• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 M!W

M!W

Active WinMatrixian

• 306 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:16 AM

I never said otherwise.

I just said Linux was a geek oriented, hobby OS.

That said, I like Linux. I'm just not ignorant enough to think that it will make it as a consumer OS without major change in both usability and who it caters to.

Take a look at Android, Moblin, Ubuntu Netbook Remix...

My aunt uses Ubuntu Netbook Remix and she likes it much more than Windows XP (she is not very experienced with computers, she just wants to surf, write a few letters and print them, that's it)

#42 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

Ah well.. its nice to have mutilple OSes in your pc. When i got bored playing games in my Windows, i switched to Ubuntu. :P

#43 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:39 PM

I never said otherwise.

I just said Linux was a geek oriented, hobby OS.

That said, I like Linux. I'm just not ignorant enough to think that it will make it as a consumer OS without major change in both usability and who it caters to.

Take a look at Android, Moblin, Ubuntu Netbook Remix...

My aunt uses Ubuntu Netbook Remix and she likes it much more than Windows XP (she is not very experienced with computers, she just wants to surf, write a few letters and print them, that's it)

Moblin hides a lot of the Linux nastiness, as Im sure Remix does. Covering it up sounds a lot like what Windows 9x did, and people bitched about it running on top of DOS. OS X does this too, but its integration is infinitely more than these netbook OSes.

Nonetheless--what is the marketshare of those three combined compared to just...say...Apple?

Netbooks are a niche market. When you buy a ~300 dollar machine, expect an experience worth that much in quality too. Don't expect to be doing any type of high powered graphics work, playing any real game, or running any high end software.

Let me ask this.

As a consumer, what can you do to convince me that Linux will work more efficiently, and easier to get my job done than Windows or OS X? Don't say cost, because most go OEM, and it comes with the OS they need.

--Thats the very hurdle that Linux distros will need to overcome if they will ever be taken serious in the consumer's mind. This is hard for the average geek to comprehend, because they don't think like the average consumer. THe common geek thinks that because its easy to them, it must be easier to everyone else.

Not everyone out there is interested in seeing how many shells they can run, how cool they can make their UI, or that they can compile their own stuff.

Edited by adrynalyne, 13 October 2009 - 02:51 PM.

#44 andrey

andrey

New WinMatrixian

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

As a consumer, what can you do to convince me that Linux will work more efficiently, and easier to get my job done than Windows or OS X?

I can play all my music and videos, view photos from my camera , load my ipod , scan , print , use my webcam edit .docx documents , read pdf are few things to mention . Either me or my wife are on line all the time , we don have stereo at home , so our computer is on all the time playing tunes in the background , at night we put it to sleep , no neet to shut down. We never have to defrag , clean registry , worry about viruses , spyware and what not . Updates come in , i update and do not need to reboot. All my software is legit , no need for warez and cracks ,and serial generators .
We use Gimp , Open Office , Firefox , Picasa , VLC , Rhytmbox , Devede , Vbox .

I never need to use CLI (COMMAND LINE INTERFACE ) or compile anything . And only time reboot is needed is for kernel updates .

That is lots of good reasons to use free hobby operating system .
MS has a army of IT minds and they still can not secure windows , or use nice file system that will not slow down in few months time .

And Ui makes Vista looks like win 95 ! It is 2009 and still no multiple desktop in MS products

Edited by andrey, 14 October 2009 - 03:52 AM.

#45 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:52 AM

None of that would convince me to convert from OS X or Windows.

Both of them do that already.

As for viruses....never had one. Never. Not on OS X, not on Windows. Same goes for spyware.

My machines sleep, Vista, and 7. I also, do not shut them down.

I haven't defragged a computer in years. Its almost never needed. Whats the point of cleaning the registry, exactly? It doesnt speed up your machine, or enhance performance.

Most updates do not require reboots in Windows or OS X, either.

None, and I do mean none, of the filesystems OS X or Windows use slow down over time.

I have been using Linux since '96, you can't bullshit me.

Besides, the questionI asked was rhetorical, more than anything. The only thing I myself have found that Linux does more efficiently than Windows, but NOT OS X, is coding and compiling.

Comparing the UI of XP, 7, or Vista to out of the box Linux is pretty funny, too.

Compare old screenshots of gnome to new. Not as much as you might think has changed.

Edited by adrynalyne, 14 October 2009 - 04:02 AM.

#46 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:20 AM

And Ui makes Vista looks like win 95 ! It is 2009 and still no multiple desktop in MS products

Gnome 1 circa 1999

Posted Image

Gnome 2.8.1 2009
Posted Image

Windows 95
Posted Image

Windows Vista
Posted Image

Who are you kidding? You are right, no multiple desktops. Takes about 3 seconds to find and download a utility to add them. FYI, in case you didn't know, the GUI is an ADDON to Linux as well.

Can Linux be made to look fantastic, well beyond Windows? Sure. That just proves my point that Linux caters to the geek. It does not come shipped that way.

Edited by adrynalyne, 14 October 2009 - 04:23 AM.

#47 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:11 AM

Linux is like China, they all have good copy stuff, almost, there's some they cannot copy things like games, softwares and right grammar, but because of what they had been and what their culture was, they were led into this quality of merchandise. (some cheap comparative analysis there, hope no one offended)

#48 andrey

andrey

New WinMatrixian

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

Well then, there is one reason not to use Windows crap :
http://voices.washin...re_bank_on.html
http://www.itnews.co...et-banking.aspx

If this is not sufficient , i do not know what is .
As for trusting MS with your data :
http://www.itworld.c...est-failure-yet

It is no wonder people world wide are walking away from MS Windows :
http://blogs.compute...ndows_for_linux
http://www.cyberciti...s-to-linux.html

If Google , NYSE , and others are walking away , damn it must be good enough for my household .
As for gui , look at KDE 4.3 :
http://images.google...F-8&sa=N&tab=wi

One more thing , if you do not reboot after many MS updates you do not apply all patches until you reboot , therefore leaving yourself with false sense of protection .

Enjoy your MS experience and security folks ! I will stick with linux any day

#49 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:48 PM

One more thing , if you do not reboot after many MS updates you do not apply all patches until you reboot , therefore leaving yourself with false sense of protection .

No--you are clueless. Not all updates require reboots, same Linux, same as OS X. Not sure why you think they do, but keep on trucking being ignorant.

Your second link is not found. Blind google much?

As for the London Stock Exchange having problems due to a catastrophic failure, as they put it---methinks the IT staff don't know what redundancy is.
That can happen with ny server OS.

Once again, weak arguments. Let me do some blind googling as well, just to counter them.

Linux hacked more often than Windows
http://www.zdnet.com...q=f&oq=&aqi=g10

Linux hacked more often than Windows 2003
http://it.toolbox.co...dows-2003-23371

ASUS EeePC with Linux hacked out of the box
http://tech.blorge.c...out-of-the-box/

Your Distro is Insecure: Ubuntu
http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7297

See? I can use the Internet to say whatever I want. I could keep going, but there isn't a lot of point.

Learn to think for yourself, and formulate your own argument.

If its KDE 4.3--I am sorry, it may be pretty, but its far from as efficient as the Windows or OS X UI.

This just solidifies my stance that Linux caters to the geek more than common consumer.

I find it hilarious that your fanboy attitude blinds you to the point of my argument:

I never said Linux sucks, so why are you trying to convince me otherwise?
Linux is not ready for the average consumer, and won't be until it changes its target audience.

Edited by adrynalyne, 14 October 2009 - 01:52 PM.

#50 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:11 PM

Oh wow.. Nice picture you got that adrynalyne :P

I think Linux conquer more in mobile/smartphone world. Look what happened to Windows Mobile, not much to talk about it and many people don't like it because its ugly UI. You also can use Linux on consoles like PS3, PSP, etc.. :P
They are getting bigger in other fields, but they still need to catchup with Windows. I think they depends too much on Windows development.
Does Linux has its own DirectX or something like that? I wished they can come up with something that can challenge Microsoft DirectX. ;)

#51 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

No, DirectX is proprietary.

Too bad, it would allow Linux users to play Windows games via WINE without any real ill effects or performance drops.

As soon as Linux standardizes a distro, and therefore a package management system, then makes it a little more consumer friendly, I think it could be a real competitor for OS X or Windows.

Ubuntu is getting there, but hasn't quite made it. Give it another year or two, then who knows?

#52 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

No, DirectX is proprietary.

Too bad, it would allow Linux users to play Windows games via WINE without any real ill effects or performance drops.

As soon as Linux standardizes a distro, and therefore a package management system, then makes it a little more consumer friendly, I think it could be a real competitor for OS X or Windows.

Ubuntu is getting there, but hasn't quite made it. Give it another year or two, then who knows?

Ahh.. just like ATI driver. We had to download from the official site to get the updates.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!