Probably a stupid antivirus question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 992 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:39 AM

Is it safe to have Avira and Windows Defender turned on at the same time? I've set WD so that it doesn't scan automatically, and i'd have thought if it was a bad idea Avira would have disabled it, but still, just checking.

#2 Som

Som

Som

• 448 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

yep

#3 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 793 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

Yea thats fine, as Defender is not an AV

#4 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 574 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

Windows defender never detects any malware/adware. What it does is only updating its definitions.(I wonder what the hell is in them?) No problem in turning off automatic scanning.

If you want protection from malwares use MALWAREBYTES.

Edited by theapu, 01 March 2010 - 06:16 PM.

#5 ayoshi

ayoshi

Active WinMatrixian

• 722 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

Yeah use Avira + Malwarebytes and a decent powerful firewall :whistle:

#6 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 992 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

Is it ok that Avira turns itself off for a few seconds when it installs updates? o_O

#7 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 793 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

If an antivirus is disabled, it does not mean you are going to get infected right away, infact AVs do nothing the majority of the time, scan clean files etc, but they are there for if and when you come in contact with a virus - so in a word, yes its fine, but I doubt it completely disables itself, there will be services still running while it updates

#8 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 992 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

If an antivirus is disabled, it does not mean you are going to get infected right away, infact AVs do nothing the majority of the time, scan clean files etc, but they are there for if and when you come in contact with a virus - so in a word, yes its fine, but I doubt it completely disables itself, there will be services still running while it updates

Well the umbrella in the tray icon closes and i get a windows notification something something needs my attention then just after that Avira says it's installed updates and the umbrella opens again

#9 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 793 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

Yea, your fine, its a design of Avira, I am sure they would not leave you unprotected, but the chances of you coming into contact with a virus in that millisecond it restarts the program is very slim, but like I say, I doubt it completely disables all protection

#10 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 574 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

All antivirus disables protection when they are installing updates. These updates are of very small sizes (some KBs). The updating process takes only seconds (or less than a second). So practically no chance of infected during updating.(But Theoritically it can be)

#11 Kristain Hayes

Kristain Hayes

New WinMatrixian

• 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:47 AM

Windows Defender is a free program that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software.
You can run Windows Defender antivirus and Avira antivirus.

#12 mhunkeyz

mhunkeyz

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

Windows Defender is a free program that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software.
You can run Windows Defender antivirus and Avira antivirus.

Windows Defender Antivirus??????????? That ain't Antivirus.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!