Photo
- - - - -

This forum is a ghost town! I have a solution!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

We need something on this forum to spur discussion and activeness on this forum.

My suggestion is a news bot that picks up RSS feeds from other tech sites like ARS, C|Net, Neowin and etc.

This forum can literally go a day and have only 10 people post all day it's crazy.

Edited by InlineSkate, 24 March 2010 - 07:52 PM.

#2 Xyrfo

Xyrfo

WinMatrixian

• 160 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

The real problem:

917 active user(s) (in the past 30 minutes)
22 members, 894 guests, 1 anonymous users | Show by: Last Click or Member Name

#3 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:48 PM

Yep major problem on more than just this site - my solution would be to lock the site down to members only and give the guests only 1 forum to visit without logging in

Site owners most likely dont care about the issue as guests make as much money as members when it comes to adverts pay per click etc

Edited by Phenom II, 25 March 2010 - 10:20 AM.

#4 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:01 PM

I try to post news every once in awhile. Anonther site, consolespot has designated news posters that can post front page news. They are appointed by admins because they're trusted. They post as much news as possible and as fully as possible, that keeps discussion going. I like the RSS bot idea.

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 24 March 2010 - 09:01 PM.

#5 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:21 AM

....or give limited amount of forum post views per day.

#6 Aleksandr

Aleksandr

WinMatrixian

• 222 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

I try to post as often as I can, but some topics just seem repetitive. The RSS bot idea should be considered though, it sounds neat. Also, I think limiting guests to only 5-10 thread views would encourage them to register to view more. Either way, the Admin still makes money off it.

Edited by Aleksandr, 25 March 2010 - 10:33 AM.

#7 Guest_Anonymously XP_*

Guest_Anonymously XP_*

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:57 PM

Yes, indeed! This forum is very much a ghost town...

Maybe it has something to do with the serious lack of decent moderators on this site. (40%)

It has alot to do with the overall attitude of the community and what it feels is worth posting or not worth posting. (30%)

Also, I think it has something to do with the overall "theme" of this forum. Customization as we knew it with older OS's such as with XP Visual Styles and Icons is now all but dead - there is very little to customize with Vista or Windows 7. (30%)

The whole online blogging community knows where to post and where not to post - this forum has a bad reputation when it comes to many issues.

I would suggest that change on many levels will contribute to changing this "ghost town" into a "thriving metropolis"

Anonymously XP

#8 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

...which can easily be bypassed by clearing your cookies, rendering it useless...

Hey guests! Just sign up! It's free! And the "account" isn't like a bank/credit card account. ;)

#9 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

Possible solution, works great on another site I visit:
When you sign up, you get to view only a few forums. After a set amount of posts (10 worked good) you were an approved member and could view all forums and download files.

#10 Aleksandr

Aleksandr

WinMatrixian

• 222 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:55 PM

Possible solution, works great on another site I visit:
When you sign up, you get to view only a few forums. After a set amount of posts (10 worked good) you were an approved member and could view all forums and download files.

If that was the limit, then we can expect a lot of spam from users trying to get to 10 posts(or set limit required). The post requirement almost never really is a success since people won't even sign in to their accounts anyway, making the servers just waste space for the 890+ guests.

#11 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:59 PM

Actually, that was the case on the website I mentioned- and they raised it to 30. The website is a lot better now, since the higher post limit encourages users to continue being an active part of the community.

#12 thorden

thorden

Active WinMatrixian

• 291 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:06 AM

I'm more of a reader. Is replying so important?
I only reply when I really have to say something.
I don't like to post f.e. Yeah, I like it. Cool. Ugly. +1

Offcourse that's just me :)

#13 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:55 AM

...which can easily be bypassed by clearing your cookies, rendering it useless...

Hey guests! Just sign up! It's free! And the "account" isn't like a bank/credit card account. ;)

Not everyone that visits this site knows about that.

#14 The Silent Warrior

The Silent Warrior

Got Orange Stars?

• 2,574 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

Some of the forums remain inactive here but I always click on "View New Content" when I visit here, and I find a decent number of new posts.

#15 PortalCake

PortalCake

Compiled the NT Source.

• 19 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

Actually, that was the case on the website I mentioned- and they raised it to 30. The website is a lot better now, since the higher post limit encourages users to continue being an active part of the community.

In any case, is that a "certain beta site" ?
We got a lot of n00bs recently who made repetitive topics. Also, loads of non-want-to-get-ftp-details spam for DVD rippers. Ugh.

#16 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

add more post stimulating facilities. comments are basically either "Wow! Awesome!" or "I have a problem blabla x78::32 ;"

what does post stimulating facility means however, is beyond my mental capacity.

#17 RickSOLET

RickSOLET

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,793 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

Wow! Awesome!

#18 RUY

RUY

Active WinMatrixian

• 682 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

my idea is to give some free things, on my side I can give rapidshare premium accounts to only registered users and I am working on it in order to continue that thread again.
I will also make a rule that a registered member with atleast 25 topics(not posts) can participate in compitition,

Another idea is that make points system. For example you can rate the topics if you are of level 3 or some other and in order to reach to level 3 you have to gain some specific amount of points for eg 250 points to reach to level 3 and in order to gain points you have to participate. just like a video game in which you make progress or another best example if yahoo answers.

Another idea is to lock featured topics and only registered users can view those topics.

Edited by RUY, 26 March 2010 - 12:07 PM.

#19 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

I think customization is not so popular anymore as it was a few years ago. This cannot be remedied.

Also there is more competition from other forums. Dunno what can make WM more attractive in comparison to the other sites. Artificial boosting of posts is no solution imho > quality before quantity.

Edited by Borix, 26 March 2010 - 01:20 PM.

#20 K.L.Devine

K.L.Devine

Active WinMatrixian

• 898 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

Automatic RSS posting is a bad idea IMO.

Edited by K.L.Devine, 26 March 2010 - 02:25 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!