Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

How about this :P

% cat "food in cans"
cat: can't open food in cans

% nice man woman
No manual entry for woman.

% "How would you rate Quayle's incompetence?
Unmatched ".

% Unmatched ".
Unmatched ".

% [Where is Jimmy Hoffa?
Missing ].

% ^How did the sex change operation go?^
Modifier failed.

% If I had a ( for every $ the Congress spent, what would I have?
Too many ('s.

% make love
Make: Don't know how to make love. Stop.

% sleep with me
bad character

% got a light?
No match.

% man: why did you get a divorce?
man:: Too many arguments.

% !:say, what is saccharine?
Bad substitute.

% %blow
%blow: No such job.

% \(-
(-: Command not found.

$ PATH=pretending! /usr/ucb/which sense
no sense in pretending!

$ drink matter
matter: cannot create

Posted Image

http://frankmash.blo...x-commands.html

Edited by zool, 10 October 2009 - 05:33 PM.

#23 MaximusAxis

MaximusAxis

The Greatest Form of Complexity is Simplicity

• 484 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

I read this from http://www.linuxhaxor.net/?p=1441

9) You shouldn't switch to Linux because… you have to be a geek to use Linux and we all know that geeks don't have girlfriend.

This is true only if you're still in high school. Passed that age and all girls care about is whether you have money or not.

#24 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:55 AM

1) You shouldn’t switch to Linux because… you actually enjoy paying for an operating system that is so mired with bugs and issues that it shouldn’t be even released as an alpha build. What recession?

I pay for Windows because I choose to.

2) You shouldn’t switch to Linux because… change is always scary. Look at Obama, he scares the shit out of me. I voted for him but he always talks about change and change is always scary even if that change will make things better.

I'm not afraid of change. Again, I use Windows because I choose to do so.

3) You shouldn’t switch to Linux because… the only thing you use your computer is to play games. I mean people still use computer for anything other than games?

I use my PC for other things too. Actual work. Perhaps you have heard of it?

4) You shouldn’t switch to Linux because… You love to dedicate one whole day of your week just for scanning purposes. Anti-virus scan – Spyware Scan – Defragmentation scan – Registry Scan & defrag. What Fun!

Last time I ran a defrag on my own was with Windows 98. My AV runs in the background, and I run a registry scan once a month. Yet another BS excuse.

5) You shouldn’t switch to Linux because… You love to pay for Anti-virus/spywares (with yearly subscription renewal) for protection that the OS should provide you in the first place. Even though Windows Defender does a fabulous job, its just not there yet.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Last time I paid for AV was running Windows 98.

These are BS excuses from yet another Linux tool. What kind of website is that?

Edited by Frylock86, 11 October 2009 - 12:56 AM.

#25 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

1) You shouldn’t switch to Linux because… you actually enjoy paying for an operating system that is so mired with bugs and issues that it shouldn’t be even released as an alpha build. What recession?

All people are like that because we have being brainwashed by MS to use their products. What would happened if Linux was introduced earlier before Win 98 to the commercial world?

4) You shouldn’t switch to Linux because… You love to dedicate one whole day of your week just for scanning purposes. Anti-virus scan – Spyware Scan – Defragmentation scan – Registry Scan & defrag. What Fun!

Last time I ran a defrag on my own was with Windows 98. My AV runs in the background, and I run a registry scan once a month. Yet another BS excuse.

Wow, you are good because no antivirus/spyware came after you unlike many other people.

I only know about linux when i first heard about "Fedora" and "Ubuntu" in my university 4 years ago. :P

#26 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

All people are like that because we have being brainwashed by MS to use their products. What would happened if Linux was introduced earlier before Win 98 to the commercial world?

Then Linux would be in the position Microsoft is today. However, Linux has a long ways to go if they wanna see a larger user base.

Edited by Frylock86, 11 October 2009 - 11:39 AM.

#27 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

^Yup. I couldn't agree more. It just need some good advertising to get more people to use it.

Computers are like air conditioners -- they stop working properly if you open WINDOWS

3 people had carpool: a mechanical engineer, a electrical engineer and a Microsoft programmer. But the car suddenly broke down.
Mechanical engineer said: "Hey! It has to be the fuel injection. Lemme fix it."
The electrical engineer didn't agree: "It's magneto probably. I'll fix it."
Microsoft programmer shoke his head and said: "Hey guys, I have a simpler idea: Let's just close all the windows, get out of the car,then get back into it, and it should run!"

Edited by zool, 11 October 2009 - 01:35 PM.

#28 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:48 AM

It needs more than good advertising. It needs to be user friendly on all fronts, not just the surface.

The first time a user wants to install something that isn't available to their package management system, there is a huge problem.

No, the average joe does not want to learn how to package something. No, the average joe does not want to maintain or compile his own driver.

While Linux is catered to the hardcore geek, it will never succeed where Windows and OS X have. This will keep it as a hobby OS in perpetuity.

Lets play devil's advocate though. What if Linux was in the position Windows is in today? What would we hear?

"Linux sucks".

Most people bitch about Windows because it takes attention off their own inability to operate an OS properly. It would be the same if you switched the role of Microsoft and a major distro. People would just bitch about Linux instead.

#29 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:33 AM

^All games are like that and that includes XP. All the "recommended requirements" are not enough to play games smoothly or using high settings ;)

Ahh, but in CSS I have to run the game in DX7 with everything on low to manage 15 FPS, max and live with the game crashing every 3-5 minutes. Yet in the stress test, I get 160+ FPS with everything (except AA and AF) maxed. But to me, that's not acceptable. I shouldn't need a 5 GHz Core i7 with tri-SLi GTX 285's to get the same performance on my AMD X2 4200+ @ 2.2 GHz with a 8800GTS 512mb. That, to me, isn't a problem with my computer, it's a problem with WINE.

But it is better than Mac, i think. Because we don't have to port games and there is a service that allow you to play games on Mac, but you need to pay for it. but for Linux, its free except the original game. ;)

This is false. Yes, there are pay services for Mac, just as there are for Linux. There's Crossover for Mac and for Linux. Know why? Because both products are based off of Wine, and the sales of both help the development of Wine. However, Wine can most certainly be installed on Mac. I've done it. You install macports and then you install the latest version of Wine from macports. That's the beauty of having a Unix compliant system. They're compatible with each other. GIMP can be easily compiled for Mac OS X, Linux or any Unix system because they have maintained a level of binary compatibility with each other.

So, it's not better, or even worse, for Mac. It's the same. Wine can be run on Mac with relative ease.

Edited by The Flashing Fish, 12 October 2009 - 01:34 AM.

#30 Airflow

Airflow

wolfriA

• 796 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:28 AM

OH MY GOD, NOW YOU UNDERSTAND WHY I DON'T USE LINUX!!

Haha, just kidding.

I actually don't use Linux. Because I find myself playing games and I dunno how to play them on Linux, and I'm too ignorant to learn. Windows 7 ftw.

#31 Fugal

Fugal

Fugality

• 121 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:53 AM

two reasons I stay with Windows.

1. I couldn't be bothered learning how to use a Linux.
2. I am comfortable enough using good old windows xp, I know how to use it, and it does everything I want to do

so why would I change to something completely new to me?

#32 USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,787 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

I couldn't be bothered learning how to use a Linux.

This is the main reason people don't use Linux.

#33 Genius314

Genius314

WinMatrixian

• 192 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:48 PM

I couldn't be bothered learning how to use a Linux.

This is the main reason people don't use Linux.

Yet they could be bothered enough to learn how to use Vista or 7...

#34 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:07 AM

To compare the learning curve of a geek hobby OS and a consumer OS is laughable, at best.

#35 Genius314

Genius314

WinMatrixian

• 192 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:12 AM

To compare the learning curve of a geek hobby OS and a consumer OS is laughable, at best.

It is funny, because there are kids who can learn Linux within a couple of hours...

Edited by Genius314, 13 October 2009 - 12:12 AM.

#36 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:58 AM

Yep. Kids also are ideal for learning second languages at a very young age.

Does that mean an adult who struggles with it is an idiot?

Completely irrelevant.

Those same kids who learned Linux so quickly would find Windows or OS X that much quicker to learn.

Edited by adrynalyne, 13 October 2009 - 12:59 AM.

#37 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:52 AM

I'm not a geek because i don't do source code and other stuff. What i like about ubuntu is the flexibilities. You can tune your Ubuntu into something that you like. It can imitate Mac and Windows desktop environment. Ubuntu is fun to customize according to your taste. Everyday i do some searching to add new stuffs in it, and always stunned by the modifications that the people have brought into it. :lol:
And don't worry if you got something wrong happened when trying to modify your linux because its easy to get the solution in the internet. :lol:
I used to be a Mac-wannabe-fanboy, but when i saw the environment is statics like Windows, i started to indulge myself in Ubuntu. I'm not a fanboy coz i'm still using Windows. Lets just say that, i like a dynamic environments and tend to change everytime i found new things. I can't do this in Windows or Mac ;)

Edited by zool, 13 October 2009 - 02:57 AM.

#38 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:11 AM

Thats the definition of a geek. :P

#39 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:33 AM

A person who is interested in technology, especially computing and new media. Geeks are adept with computers, and use the term hacker in a positive way, though not all are hackers themselves.

I think that includes you :whistle:

#40 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:42 AM

I never said otherwise.

I just said Linux was a geek oriented, hobby OS.

That said, I like Linux. I'm just not ignorant enough to think that it will make it as a consumer OS without major change in both usability and who it caters to.

Edited by adrynalyne, 13 October 2009 - 06:43 AM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!