898 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

This is what will happen if you decline the "upgrade"

• It will be impossible to play PS3 games online.
  • It will be impossible to play new PS3 games.
  • It will be impossible to watch new Blu-ray videos.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!