• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

(Ok, the inner geek in me screams, this is Way Too Cool!)

WinFile History
WinFile was the main file manager application for several operating systems. Various 16 bit version were shipped with Windows 3.1, 95, 98, and ME. Various 32 bit versions were shipped with Windows NT 3.1, 3.5, 3.51, and 4.0. The 32 bit version was usable on Windows 2000 and Windows XP by simply copying the executable and support files to the newer operating system. This process does not work with Vista, some say intentionally.

The 32 bit WinFile version correctly handled long file names, NTFS file systems, ACL editing and properly supported post-2000 year dates (none of which were available with the 16 bit version). Windows Explorer provided similar functionality and became the advertised and supported means of handling files from user interaction as of Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0.

WinFile Vista website | Direct Download Link

Posted Image

Seriously, I remember using WinFile in Windows 3.1. This is the predecessor to Explorer, and in it's day, it was the best file manager out there for windows.

Villian

#2 Guest_WolfWare_*

Guest_WolfWare_*

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

Bless you, I am a winfile disiple, have used it from the beggining and love it. Uncluttered, uncomplicated and still able to do things that Explorer should have been able to do from its introduction, but still can't. Thank you again WolfWare.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!