For all you "Windows 7ers"

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

XP - 'till the world blows up!

• 403 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

For all you "Windows 7ers" that need to bash XP...

"Windows XP was first released on October 25, 2001, and over 400 million copies were in use in January 2006, according to an estimate made that month by an IDC analyst".

"As of the end of August 2009, Windows XP is the most widely used operating system in the world with a 66.2% market share, having peaked at 76.1% in January 2007. According to a Net Applications report, the Windows XP market share peaked as high as 85.3% in Dec. 2006."

Source: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Windows_XP

Let's say these numbers are correct - I wonder what they might look like in say a year's time?

I bet good money it will look something like this:

55% - XP
20% - Windows 7
15% - Vista
10% - other

I don't see Windows 7 making a huge impact - at least, not yet, I'm afraid.

Don't believe the hype - "Spin" had much with "doing in" Vista as everything else - let's not repeat history, okay?

I'm sorry my friends, it's still an XP World - and will still be an XP World for quite a few years from now.

Check out this thread: Personalize with XP

The whole point is simple:

If Dell doesn't believe - If other OEMs don't believe - that means that Microsoft doesn't believe.

Think about it...

I went over the weekend to Sam's Club / Walmart and saw that Windows 7 Home Premium was $125.00.

I thought about buying, but instead I decided to do a bit of reseach first and I am glad I did!

I learned this: Your XP-to-Windows 7 upgrade path

"According to Net Applications' Market Share Report, in August 2009, 71.7% of all Desktops were running XP, compared to a mere 18.8% running Vista." So, that means the great majority of Windows users will have to try to upgrade / migrate from XP to 7.

Do you think 71.7% of all desktops are just going to drop what they are doing to upgrade to Windows 7 - especially with all the headaches and frustrations attached?

Microsoft tells users to beware upgrading from Vista to Windows 7

Good Golly - it's the same with Vista - a royal pain in the ass to upgrade - sounds like a winner to me!

You must think I'm crazy - all that annoyance and labor for what, a 15% - 20% performance increase?

I don't think so!

The Windows 7 hype will fizzle out after the holidays, by January 1st at the most - and then we can all finally get back down to reality:

80% of XP systems will stay right where they are until they have a massive hardware failure and have to upgrade.
I'd also bet good money that 80% of those folks will get an OEM system and OEM version of Windows 7 - but that won't happen for a while yet - XP is still supported until April, 2014.

The facts are the facts...

After it becomes common knowledge that updating XP systems to Windows 7 will be a serious pain in the ass, there will be millions of folks screaming:

poolsharkzz

Attached File  Super_volley.gif   48.83K   1 downloads

Edited by poolsharkzz, 26 October 2009 - 09:40 PM.

#2 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

Where have you been? We've known this for a while now. Most users will still be buying 7 with a new PC.

Also, I agree with not supporting XP upgrades. Knowing user's bad habits and XP's lack of security, why transfer all that crap over to a new install? Even with Vista I would never upgrade.

#3 vD3stroyiR(666)

vD3stroyiR(666)

Dekwul

• 696 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

Isn't that the reason why 7 has XP Mode for Pro and Ultimate? :blink:
(poolsharkzz reminds me of the days of kaironxp)

Edited by vD3stroyiR(666), 26 October 2009 - 10:06 PM.

#4 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:22 PM

poolsharkzz please dont start up flamebait threads again.

#5 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

Where have you been? We've known this for a while now. Most users will still be buying 7 with a new PC.

Also, I agree with not supporting XP upgrades. Knowing user's bad habits and XP's lack of security, why transfer all that crap over to a new install? Even with Vista I would never upgrade.

Excellent points!

I've always been here - just not focused on Windows 7 - until now!

Besides what's already been discussed, Windows 7 has other issues:

Vista was launched way too late (and had it's early problems) and because of that there are too many XP systems out there (3-4 years worth) with 1st generation and 2nd generation Dual-Core Processors that are still hummin along pretty nicely...

Some of these 1st gen / 2nd gen dual-cores systems have the ability to upgrade hardware versus software - which seems a whole lot easier in my book than dealing with a Windows 7 upgrade.

For example: My system had the E2180 (July 2007) and last week I upgraded to the E7300 - it took 15 minutes and I am so very uber-pleased with the results!

If you have an older P3 or P4 - I'm sorry, but it's time to spend some money - that is, once your hard drive fries or motherboard melts. Your technology is too old. Maybe if you have the last version of the P4 - all depends on your socket.

After my research, the smartest way to upgrade (like the article said) will be to purchase a whole new OEM system loaded with Windows 7...

- or -

Stick with XP and upgrade the hardware you have - that is, if you can...

Throw in a flat panel: Best 27-Inch to 30-inch LCD Monitors

Don't forget the 100 watts multimedia sound system:

Philips Multimedia Speakers 2.1

and you're ready to go!

poolsharkzz

Attached File  scooter.gif   1.72K   0 downloads

Edited by poolsharkzz, 26 October 2009 - 10:53 PM.

#6 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:33 PM

poolsharkzz please dont start up flamebait threads again.

I'm not trying to - honest!

I'm just sharing my experiences this weekend and some facts, that's all.

I'm not trying to get into a Windows 7 is better than...

poolsharkzz

Attached File  See_Saw.gif   16.96K   0 downloads

#7 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

Just a fact: WinXP was there for almost 9 years already. I bet that in 5 years (or even less) XP's market share will be pushed out by actually modern operating systems.

#8 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:44 PM

Isn't that the reason why 7 has XP Mode for Pro and Ultimate? Posted Image
(poolsharkzz reminds me of the days of kaironxp)

Yes - but it's a whole lot more than than an "XP Mode" that I brought up.

I was bring up the fact that is will be a pain in the ass for some to upgrade or migrate their XP Systems to Windows 7 - as I discovered over the weekend.

I just wish folks would have brought this up eariler instead of making me do some research. I guess you all kinda missed that, huh?

kaironxp??? Come on, people...

What are you afraid of: Conversation is good...

I am not flaming anyone or anything.

If I'm wrong with something, please tell me -

If you don't like the subject - come up with another one or don't comment.

The facts are the facts - sometimes there is no getting around them.

poolsharkzz

Attached File  cheers2.gif   3.63K   0 downloads

Edited by poolsharkzz, 26 October 2009 - 11:24 PM.

#9 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

If Dell doesn't believe - If other OEMs don't believe - that means that Microsoft doesn't believe.

Think about it...

Yup, that's why the largest processor maker, Intel, is planning on upgrading to 7.

Boo-f**king-hoo! Clean installing is the best way to go. And it sucks that you have to reinstall all your programs, but I've done it for every time I've installed a version of Windows. Stop crying about it.

Also, I clean installed with the upgrade disk, so that disproves another myth about Windows 7.

Edited by CommonSense, 26 October 2009 - 10:50 PM.

#10 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:52 PM

Just a fact: WinXP was there for almost 9 years already. I bet that in 5 years (or even less) XP's market share will be pushed out by actually modern operating systems.

I agree - within 2 years after Microsoft finally stops supporting XP.

I am using the same model as what the market did with Win 9x Systems - within, what, a year of Microsoft not supporting them, the market stopped making software compatible? Yes, especially antivirus programs, firewalls, etc.

Again - just sharing my thoughts from a weekend of adventure!

Sorry to burst the "Windows 7 bubble"...

poolsharkzz

Attached File  Free_Yaaa.gif   14.1K   0 downloads

#11 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:12 PM

I agree with the Dell comment, Dell and HP are the most popular brands IMO, so if they dont support Windows 7 its not going to reach popularity that fast.

As long as they offer the XP downgrade XP will stay the dominant os (sadly)

Speaking of this has anyone noticed that MS and Sony hace been scratching eachothers backs lately? The majority of the widows 7 commercials feature sony computers (probably because they're stylish and have a similiar appeal to Apple computers correct?)

#12 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:23 PM

Think about it...

Yup, that's why the largest processor maker, Intel, is planning on upgrading to 7.

Boo-f**king-hoo! Clean installing is the best way to go. And it sucks that you have to reinstall all your programs, but I've done it for every time I've installed a version of Windows. Stop crying about it.

Also, I clean installed with the upgrade disk, so that disproves another myth about Windows 7.

Well, if you cleaned installed with your upgrade disk, that means that you didn't have a whole lot on your system to begin with or you removed everything first - either way the whole thing may be way over the head or too time consuming for the average user.

I have what seems is over 100 programs and all the little things that makes my computing life simple that is a pain to find and install - some most likely won't work yet with Windows 7 and I'm sorry but I'll cry if I want to!

I'd be a little more careful when you're "beating your chest" and quoting Intel and Microsoft in the same sentence...

"Vista Capable" Class Action Lawsuit

Antitrust Policies

Just Google: "Intel and Microsoft Lawsuits" and see what pops up.

As the story goes: Intel was getting it's pants beaten off them by AMD and needed a break or it was going to go under - Microsoft gave it to them by "whippin up" Vista in a hurry and shoving down the throats of the first round of buyers.

and that, my friend, is just the tip of the iceberg...

Intel and Microsoft have been in bed for years now - so what that Intel's is upgrading to Windows 7? I'd bet only a few large corporations will - it will be too expensive and there are no budgets.

Most likely Intel didn't pay for it - part of the many back-room deals they made with Microsoft.

Who knows? It's great that some have had a good experience with Windows 7 so far. I, on the other-hand, think it's way too much trouble and I will stay right where I am at.

poolsharkzz

Attached Files

Edited by poolsharkzz, 26 October 2009 - 11:49 PM.

#13 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:48 PM

I agree with the Dell comment, Dell and HP are the most popular brands IMO, so if they dont support Windows 7 its not going to reach popularity that fast.

Speaking of this has anyone noticed that MS and Sony hace been scratching each others backs lately? The majority of the widows 7 commercials feature sony computers (probably because they're stylish and have a similar appeal to Apple computers correct?)

Thank you... Exactly my point!

Sony is another one...

Which, don't get me wrong - It's good when technology corporations collaborate, a whole lot of "cool" can come from it, especially when it comes to hardware and software synergy and compatibility.

Sexy, spiffy, sleek, slender, and slim is the wave of the future...

poolsharkzz

Attached File  yahoo.gif   6.22K   0 downloads Attached File  cool2.gif   1.91K   0 downloads

#14 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

Speaking of this has anyone noticed that MS and Sony hace been scratching eachothers backs lately? The majority of the widows 7 commercials feature sony computers (probably because they're stylish and have a similiar appeal to Apple computers correct?)

I don't think they are offering the downgrade anymore.

If they are, that is a very unwise decision. Downgrading to an 8 year old OS on today's' hardware will cripple a machine. There is no reason to downgrade off of Windows 7.

#15 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:40 PM

I don't think they are offering the downgrade anymore.

If they are, that is a very unwise decision. Downgrading to an 8 year old OS on today's' hardware will cripple a machine. There is no reason to downgrade off of Windows 7.

Yes - Dell is still offering the downgrade - I believe HP is as well.

If you are buying a new system - Windows 7 is the way to go.

The problem I see is that if the user has an older XP system say with a P3 or a P4, CRT Monitor, and that crappy, sub-standard printer that came with the system - the whole thing can become a very expensive upgrade...

This is why I believe they are offering the downgrade - to offer the user a cheaper alternative - thus still making the sale.

poolsharkzz

Attached File  th_drunk.gif   13.76K   0 downloads

Edited by poolsharkzz, 27 October 2009 - 09:43 PM.

#16 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

What? That's when buying a new PC in its entirety. A person with a top-notch gaming PC and a sub-standard PC are going to be paying the same price for a new PC. Desktops are really cheap now... I've seen them around $500 for a decent system.

#17 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:23 PM

What? That's when buying a new PC in its entirety. A person with a top-notch gaming PC and a sub-standard PC are going to be paying the same price for a new PC. Desktops are really cheap now... I've seen them around $500 for a decent system.

You got my head spinnin round and round - try this again - but next time a bit more slowly.

poolsharkzz

Attached File  see_stars.gif   2.34K   0 downloads

Edited by poolsharkzz, 27 October 2009 - 10:24 PM.

#18 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:29 PM

The problem I see is that if the user has an older XP system say with a P3 or a P4, CRT Monitor, and that crappy, sub-standard printer that came with the system - the whole thing can become a very expensive upgrade...

This is why I believe they are offering the downgrade - to offer the user a cheaper alternative - thus still making the sale.

poolsharkzz

No matter the specs of the user's current computer, buying a new PC is the same price. You are talking about upgrading here whereas we are talking about buying a new PC with the option of downgrading to XP. So offering the downgrade is more expensive.

Your logic confuses me.

You got my head spinnin round and round - try this again - but next time a bit more slowly.

poolsharkzz

Any better? :huh:

Edited by CommonSense, 27 October 2009 - 10:31 PM.

#19 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:06 AM

poolsharkzz

No matter the specs of the user's current computer, buying a new PC is the same price. You are talking about upgrading here whereas we are talking about buying a new PC with the option of downgrading to XP. So offering the downgrade is more expensive.

Your logic confuses me.

poolsharkzz

Any better? Posted Image

Better - don't be a smart-ass.

Buying a new PC versus an upgrade versus a downgrade is not the same price:

If I have an older P4, CRT Monitor, crappy printer - I am going to have to upgrade them all if I'm going to be riding with Windows 7, right?

Take that $500 you mentioned and go to Dell's or HP's website and build your own system - then come back here with the results.

A new system - a decent, above average system - one that won't be outdated in say 6 months - I'd bet you will spend $800 easily. I know I would...

An upgrade will cost you what the disk costs - $125.00 for Windows 7 Home Premium?

They are having many deals on XP downgrades right now - you can pick up a box (all you need is the tower) for less than $400 bucks at Dell...

Check it out

Not to mention...

Dell Outlet

Locally here in Chicago we have a fairly large competitor to NewEgg called MicroCenter...

http://www.microcenter.com/

There are too many deals to choose from!

I'm sorry - Your logic confuses me.

poolsharkzz

Attached File  console.gif   11.04K   0 downloads

Edited by poolsharkzz, 28 October 2009 - 12:29 AM.

#20 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:26 AM

It wouldn't be a gaming rig, but a pretty decent rig. And no on newer systems built by Dell, it is extra to downgrade to XP. And it's only around $30 to upgrade to 7 Home Premium.

And you can't upgrade all of that for under $500. You can upgrade your PC though, but stick with your other stuff. I found this Dell on Best Buy for less than $500.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!