Viruses and Spyware...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

XP - 'till the world blows up!

• 403 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

Do we need a new seperate section specifically for Viruses and Spyware?

It seems we are getting more and more requests to help...

I was thinking we could put together all of the old threads in one place that talk about Viruses and Spyware - there could even be sub-forums broken down by operating system.

We could also create a few 'Pinned" items (stickys) that explain:

"Where to post HijackThis Reports" as well as we can put togther a good list of freeware programs to be used to clean infected systems, etc.

This also can be where general security questions could be asked and general security topics could be discussed:

"What's the best Antivirus" "Whats the best Firewall" etc.

I nominate the following to be Mods for this new forum:

CommonSense and Syzygy and PurplePeopleEater

What say you all?

poolsharkzz

Attached File  2.gif   10.23K   0 downloads

#2 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

Vote no...

Why? This is a customization forum, NOT a malware help forum.

Plus, this would just entice guests to post there or 1 posters to get quick help and simply "hit and run". We do not need hit and runners here....

edit: auto posted...? never finished x.x

Edited by Munkypoo7, 04 November 2009 - 08:51 PM.

#3 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:27 AM

True - so what do we do...

Turn our bros away and others because we are a customization forum?

I understand and totally agree with what you are saying about the "hit and runners"...

Maybe a couple of "Pinned" threads under the "General Tech Discussion" section might do the trick?

We need something posted somewhere so that we don't keep repeating ourselves, you know? That way they can be pointed in the right direction.

poolsharkzz

Attached File  beerwez.gif   1.29K   0 downloads

Edited by poolsharkzz, 05 November 2009 - 12:28 AM.

#4 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:51 AM

I too have been noticing more malware combat help requests lately...

Back when I joined WinMatrix in late 2007, it was very much a customization communty. People were posting WB skins and system32 mods right and left.

Today, I see this forum more as a Windows enthusiast forum rather that just a customization forum.

A section devoted to Viruses/Malware is a -dare I say- crackalackin idea!

I even have a title for the new section: "Virus Busters"! :)

#5 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:27 AM

Yeah pm_41, you make a great point. I joined in 2007, and WinMatrix was slowly becoming enthusiast forums and there are more topics than just Windows customization now. I think we should have a forum or sub-forum for Malware problems. Ultimately it is up to Jatin, but it's a good idea. :yes:

#6 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:41 AM

Yeah pm_41, you make a great point. I joined in 2007, and WinMatrix was slowly becoming enthusiast forums and there are more topics than just Windows customization now. I think we should have a forum or sub-forum for Malware problems. Ultimately it is up to Jatin, but it's a good idea. :yes:

I too, do agree. Most topics now are more based on Windows/Windows News than customization. But having a anti-malware/virus section won't exactly make it much worse - infact, I think WM might get more hits (How does $$ sound Jatin? :P)

#7 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

All are really good points...

Yes, at one time this was just a customization forum, but things do change...

For example, because many members have moved away from the most customizable Operating System to date (being XP) to Vista and Windows 7, there isn't a whole lot of customization going on other than the occasional launch of a new Visual Style.

As I see it, there isn't a whole lot left that needs to be customized in Vista or Windows 7 - not to the level or extent that was needed or wanted in XP.

Also, most of what can be customized in XP has already been customized - many times over - there are no more "challenges" out there to overcome and conquer.

I mean, just take a look at my system: What's left to customize?

Thanks to the many kick-ass mods and such designed by a host of folks on this forum and others, I have my system totally pimped out - basically I have 95% of what Vista and Windows 7 is - already installed on my XP system!

All I have left to do is finally install VistaPack XP - I have just too swamped lately to individuality backup some of the files this program will change because I don't want to ResHacker them again. Some of the updated icons, images, and such that comes with this pack don't look cool with my Visual Style.

I still like the idea of a new section devoted to virus and spyware infections.

I've said my peace...

poolsharkzz

Attached File  rockon.gif   1.63K   0 downloads

Edited by poolsharkzz, 05 November 2009 - 05:47 PM.

#8 ShadowCoder

ShadowCoder

xIntegrated Technologies

• 315 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

I would tend to agree with the above statements. I have actually be around since 2004, despite my post counts lol. I would say that a malware section would be a good idea.

#9 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

(Y)
It's a "Windows Community" and viruses are the biggest threat to anyone surfing internet on Windows.

#10 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:46 PM

Posted Image
It's a "Windows Community" and viruses are the biggest threat to anyone surfing internet on Windows.

Agree - as we all well know, security and Windows go hand in hand...

Like a PB&J sandwich - you can't have one without the other!

poolsharkzz

Attached File  fam32.gif   4.75K   0 downloads

#11 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

Customization threads are lesser in number now coz the W7 customization scene hasnt heated up yet. People are still "getting used to" the new gui. I think it hasnt lost its visual appeal yet. Give a few days when it becomes boring and customization will be totally back.

But I will give a neutral vote on this topic. Malware forum seems a good idea but I dont see a immediate need tho...

#12 NealTheGuitarist

NealTheGuitarist

Nothing is sound

• 621 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

I think it's a Windows Community forum. No. I KNOW that it's a Windows Community forum because it is written just under the logo of Winmatrix.

So a help section will be good

#13 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

I think you would do better by sending the work to expert places who specialize in it, yet do not really pose a threat to Winmatrix due to different goals and purposes.

majorgeeks.com has a top notch malware forum.

#14 Heatseeker-X9

Heatseeker-X9

WinMatrixian

• Validating
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

I agree with Munkypoo7 & pm_41 +1. Even though I've always been the silent sort
of forum lurker, I guess it would hurt to help or point people in the right direction.

#15 fredekt

fredekt

WinMatrixian

• 189 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:39 PM

I Actully like the idea :)

#16 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:05 AM

I think you would do better by sending the work to expert places who specialize in it, yet do not really pose a threat to Winmatrix due to different goals and purposes.

majorgeeks.com has a top notch malware forum.

This.

I couldn't be bothered copying pasting like what they do over there :). They're nice and fast anyways, we're not always on.

#17 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:48 AM

I don't really see the Windows Customization Community here. I think it's just forum that get all crap inside Windows and then edit it, fix it or criticize it.

#18 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

So, is this a dead issue?

What about creating 2 or 3 "Pinned" Threads that point folks in the right direction?

To stop those from asking for help and then we never see them again, how about we make it so that only WinMatrix Members with a solid yellow star or they must have "x" number of posts under their belt in order to post for help?

Does anyone even care?

poolsharkzz

Attached File  multi%20talk.gif   39.94K   0 downloads

#19 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

I'd call it a dead issue. Who here has the knowledge that is on other forums to deal with the same thing?

Not to mention that traffic here isn't large enough to support it.

If you turn this into a malware fighting forum of any sorts, it will make the bulk of the traffic, assuming the helpers are proficient.

Which would totally undermine the theme of the site.

#20 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

I'd call it a dead issue. Who here has the knowledge that is on other forums to deal with the same thing?

Not to mention that traffic here isn't large enough to support it.

If you turn this into a malware fighting forum of any sorts, it will make the bulk of the traffic, assuming the helpers are proficient.

Which would totally undermine the theme of the site.

No - out of the question - that is not my intentions...

Mt thoughts were to have a small place in a corner somewhere where people can go to find the help they need without continously posting: "Help - I have a virus"...

If it's dead, it's dead...

poolsharkzz

Attached File  Death_Wheel.gif   61.07K   0 downloads

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!