Photo
- - - - -

UBUNTU 9.10 The flaw in the plan

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala): Are You Experiencing Problems? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala): Are You Experiencing Problems?

1. Yes (10 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Voted No (15 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#21 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

I installed ubuntu 9.10 three days ago. The installation hanged at 80%. After turning off my modem i installed again and then the installation was smooth.

But after reading this post i am scared. If grub get corrupted how will i boot in to windows? Should i have to reinstall windows? I think it is better to uninstall ubuntu. But i didnt used wubi for installation. So how can i remove ubuntu without affecting windows?

You could use easybcd (windows) to put the windows boot loader back. Also you can add grub/ubuntu to the windows boot loader with easybcd.

But i think there is no need to be scared ;)

Thankyou

This easy bcd is great. (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y)

No problem. BTW i use easybcd 2.0 beta as it works even better with new ubuntu/grub.

#22 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

easiest way to get back the window boot loader is to find your windows install cd \ DVD.

in XP, boot, tell it to do a recovery during the blue screnn install, log in to your windows install, and type
fixboot
fixmbr

and simply reboot. Done.

in Vista ( and 7?) boot off of the DVD, click the Recover text at the bottom, after clicking Next, it will log in to a vista install. choose the CMD.exe window.
do this in the window
CD \
cd windows\system32
dir b*.exe

it will bring up some apps. the one with the capital B is what you want to run (i think it is BootCtr)
do this

BootCtr /fixboot
BootCtr /fixmbr

then just exit out and reboot, and you will have windows back.

#23 Guest_JJJ_*

Guest_JJJ_*

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:12 PM

I was running 9.04 and had tried the beta version of 9.10 but it wouldn't wake from sleep, unless I pressed the power button on my computer case, so that's as far as I got with the beta version. A few weeks later 9.10 went to GR and I decided to upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10. That was a mistake!!! I'm running the x64 version, but after upgrading my computer will still only wake from sleep if I press the power button on the case and Flash is really buggy and doesn't always work correctly (eWeek slide shows for one). These are things that I use on a daily basis and having them not work correctly is a deal breaker. Multiple monitor support is still flawed, if you ask me, when are they going to improve that? With the price of monitors so much cheaper these days you'd think they would make this a priority since a lot more people run multiple monitors. Those are just the main problems, and don't include the pain in the butt it is to get some network drivers and video drivers setup that seem to be an issue in any release of Linux. I was greatly disappointed and my confidence has not been bolstered with this new release.

#24 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 575 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

I was running 9.04 and had tried the beta version of 9.10 but it wouldn't wake from sleep, unless I pressed the power button on my computer case, so that's as far as I got with the beta version. A few weeks later 9.10 went to GR and I decided to upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10. That was a mistake!!! I'm running the x64 version, but after upgrading my computer will still only wake from sleep if I press the power button on the case and Flash is really buggy and doesn't always work correctly (eWeek slide shows for one). These are things that I use on a daily basis and having them not work correctly is a deal breaker. Multiple monitor support is still flawed, if you ask me, when are they going to improve that? With the price of monitors so much cheaper these days you'd think they would make this a priority since a lot more people run multiple monitors. Those are just the main problems, and don't include the pain in the butt it is to get some network drivers and video drivers setup that seem to be an issue in any release of Linux. I was greatly disappointed and my confidence has not been bolstered with this new release.

I'm guessing that it will take a few weeks for everything to be fixed via updates. But for now, I cannot use 9.10..

I rolled back to 9.04

#25 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

i went back to Vista, that is how much it upset me.

#26 fredekt

fredekt

WinMatrixian

• 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:17 PM

Is a free OS, ofcourse its bad.

#27 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

I have no doubt that you are stupid enough to believe that.

#28 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 575 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:49 AM

Is a free OS, ofcourse its bad.

I dont agree with that. Ubuntu has been excellent since its first release beck in October 2004. 9.10 is the first release which has so many irritating bugs (Like vista). I am sure 10.04 will be a great os (Like windows 7)

#29 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:15 AM

i went back to Vista, that is how much it upset me.

+1 Vista is going to be around a long time :)

#30 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:36 AM

I've received my Ubuntu CD yesterday, and the installation was smooth. I didn't get any error on my machine. They fixed the problem Hardware Drivers update in Karmic, i got problem with it when i try to update my ATI driver in Jaunty.

I tested on my friends laptop(Acer 5500 series - Intel GMA900), and it works perfectly. The drivers are working as intended and support compiz too unlike Microsoft's Aero(Intel & Microsoft are very ignorant company <_<).

Edited by zool, 22 November 2009 - 05:36 AM.

#31 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:21 AM

Only moronic fools feel the need to take potshots at other companies and OSes in threads that have nothing to do with them.

#32 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

fine.. whatever.. what i'm trying to say that Compiz is much better than Aero(Vista or 7) in terms of driver support and compatibility.. ignorant people like to call others a fool.. what's happening to this world - got no manners(i'm younger than you, but i respect older people) <_<

i'm not replying after this coz you tend to make a flame war..

Edited by zool, 22 November 2009 - 10:26 AM.

#33 theapu

theapu

BigB

• 575 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

fine.. whatever.. what i'm trying to say that Compiz is much better than Aero(Vista or 7) in terms of driver support and compatibility.. ignorant people like to call others a fool.. what's happening to this world - got no manners(i'm younger than you, but i respect older people) <_<

I am a big fan of compiz too. I feel compiz is way better in performance and resource consumptions comapring with aero. And ofcourse Compiz is much more customizable.

#34 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

Well, then, hopefully you can stay on topic in the future. Windows has no place in this thread.

#35 UbubtuRookie

UbubtuRookie

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

I am new to linux. I am a windows user.
Years(1999ish) ago I multi-booted windows and debian linux with
puppy linux. It went rather well. I quickly realized that
windows is a much better os for the average user, and linux was
for "Nerds" and teckies. No advantage other than better security and
it was free. The disadvantages are too many to list here(for the average user)

Fast forward(2009) and all the hype about Ubuntu.
I decided to give it a try as it is being toted as
a valid option to windows seven.

As an old windows user I was only going to try it if it could multi-boot
along side of windows xp(I am currently using that OS). The install
went fairly well, however i needed to create space for the linux partition
manually and swap file. also had to Know what mounting a partition was to
have it all work out(Here is flaw one..windows(read average) users would expect automatic
migration tool with higher end interface).

I figured it out with the help of an O'reily web page.
It went smoothly. Windows was booting along side of Ubuntu!
I could connect to the net via wire(Ubuntu built its own driver..smarter than windows).
But no native drivers were available and the wireless features of
my laptop were not available. I went to the toshishba web site, no
Ubuntu drivers for a generic Realtec(atheros) wireless(Flaw # 2, very serious in
2009 to not be able to surf wirelessly "out of the box").

I put that on the back burner. I am assuming that by doing some fancy update and
linux world contortion I could get it to work. (I expected this when I started)

What really got me though(And why I am posting here) is trying to do something as simple
as editing the boot menu. I am now 3 days in to this problem and no closer to a solution.

In the windows world two days tops to figure out a kludy solution.. :)

flaw 3(I know its beta 4 but don't release a beta Grub with a general ubunta .) makes it impossible to hide the boot menu and/or adjust the time out. From what
I am reading this only effects people multi-booting with windows xp).

It is a very small bug I know, but the creators must have figured that most Windows users
would only migrate to Ubuntu over time and most would want to be able to multi-boot.
This should of been enough to ensure using a stable boot loader for a wide release...

Anyway, thats my take. Linux has its features that make it attractive to the administrative
type. It no doubt has way better security and it is free. However if its goal is to win over
the average user, it misses the mark by a mile. Good luck with Ubuntu. I will try it again
in the future when they iron out these issues.

#36 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

Some good points, but some invalid ones as well.

The average consumer isn't going to be messing with his boot menu, so as long as it works...

#37 Guest_UbuntuCurious_*

Guest_UbuntuCurious_*

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:19 AM

That is true, Releasing a radically different Grub is more likely to alienate their own core if anybody.. I do hope ubuntu continues to evolve as I think the open software Idea is a good
one. I do like the look and feel of it. What happend to the penguin ?:)

If the wifi and the internet apps work, thats what will really matter as we enter into the age of cloud computing... OSes will become irrelevant(Thats why ubuntu needs a really good "killer app" :)

#38 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

Only moronic fools feel the need to take potshots at other companies and OSes in threads that have nothing to do with them.

Only moronic fools waste time replying to a thread in order to point out some one's wrongdoing and go extremely offtopic like woah

and when I say like woah I mean I 'm also doing it too and the argument is invalid, and I'm like just saving a beat-up and flamed user like zool from scary trolly-like people like adrynalyne (who had too much adrenalin that he's burning in rage). But I hope you learn something today here even though I appear like someone venting on someone sniffing arsenic.

That people are all moronic fools.

ontopic:: I don't know what exactly but Ubuntu lack something that Windows is best of, probably integration, or harmony?

Edited by coldemone, 27 November 2009 - 11:23 AM.

#39 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

Welcome to five days ago. Or did it take you that long to write your post? Its ok little one. Take a deep breath and it will all be ok.

And good job in taking a post that went back on topic, to off topic. You have won the internet!

Edited by adrynalyne, 27 November 2009 - 11:41 AM.

#40 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:54 AM

I don't know what exactly but Ubuntu lack something that Windows is best of, probably integration, or harmony?

Same here. May be because we are using Windows for a long time..

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!