Photo
- - - - -

Is it safe to leave laptop in sleep mode?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 994 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:03 PM

The start up time annoys me, but i've read some people say they can't see anything after turning on from sleep mode. Is it safe to leave it like that and will everything work ok afterwards? And obviously it would start up alot quicker! Right?

#2 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:24 PM

If it wasn't safe, then they wouldn't have implemented it.

If you are going to leave it to sleep, make sure you save everything before hand. Because the sleep on Vista is kinda buggy. Sometimes my screen goes black aswell, like maybe 1 every 100 or so sleeps (I'm a student, so I put my laptop to sleep alot).

#3 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:25 PM

Yea there is zero problem putting your laptop in sleep mode :)

Just remember that it does use minimal battery power so dont leave it going for a few days... I learned that the hard way >.>

#4 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

Have been putting all my laptops on sleep mode since early Vista days....haven't failed me yet!

#5 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 800 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

Absolutely fine, I did it for a long time with a laptop that had a buggy graphics chip, no display from boot sometimes, so once I got it working I would just leave it in sleep mode - battery's can last a couple days if you got a good battery in sleep mode

#6 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

Sleep Mode in Vista and 7 is amazing! Your PC will automatically go into Hibernate Mode when you pull the plug out of the wall or remove the batteries.

#7 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

Sleep Mode in Vista and 7 is amazing! Your PC will automatically go into Hibernate Mode when you pull the plug out of the wall or remove the batteries.

Are you sure?
Posted Image

1. Put the laptop into Sleep mode
2. Remove the battery (and pull the plug out of the wall)
3. Now put the battery back
4. Turn it on
5. Choose Start Windows normally

#8 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 574 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

Are you sure?
Posted Image

4. Turn it on

Why did you do that to your laptop? Just to prove this??!! :o

#9 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 800 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

The laptop will not have a chance to hibernate if you pull the battery out, also if its battery runs out in sleep mode, Im sure it also gives that option screen from an incorrect shutdown

#10 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

Ye it needs some type of power source so obviously if you pull out battery and plug, something bad is gonna happen.

#11 Merforga

Merforga

Iron Man = Fe Male?

• 1,090 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

Are you sure?
Posted Image

4. Turn it on

If you remove all power sources, the argument is invalid. Sleep's description is "Keeps your session in memory and puts the computer in a low-power state". It's obviously going to have a negative effect if there is no power.

OP, Sleep mode works perfectly fine, I use it on my laptop, two desktops, and my family uses it on their laptops, we don't have any problems. Common sense dictates that you save every few minutes, and especially if you're going to be absent for an extended period of time.

#12 ayoshi

ayoshi

Active WinMatrixian

• 722 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:29 AM

Are you sure?
Posted Image

4. Turn it on

If you remove all power sources, the argument is invalid. Sleep's description is "Keeps your session in memory and puts the computer in a low-power state". It's obviously going to have a negative effect if there is no power.

OP, Sleep mode works perfectly fine, I use it on my laptop, two desktops, and my family uses it on their laptops, we don't have any problems. Common sense dictates that you save every few minutes, and especially if you're going to be absent for an extended period of time.

I agree :yes:

#13 Culprit

Culprit

I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

• 817 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:09 AM

i dont think my laptop ever gets shut down the whole way, i always use sleep mode.

#14 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:28 AM

Are you sure?
Posted Image

4. Turn it on

I think it means no AC supply but w/ batteries OR no batteries but w/ AC supply. but that doesn't mean anything either.

Sleep mode is the best way to hide while playing games during lunchtime in school.

and it looks like virtualbox.

Edited by coldemone, 15 February 2010 - 08:43 AM.

#15 Kristain Hayes

Kristain Hayes

New WinMatrixian

• 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:51 AM

As for the shutting down completely thing - Windows needs to be rebooted once in a while to complete certain scheduled tasks. I would say to at least attempt to reboot once per day, but other than that, you should just sleep it for a quick launch back into the computer.

#16 Nick Karstedt

Nick Karstedt

WinMatrixian

• 123 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:32 AM

Yeah sleep 3 (Usually enabled in BIOS by default) uses VERY little power (only 7 watts on an Acer Revo). Removing a power source entirely will ALWAYS result in an improper shutdown as well as a loss in any unsaved data. It will NOT automatically hibernate since it takes TIME to save the contents of your RAM to the harddisk for restoration upon boot.

I do believe, however, that if you put a laptop to sleep and then unplug the charger (But keep the battery in), it will automatically start the hibernate process.

It is only safe to completely remove power if the computer is fully powered down either after a shutdown or hibernate.

Anyways, leaving a computer in sleep mode is completely safe. All it really does is keep your PSU on, keeping low power to your motherboard so the ram doesn't blank out. There really isn't need to reboot all the time, unless your ram is getting fragmented or finished a WUpdate. Just reboot if it's slowing down..

Edited by Nick Karstedt, 27 July 2010 - 05:33 AM.

#17 Kalphite

Kalphite

ycsoft®

• 184 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:07 AM

Are you sure?
Posted Image

4. Turn it on

this again?, you guys still don't know about the default Hybrid Sleep option in vista?

http://www.tomstrick...-windows-vista/

Edited by Kalphite, 27 July 2010 - 08:10 AM.

#18 Laguna

Laguna

Active WinMatrixian

• 830 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

Sleep mode causes problems to electronic parts due to minimal voltage from the battery. I know it is great to just close the lid and open it again, but in a long time it can cause your motherboard or hard drive (the hard drive is the most common to have problems with sleep mode) to die. I know this because a friend of mine has a computer store, and he has lots of customers with tragic problems to their laptops due to several usage of sleep mode.

Syzygy said: "If it wasn't safe, then they wouldn't have implemented it."

If it was safe, then Shut Down wouldn't exist. ;)

Use sleep mode at your own risk.

#19 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:51 AM

As for the shutting down completely thing - Windows needs to be rebooted once in a while to complete certain scheduled tasks. I would say to at least attempt to reboot once per day, but other than that, you should just sleep it for a quick launch back into the computer.

No you can go a good week without rebooting, it depends on the variety of tasks you'r doing. I use hibernate and usually reboot every 3 days to a week. Theres always updates that force you to reboot anyway

#20 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

Examples please?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!