Photo
- - - - -

Is it safe to leave laptop in sleep mode?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Nick Karstedt

Nick Karstedt

WinMatrixian

• 123 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

As for the shutting down completely thing - Windows needs to be rebooted once in a while to complete certain scheduled tasks. I would say to at least attempt to reboot once per day, but other than that, you should just sleep it for a quick launch back into the computer.

Examples please?

Windows updates. That's it. Nothing urgent and it alerts you when you have to reboot. Other than that, none scheduled maintenance needs to run boot-time.

#22 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

just curious, how many seconds do your w7 machines take to go to sleep? mine takes a good 10 seconds (with all my browser tabs open and stuff). Waking up is instantaneous though.

Edited by FalseAgent, 28 July 2010 - 05:58 PM.

#23 Guest_tisha_*

Guest_tisha_*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

when you put your laptop on sleep mode it usually is suppose to go "black" it's not entirely off ,but it's safe every page and anything that you were doing will still be there. 

#24 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:22 AM

The laptop will not have a chance to hibernate if you pull the battery out, also if its battery runs out in sleep mode, Im sure it also gives that option screen from an incorrect shutdown

I'm not sure that this was explained correctly (or: could I be that clueless, lol). From what I understand, you can set the Power Options to have the computer go to sleep and then hibernate some time later. In any case, it's not possible to have it auto-change from sleep to hibernate on complete power loss, hence the *recovery* boot screen. :-0 There are FAQs, this one (not directly related) is for Windows 7.

I do believe, however, that if you put a laptop to sleep and then unplug the charger (But keep the battery in), it will automatically start the hibernate process.

Anyways, leaving a computer in sleep mode is completely safe. All it really does is keep your PSU on, keeping low power to your motherboard so the ram doesn't blank out.
  1. That explains a lot, ok. xD
  2. Right, sleep = RAM and hibernate = stored in a file, on the HDD.

I know it is great to just close the lid and open it again, but in a long time it can cause your motherboard or hard drive (the hard drive is the most common to have problems with sleep mode) to die.

Use sleep mode at your own risk.
  1. Nah (new BIOS features and HDD safety can handle it, imo).
  2. Disclaimers are always good, hehe.

Edited by old5chool, 16 August 2013 - 01:25 AM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!