• 3,075 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

Screw. The. Cloud.

#23 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 575 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:21 PM

If it is a cloud based system that may be the end of pirated windows.

#24 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

Not enough people have access to broadband for it to be cloud based yet - MS would be limiting themselves to certain market, which we all know they try not to do, ever

#25 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

They should honestly leave the Cloud to Azure.

#26 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

POPULAR

8 things I want for Windows 8

1. Windows Live should be integrated and installed by default.
2. Cloud Storage only as one icon in My Computer.
3. Promised Longhorn features realized.
4. A new UI (Aero, Basic, Classic as an option available, but without the ugly High Contrast).
5. New Icons that look like the real devices that are attached to the computer (all of them).
6. Word, Excel & PowerPoint viewers installed by default.
7. Focus on stability instead of "wow" (wow = if you can't make it good, make it look good).
8. Make in 64-bit ONLY (no 32-bit, no 128-bit), then "Win9" can be 64 & 128-bit

#27 USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,787 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

^ Good suggestion.

#28 Omegatron

Omegatron

WinMatrixian

• 62 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

4. A new UI (Aero, Basic, Classic as an option available, but without the ugly High Contrast).

http://www.microsoft...ghcontrast.mspx

High Contrast is an accessibility feature designed for people who have vision impairment. High Contrast color schemes can increase legibility for some users by heightening screen contrast with alternative color combinations. Some of the schemes also change font sizes for greater legibility. This procedure tells you how to turn on High Contrast through Accessibility Options in Control Panel.

Think older generation. Not saying that all old people have bad eye sight, but I doubt Microsoft would want the PR that would be associated with cutting out such a feature.

#29 NealTheGuitarist

NealTheGuitarist

Nothing is sound

• 621 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:27 PM

I would like to see a different Kernel. I just don't care about this Aero UI anymore.

#30 Ace Starr

Ace Starr

the winmatrix addict

• 289 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

5. New Icons that look like the real devices that are attached to the computer (all of them).
7. Focus on stability instead of "wow" (wow = if you can't make it good, make it look good).

1) Honestly? I hope this doesn't happen! Ever!
2) As Frylock says, S.T.C
3) Yes, please! Especially those photo flow and other effects I kept seeing in all the longhorn videos.
4) Couldn't agree more! Who uses fugly dark High contrast anyways?
5) Yep!
6) Can't understand MS logic. It keeps bundling useless retarded programs (cough* IE cough* OE cough*) over all these years, yet haven't once come with this very useful tool out of the box.
7) Yes.
8) A great suggestion actually. If MS lets time pass, developers are gonna develop their apps for x64 and once 128 bit becomes the new standard, they will have to port once again.

#31 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:36 AM

Microsoft to come up with a vision for Windows.next is a process that is surreal!

:blink:

What does Microsoft and the Star Trek Movie franchise have in common... :whistle:

Simple Answer. Only the Odd numbers are the Good ones.
('Trek 1,3,5,7,9...etc)
('Win 1?,3,5,7, ... ect)

Old joke, but a good rule in this case.

#32 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:40 AM

ahhhh it's a load of bullocks if you ask me. I mean what's the guy gonna say it's gonna be exactly the same, just with a couple of minor speed pick ups. Realistically, he has to say it's going to be revolutionary, otherwise who the hell is gonna get the product (except pirates and beta testers)

Beta Pirate Testers? Pirating Beta Testers? Testers of Beta Pirates?

#33 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:48 AM

So lets address these issues, shall we?
1 > Live = f**k no. It will end up being like the European "default browser" thing. Always offer choice.
2 > This i can sort of agree with, I love using my Drop Box.
3 > Longhorn = dead, old ideas. realise it and get over it, there is and will be better ideas.
4 > High Contrast is there for a reason.
5 > Never gonna happen, to much hardware, artistic icons = simpler and easier, and saves MS money.
6 > Not everyone uses those. Not everyone has PowerPoint. Most people never get above Wordpad. Space Waster.
7 > I agree.
8 > Aint gonna happen, still more 32 bit PCs out there that 64 bit, it will take probably 8 more years before 64 bit Arch takes over 32 bit.

So yeah, a good amount of suggestions, but not to likley to happen. Win8 may be a good thing, but odds are, it is an uphill battle. Win2k was ok, XP made it better, Vista dropped the ball, 7 picked it up and ran with it like a Bum running after a free $100.

#34 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:30 AM

8 > Aint gonna happen, still more 32 bit PCs out there that 64 bit, it will take probably 8 more years before 64 bit Arch takes over 32 bit.

So yeah, a good amount of suggestions, but not to likley to happen. Win8 may be a good thing, but odds are, it is an uphill battle. Win2k was ok, XP made it better, Vista dropped the ball, 7 picked it up and ran with it like a Bum running after a free $100.

8 years? I give it 3-5, everyone is going to have to upgrade eventually. Every processor for sale is 64bit and all prebuilt computers are 64bit, with the exception to netbooks (which are moving to 64bit with next gen atom processors).

With the growing talk about windows 7 people are going to be upgrading their pcs for windows 7. The 64bit move might be faster than you expect.

#35 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:36 AM

Oh God, now I have to explain myself... OK

In Windows 7 there is no mail client, IM software, movie editor (any kind - even if it sucks, there has to be one). Integrating the Live Suite into the OS would provide much more usage of Microsoft services (Live Spaces for example). Not for everyone, but who uses it will appreciate it.

Again, only possible with the Live Suite integrated, as SkyDrive is one of the services. And if they want people to use the cloud, this is one smart way to do it. For europe they can make another "N" version without all that.

It was way beyond it's time, such things can easily be done on todays hardware. Sure there are some great new ideas, consider Longhorn being something like a vision.

I know that they are there for a reason, but they are ugly. Put them into the accessibility area witch is also there for a reason.

You must admit it would be cool to see the actual devices as icons. This should be part of the drivers.

Most people use Office (or openOffice if you want) 99% just to open various files that they got via e-mail, so having viewers integrated would decrease the number of pirated copy's of Office. Not entirely a solution, but it's a start.

WOW is the keyword here...

8. Make in 64-bit ONLY (no 32-bit, no 128-bit), then "Win9" can be 64 & 128-bit.
There are also 16-bit machines in use, so what? That doesn't change the fact that they suck. Why would somebody buy a new PC when he/she can't take advantage of it, the limitations of 32-bit won't be funny in 2012 when you buy a new computer and find out that you have 32GB of ram, but can use only 3GB, only a moron would do this. It's like if somebody buys today a new computer and installs Windows 3.11 on it, it's ridiculous.

#36 pataoengineer

pataoengineer

@pataoengineer

• 1,155 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:52 AM

The most vital property I need to see from Windows is actually the stability of

the system. Users has encountered this damned unsolved trouble in every version

of Windows (even Seven). Many unexpected conflict between come applications provided by

Microsoft and the OS also exists normally. That's bullshit.

I saw many embarrassing things: Sync center stops working after the Windows Update

installation, Wi-Fi fails to connect after some Windows Update installation also, etc.

#37 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:26 AM

hmm more stuff on Windows 8 @ Lifehacker: LINK

#38 richluk

richluk

WinMatrixian

• 72 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:32 AM

Windows 8

Edited by richluk, 12 February 2010 - 04:53 AM.

#39 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:14 AM

128bit will not happen for a good 30 years down the road i'll bet money on it.

#40 Omegatron

Omegatron

WinMatrixian

• 62 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:17 AM

Oh God, now I have to explain myself... OK

I know that they are there for a reason, but they are ugly. Put them into the accessibility area witch is also there for a reason.

High contrast should stay where it is, but have an option to hide it if the user has no need for it.

8. Make in 64-bit ONLY (no 32-bit, no 128-bit), then "Win9" can be 64 & 128-bit.
There are also 16-bit machines in use, so what? That doesn't change the fact that they suck. Why would somebody buy a new PC when he/she can't take advantage of it, the limitations of 32-bit won't be funny in 2012 when you buy a new computer and find out that you have 32GB of ram, but can use only 3GB, only a moron would do this. It's like if somebody buys today a new computer and installs Windows 3.11 on it, it's ridiculous.

Microsoft should make a x86, a x64 with x86 compatibility, and a x64 without x86 compatibility. That would cover the entire market.

Edited by Omegatron, 12 February 2010 - 07:18 AM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!