24 replies to this topic

#1 K.L.Devine

K.L.Devine

Active WinMatrixian

• 898 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

Posted Image
This isn't Windows XP

Ylmf OS has designed a Windows XP clone based on Ubuntu 9.10. The makers of Ylmf OS revealed that the Windows XP’s GUI was adopted in an effort to allow users of Microsoft's proprietary platform to immediately start running Ubuntu Linux without needing to adapt to a new operating system.

They moved to Ubuntu because their previous release, a pirate version of Windows XP was cracked down by Microsoft. Their entire site is in Chinese and if you navigate to the download page, there does seem to be five links to the ISO that you can download.

Ylmf.org
Downloadsquad

#2 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

thats really cool! I hope they offer more theme options, luna is fugly

#3 USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,787 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

Detailed Features in English

#4 Kalphite

Kalphite

ycsoft®

• 184 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:36 PM

Some fun YLMF Background Info:

The Chinese have always been efficient in making software for everyone to use. YLMF is 雨林木风 or YuLingMuFeng is a windows pirating group (with very good reputation amongst repair technicians in china). They made the famous GHOST XP (as in Symantec Ghost with a well-know history from windows 95 even among laymen) that everyone in china loves (because it installs windows xp in 5 minute with auto driver hardwareID recognition, install along with all you needed software in it, meaning there is no such thing as a non-downgradable-to-xp computer). They are also currently secretly working on GHOST WINDOWS 7 and I'm looking forward to it when i'm in china the next time. They basically do all the work for you in software backup, recovery, and installation of computers. BTW, in china Pirate Windows == Genuine Windows to the people.

Edited by Kalphite, 28 December 2009 - 08:50 PM.

#5 ayoshi

ayoshi

Active WinMatrixian

• 722 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:13 PM

Where is the Download Link? just kidding. :lol:

#6 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:32 PM

I dont think there is a "pirate" thing in this. They just made Ubuntu (which is free to modify) to act like XP. Making an already free os acting like something else isnt "pirate"-ing.

#7 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:39 PM

Microsoft will be right on their ass again for copyright infringements.

You can't copy the whole UI of a OS then sell it as your own.

#8 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:15 AM

Sell? :whistle:

#9 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

• 4,090 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:34 AM

You can't copy the whole UI of a OS then [correction]sellit as your own.
^
offer free download links to it[/correction]

:P

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 29 December 2009 - 12:35 AM.

#10 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:23 AM

Sell? :whistle:

sell/distribute

All means the same to copyright lawyers =P

and I mainly don't trust pirates.

Edited by InlineSkate, 29 December 2009 - 05:24 AM.

#11 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

still copyright infringements. remember how Kol got slapped with a cease and desist from MS when he did the much favored "Royale" xp msstyle? it was way to much like XPMC's style.

hope the Chinese pirate get there asses reamed just for being stupid.

and no, i am not prejudiced. oh, wait, i am. prejudiced against pirates.

#12 ShadowCoder

ShadowCoder

xIntegrated Technologies

• 315 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:15 PM

still copyright infringements. remember how Kol got slapped with a cease and desist from MS when he did the much favored "Royale" xp msstyle? it was way to much like XPMC's style.

Personally, once MS stops offering update support for XP then it shouldn't matter about this. I hear what you're saying though and until MS drops XP support fully they should probably change the GUI on this.

#13 USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,787 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

I dont think there is a "pirate" thing in this. They just made Ubuntu (which is free to modify) to act like XP. Making an already free os acting like something else isnt "pirate"-ing.

They are pirates. They first distributed cracked version of XP, when MS tracked them down then they made their own XP. :P

#14 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:29 PM

f**king pirates. may they all die of some one kidnapping them, then cutting out there kidneys and putting them on the black market. mabey then they will know what it is like to lost something that they need. money for the developers and such.

#15 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:39 PM

Personally, once MS stops offering update support for XP then it shouldn't matter about this. I hear what you're saying though and until MS drops XP support fully they should probably change the GUI on this.

So, how about this scenario. Say you, three years ago, did a UI design that took you a while to do. So three years have passed, and you still use the same UI design, and you infact make money off of it. The one day, some one does a dlatant rip-off, or a direct copy of your design. your gonna get pissed like all hell that thay are stealing pretty much that month of your life it took to design that UI, along with whatever profit you were making form it has just AT LEAST been halved.

You would wanna kill a pirate also. MS does still offer support for XP Embedded (aka Slim) that powers some standalon machines. Say, like the scan for yourself express lanes at wal-mart. I know from first hand that the OS running those machines IS XP. So MS still makes money off of it. and these guys are doing copyright infringement.

#16 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

• 4,090 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

^

This XP and YLMF situation can directly be compared to the situation with Yanike and cjk.

#17 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

I must have missed that one. what's happening with Yanike?

#18 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:56 PM

cjk did a mockup program of one of Yanike's programs. Yanike wasn't happy - and his program was also apparently copyrighted, and they had this little flame war on WM lol.

#19 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

• 4,090 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:48 AM

cjk did a mockup program of one of Yanike's programs. Yanike wasn't happy - and his program was also apparently copyrighted, and they had this little flame war on WM lol.

And Yanike got temp banned for it

#20 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:00 AM

And Yanike got temp banned for it

lol, nice :P

btw, i don't think this is a big deal except that these guys are selling what should be free

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!